Brent Guerra

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Brent Guerra

I know this has been talked about before, but so have most things we all post.

How handy would he be in the side at the moment?

Someone mentioned in another thread that he could be the hard nut we need in the backline. Thomas never played him in the friggin backline, he just figured that if he couldn't get a kick as a small forward (which happens to the best of them) then he was no use. Could have at least tried him.

He's a good kick of the footy too. Something most of our backmen aren't.
The opposition feared him too, because they knew they could get seriously lined up for a hard bump.

I was amazed and still am that a bloke could be selected for a preliminary final and then delisted just a few weeks later.

Could be up there with Shane Wakelin as one of the most pointless delistings of the past decade.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Agree 100%.
However expect to be crushed in this thread by the masses. Made similar comments two years ago and everyone thought it was a laughable idea to let him go....
Guerra played some ordinary games towards the end of his time with little efffort at Stkilda,but half our list seems to have done this and gotten away with it.
Was and still is exactly what we need. Bad decision

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Well, well

Mr guerra is making a rapid move up the popularity charts with some of the list-obsessed GT-bashers on here

Not long ago, he was a mainstay of the list of "recycled players who GT wasted picks on in an effort to top up

Well, at least these folks are consistent in giving it to GT whether he was coming, going or in between!!

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

was the whipping boy at the forums along with blake.

did ok, but was unfit, lazy and refused to tackle.

His bumps came off once or twice a game, the rest of teh time, the better footballers rolled off him.

GT couldn't turn him around, so we let go of him, at the folks said brilliant, waste of rubbish.

there was NOTHING wrong with the talent, it was is there, there was a problem with attitude.

since then he tackles instead of bumps, he plays on the HBF/BP whereas with us he played on the HFF/FP

good on clarkeson.

failure of the st kilda coaching NOT a failure of the st kilda talent spotting.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

we played him as a small forward too much he is best suited down back
i think hes playing in a place he feels more comfortable now and thats why hes doing better , always though he was an alright player who go an awful lot of unwarranted flack for not kicking that final last ditch effort for goal against the power in the prelim

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:we played him as a small forward too much he is best suited down back
i think hes playing in a place he feels more comfortable now and thats why hes doing better , always though he was an alright player who go an awful lot of unwarranted flack for not kicking that final last ditch effort for goal against the power in the prelim
yep was a good player still is.

needed to be worked on a bit more, or at least mature.

he was very young at st kilda, or at least immature.

at Hawthorn its sad to say, he's grown up a fair bit on and off the field.

SHUT UP KRIME!
Buckets
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:was the whipping boy at the forums along with blake.

did ok, but was unfit, lazy and refused to tackle.

His bumps came off once or twice a game, the rest of teh time, the better footballers rolled off him.

GT couldn't turn him around, so we let go of him, at the folks said brilliant, waste of rubbish.

there was NOTHING wrong with the talent, it was is there, there was a problem with attitude.

since then he tackles instead of bumps, he plays on the HBF/BP whereas with us he played on the HFF/FP

good on clarkeson.

And that is why we got rid of him. A bump is great in footy but you need to be able to tackle and not duck the head constantly!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
And that is why we got rid of him. A bump is great in footy but you need to be able to tackle and not duck the head constantly!
hence the failure of the coaching staff to extract the form he is showing now, then

or at least retaining him, even in the magoos, to teach him these skills.

while its argued and with accurately that some players have gone backwards or are stagnant under the current coaching regime, its equally valid to point out that guerra is an example of a player who has gone forward outside the st kilda environment.

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

Not long ago, he was a mainstay of the list of "recycled players who GT wasted picks on in an effort to top up
Can you explain how GT did not waste a selection on him?? How is Guerra running around in a Hawks jumper adding any value on the selection cost it cost the Saints to get him??

Guerra cost us a pick and two years later was let go for nothing.
It was known when we took him that he had "issues'...and we failed to develop him. Clarkson by contrast has turned him around.

The proof of the pudding is what you get out of a player once you get them.

If for example RL does not get a lot more out of Schneider than he has so far then the conclusion will be that he wasted pick 26 on him.

Year Team Games Kicks Handballs Disposals Marks Goals Behinds Tackles Hitouts Frees For Frees Ag. Brownlow

2008 Hawthorn 8 12.1 8.1 20.2 7.0 0 0.1 2.4 0 0.6 0.6
2007 Hawthorn 24 12.8 7.2 20.0 5.4 0.1 0.2 2.1 0 0.8 0.9
2006 Hawthorn 15 12.3 6.1 18.3 5.6 0.2 0.1 1.8 0 1.1 1.2
2005 St Kilda 13 5.5 2.4 7.9 2.5 1.2 0.8 3.2 0 1.1 1.2 0.18
2004 St Kilda 18 5.3 1.3 6.6 1.6 1.6 0.3 3.3 0 0.4 0.8 0.07
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 30 May 2008 11:54am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
4ever_saint
Club Player

i always assumed he was never forgiven for the 2004 preliminary final. heck, i have never forgiven him. he ran into an open goal, coulda kicked it at any time as he was running in and he got caught- holding the ball. if he woulda kicked a goal the clock woulda run out and we woulda been in the 2004 grand final. st kilda has been notoriously unforgivining in the past, so i awlays assumed that was the reason he was axed.

i do admit he'd be a handy inclusion now tho.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

4ever_saint wrote:i always assumed he was never forgiven for the 2004 preliminary final. heck, i have never forgiven him. he ran into an open goal, coulda kicked it at any time as he was running in and he got caught- holding the ball. if he woulda kicked a goal the clock woulda run out and we woulda been in the 2004 grand final. st kilda has been notoriously unforgivining in the past, so i awlays assumed that was the reason he was axed.

