The coach on footy classified tonight.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

erm, not at this stage, no.

GreatNo9s
Club Player

If Dempster kicks one of those bombs every week he can play 100 games !

Who is the best number 9 for the Saints ?
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The show is lame but Lyon impressed me, he didn't let much get past him and covered himself pretty well. Calm and decisive.

Damn shame they didn't ask him some important questions about his game plans and specific problems with some of our players re: kicking etc.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:Who else here thinks Dempster will be a 100 game player for us like Rossy?
schneider will be,

dempster if he plays like he did on sunday yeah

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Did you hear that?

They ask a question about Richo and whether hes struggling and whats Caro's reply?

"hes not getting paid as much as Nick Dal Santo......Im not picking on Nick Dal SANTO..." - nah but you just thought you'd pot him???? and avoid the Richo question alltogether??????

GET SOME OBJECTIVITY YOU CLOWN

THIS Tw@T really doesnt like us.......what a troll.

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

:D
FInally Gary says what we all want to hear- and with a semi serious face as well- 'shushhhh caro'- and cutting her off.

not getting saints people to comment- they really mean 'we can't get to nick reiwoldt and Luke Ball' and your not telling us what we think is happening.
they never ask for Max and over time Robert Harvey has made it pretty clear he doesn't like it....

you can't say that Fraser hasn't done his fair share this year-- feels like he's been on more programs than ever in his career.

yet again the journo- Caro- had an idea of what she thinks is happening and what she heard didn't match it so she just talked over the top and said I don't agree- Ross then said well that's your subjective opinion...( ie NOT FACT)
compared to Arch or dare I say it even Hutchy who atleast gave the impression of 'LISTENING ' to the answer and taking it on board.
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 03 Jun 2008 12:36am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Come to think of it, Ross mentions Sydney nearly everytime he speaks......I agree with her.....F*** Sydney, we have their coach, fitness guy, players, gamestyle and a reference to sydney every week.
Please tell me your not serious?

Where the f@rks he from?

Get a clue FFS geezus we have some goons on this thing.......

Please Ross take the "I love St Kilda lots" test anmd shut the whingeing girls up.... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I think he was laughing to himself in the end that all they threw at him was the same crap he had already answered and asking for his comment on some stale articles - no news at all!
Silly waste of space - the lot of the interviewers.
I would like to see more optimism from Ross - but maybe after a few more wins.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
savatage
SS Life Member

Sam Newman should've gotten a promotion.It's not a "woman" thing Caro, you're just a horrible muckracker.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

'closing cook'

caro is WRONG :o

savatage
SS Life Member

mbogo wrote:I think he was laughing to himself in the end that all they threw at him was the same crap he had already answered and asking for his comment on some stale articles - no news at all!
Silly waste of space - the lot of the interviewers.
I would like to see more optimism from Ross - but maybe after a few more wins.
I hope he can claim the petrol bill as a "business expense" otherwise what a complete waste of time & effort!

benengel14
Club Player

For those that missed it; pretty much standard responses; nothing that will generate any new press. I've tried to keep it neutral except for my comments (separated) so that it doesn't read like a daily newspaper article.

- Caro asked most of the questions, and probably the most significant issue she raised was RL's attitude towards Stkilda as a club and whether he has fully embraced it. An area that hasn't received much attention from the media from the angle that - this is holding us back. (more in relation to the club as a whole rather than gameday tactics)

She pointed out RL's seemingly repetitive comparisons to 'what use to happen at sydney', while RL's logical response was that 'we're all a product of our past'. And claimed to have embraced Stkilda football club.
(My take: CW was on the money with this one, I mean none of us can truly know what he thinks, our view is purely based on his language and comments. But I think a lot of the culture regarding St Kilda does jar with his experiences and his vision.)

An issue that does get a run every few weeks - the club's apparent attitude towards dealing with the media.
FC team stated that StKFC was the hardest club to get player interviews from, RL refuted this with examples of players who have provided interviews recently. Although from previous articles it has been reported that RL doesn't always perform his minimum press requirements.
RL said he had nothing to do with the club's purported media defensiveness, rather any such directive would be part of commercial side of the StKFC.
(My take: If you listen to enough Ross Lyon interviews and post match pressers; the way he answers is very defensive. Rarely accepts the premise of any of the questions. And while he may technically be correct in his responses, there are many opportunities to be had by embracing the role of the media, rather than 'learning to minimise risk/damage control'.
While no coach has full disclosure for every press question, they are able to actively sell alternate stories, rather than dismissing the premise and engaging in a debate.)

Footy trivia/non-issues:
- talked about Andrew Thompson's coverage of the Brisbane match on SEN. Claimed that he had no involvement in Thompson's decision to not call St Kilda matches. Did state that he had a 30 minute conversation with AT last week where the two spoke frankly.