No...it was "off field issues"...and his relationship, or rather the lack of it, with GT as to why he was let go.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Whoa there guys!!

Guerra is playing a bit better now at the hawks than he did towards the end for us (he was great for much of 2004). But he's hardly a superstar.

Also,wasn't one of the key off-field issues his total lack of dedication to physical fitness!! Can you blame GT having issues with him about this?

If wed used guerra in the backline, it would have been in preference to the likes of Fish, Gram, gilbert, geary and co

Sure, he looks a better proposition than most of our guys right now

But so do most other players at most other clubs....

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote: No...it was "off field issues"...and his relationship, or rather the lack of it, with GT as to why he was let go.
Bugger off-field issues, bugger relationships with the coach. We had a player who had some good traits that served us well and could continue to do so.

Just because he wasn't one of the golden boys doesn't mean the coach should have sent him packing. The friggin ego on Thomas is unbelievable.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
krabb
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:
Well if we failed..add Port to that list also.

He was undsiciplined and lazy..

Clarkson's got through to him...or he's grown up...it happens.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

is a pathetic squib who is as soft as fiora but has found a loop-hole in the Hawks side... It will come back to haunt them, as it did us...

No question he is a highly skilled individual, but is heartless and plays dead-fish better than a flake on a grill...

He is the sort of player you do not want come finals time, and cheap kicks running around loose on the back flank is one thing, but putting your head over the ball mid spetember is another...

JeffDunne

Jesus people talk some revisionist crap here.

He was let go because he was a lazy SOB and because he hard zero trade value.

Clarkson picked him because of his history with him, like he did with Dew.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

krabb wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:
Well if we failed..add Port to that list also.

He was undsiciplined and lazy..

Clarkson's got through to him...or he's grown up...it happens.
concur

mark williams failed with him too.

This isnt a hatchet job, just an observation.

heck some very good coaches including matlhouse, and sheedy and alves failed with dale kickett, before cuddles!!!! got through to him.

turned into one of the best attacking half back flankers in the competition.

I concur that he has matured, he was fat (for a footballer), lazy, and undisciplined, now he is fit, focussed and playing good football.

it happens.

would ahve been nice if it happened at st kilda.

(on the other hand you look at the quality individuals on and off the field we have in riewoldt, hayes, ball, goddard, and compare to knobheads like didak. fevola and holland, and you see that st kilda 'culture' isn't as bad as some folks would have you believe)

SHUT UP KRIME!
hotdish
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
4ever_saint wrote:i always assumed he was never forgiven for the 2004 preliminary final. heck, i have never forgiven him. he ran into an open goal, coulda kicked it at any time as he was running in and he got caught- holding the ball. if he woulda kicked a goal the clock woulda run out and we woulda been in the 2004 grand final. st kilda has been notoriously unforgivining in the past, so i awlays assumed that was the reason he was axed.

No...it was "off field issues"...and his relationship, or rather the lack of it, with GT as to why he was let go.
EXACTLY! No-one doubted his talent, but there were worries about his attitude/off field demeanor

I think he even got dropped/cautioned for turning up to training under the influence of alcohol, but that may have been a rumour...

anyway, the reasons he was cut are pretty clear from this article:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 18,00.html

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Prime example of how little resources we put into player management. Still NOT serious enough... Anyone been down the club lately and seen our GYM for example... Point is our players have no chance to thrive at our club...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote: is as soft as fiora
wtf?
be real

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

a few of the players use a commercial gym not far from moorabin

this gym is open to the public, generally and a few of the forumites know here it is.

Blame the backward looking unimaginative clowns in kingston in part for this.

they have got fat and lazy over southland.

Go around the city of kingston and for an otherwise beautiful part of melbourne , rich in history and natural resources and beautiful old buildings its in decay.

the old town halls are deralict and vandalised, the old strip shops can't progress due to the regressive and unimiginative nature of the council.

folks would rather let their shops rot than fight with kingston council. Drive around the back areas and see the dead shopping strip

SHUT UP KRIME!
hotdish
Club Player

I disagree that Clarkson has 'turned' Guerra around.

When an AFL player gets delisted twice by the age of 23, he must pull his finger out. As the above cited article notes, after he got delisted he lost 5KG!

Clarkson didn't magically make Guerra do this - he just manned up and realised his career could end soon...

Good on Guerra for fulfilling his potential, but it was sad to see he couldn't do this here...

RE FACILITIES - It doesn't make a rats arse difference about how flash our gym looks like...As I recall it has improved from previous years, and I think its a cop out to blame things like this and 'player management'.

No matter how many people you employ to do player welfare etc., no matter how many lectures players get on health education etc. from AFLPA and other sources, if a player is a piss head and chooses not to look after his body (eating), put in the required amount of fitness work and has a piss poor attitude, he will never make it -

IE GUERRA and BEETHAM

bangerisking
Club Player

I think you'll find Brent was delested for other reasons than mentioned above. He himself know he stuffed up and has since attended programs to sort himself out which is working wonders for him. Thats all there was to it

BANGER 350 & STILL GOING STRONG
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bangerisking wrote:I think you'll find Brent was delested for other reasons than mentioned above. He himself know he stuffed up and has since attended programs to sort himself out which is working wonders for him. Thats all there was to it
Wasn't Ashley Martin one of them? His hair looks great now.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

makes no differance as he is out with a severe hamstring isn't he ?- so wouldn't fix our problems right now.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107