- Archer read a talking point from the FC script; RL then discussed Max Hudghton, and all the usual spin one can put on it

- Westaway's comments about 10 year contract; RL was apparently pleased. Didn't think it was naiive, and that most people could see through that and see it as a desire for long term stability.
(My take: GW wanted to defend the coach, and had to say something bold to get the issue of the week, because of his low-profile media hacks decided to portray him as naiive. Few other presidents would have copped that.)

- The re-drafting of Gehrig: Lyon said he is a chance to return later in the season after his surgery this week on his hand. Depending on rehab/training. Hutchy wanted RL to clarify whether he had regrets about Gehrig, RL was pretty adamant about his role and the decision made.

- Picking up/trading for players rather than going into national draft with more picks. Scneider/Dempster/Gardiner all have important roles, all long-term key prospects. King/Gardi were low-cost/no-risk.

- Premiership window. No one needs a re-cap of RL comments on this subject, only heard it once a week for past year and a half.
Last edited by benengel14 on Tue 03 Jun 2008 1:01am, edited 2 times in total.

SainterX
Club Player

closing thought - Chris Judd must be wanting to top himself right now because Garry has found a new love child in Lance Franklin :P

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Damn shame they didn't ask him some important questions about his game plans and specific problems with some of our players re: kicking etc.
poorly researched by the lot of them. would have taken five minutes on this site to find some questions more in tune with what the fans are talking about.

GreatNo9s
Club Player

Mbogo - I hear you but does Ross actually get any space to talk us up tonight ?

Most of that rubbish was on the negatives - whcih annoys me no end

ALthough we played Melbourne - we won, we kicked a few goals, the rucks looked pretty good, we included a few new players after the BNE debacle

If Ferg kciked straight they would have been raving about him. Armo was alright as was Geary IMO

Why didn;t Carro raise these new blokes or talk about the NAB Cup form ?

Who is the best number 9 for the Saints ?
SainterX
Club Player

If you could all have sent in a question for Ross to answer what would you have asked?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:Who else here thinks Dempster will be a 100 game player for us like Rossy?
Didn't hear him say that, but he talked about speed and carry. Hopefully Dempster is just settling in, in which case he may play 100.

savatage
SS Life Member

GreatNo9s wrote: Why didn;t Carro raise these new blokes or talk about the NAB Cup form ?
Simply because she's a pessimistic parasite that feeds off negativity. Media should be balanced with positive as much as issues of concern. She's made an artform out of being a four letter word starting with C that women don't like to hear.

savatage
SS Life Member

SainterX wrote:If you could all have sent in a question for Ross to answer what would you have asked?
Form of Michael Gardiner
Goal Kicking Issues (accuracy)
Matthew Ferguson's future prospects
Our draftees from this year
Game plan issues

Certainly wouldn't have wasted time asking the same questions that have been asked before mainly pertaining to regurgitated media quotes!
Last edited by savatage on Tue 03 Jun 2008 12:47am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:If you could all have sent in a question for Ross to answer what would you have asked?
the lack of form of our key forwards. caro is obsessed in the politics (boardroom) side of football and not interested enough in the actual game, imo.

SainterX
Club Player

Re: Kicking accuracy

Is it possible that after practising kicking in the wind at Moorabbin that the players are too dumb to realise there is little wind in TD? :twisted:

Pretty hard to adjust for something that isn't really there LOL

benengel14
Club Player

A few people on this thread would do well to imagine that the questions/issues raised by CW came from a 300 game veteran, and would then probably be able to discuss the issues.

For those that watch FC regularly (not myself); isn't the show more about what will be included in this week's papers that will sell, rather than any sort of match day analysis or game-day strengths/weaknesses.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

benengel14 wrote:A few people on this thread would do well to imagine that the questions/issues raised by CW came from a 300 game veteran, and would then probably be able to discuss the issues.

For those that watch FC regularly (not myself); isn't the show more about what will be included in this week's papers that will sell, rather than any sort of match day analysis or game-day strengths/weaknesses.
A few people who admit they dont watch the show - I watch it weekly - would do well to get some tapes and watch the constant stream of negativity from her mout for all things St Kilda.

That and shes a man - equin.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterX
Club Player

Yeah bring back Sam Newman and send her to counselling in his place :P

savatage
SS Life Member

benengel14 wrote:A few people on this thread would do well to imagine that the questions/issues raised by CW came from a 300 game veteran, and would then probably be able to discuss the issues.

I have no idea my friend. I don't watch this show, I just heard our coach was going to be on & expected his answers to football related questions - I certainly won't be watching it again because it was an absolute waste of my time.