Ross Lyon should coach Saints for 10 years - Westaway

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Peanut
Club Player

St DAC wrote:
The Peanut wrote:• What is the board going to do about winning a Premiership for banger? We as supporters 'might' be able to survive another year because we are immune to the excuses - Robert Harvey, Max and the other players who are giving their all unreservedly deserve much more.
With all due respect we shouldn't be trying to win a flag for Banger. As much as I'd love to see him with a premiership medallion, and absolutely no doubt he deserves one, we should be trying to win a flag for the club and supporters, not any individual player no matter how deserving.

Of course, if Banger happens to play in a premiership side (sadly looking pretty unlikely IMO) I'll be cheering as loudly as anyone else!
Fair call ... but to my own defence :wink: It was my third point :lol:

supersaints
Club Player

Mmmm, Ten years is a long time.................

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
krabb
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:
krabb wrote:

If players arent playing for the Coach then i seriously think thats more a slur on their character than his.
With all due respect Krabb I think you are underestimating the value of coaches to be able to motivate.
Yeah i hear you fireman...i know we need a Coach that the players would run through a brick wall for...but damn it...we dont.

So whats the answer? Sack the guy....then who would be the next magician for the job?

Sack Westaway cuz he's a dill for saying 10 years...sack Burkie because he didnt come out and say something...

Lets just shut up shop and head for the Gold Coast...damn thats gotta be an easier solution.

Take the emotion out of it...and its much easier to look at...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

krabb wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
With all due respect Krabb I think you are underestimating the value of coaches to be able to motivate.
Yeah i hear you fireman...i know we need a Coach that the players would run through a brick wall for...but damn it...we dont.

So whats the answer? Sack the guy....then who would be the next magician for the job?

Sack Westaway cuz he's a dill for saying 10 years...sack Burkie because he didnt come out and say something...

Lets just shut up shop and head for the Gold Coast...damn thats gotta be an easier solution.

Take the emotion out of it...and its much easier to look at...
I hear you as well.
I am trying to be as immotive as possible, years of following our side can have that effect and I understand the reasoning behind your exaggerations
But Lyons tenure must be looked at very closely, If I was the Pres I would be concerned with his performance rather than coming out and saying that I would keep him on for 10 years...Gaff? Sarcasm? whatever , what if he means it?

JeffDunne

In fairness to Greg he did say "We'd like to see him there for 10 years . . . "

I have serious doubts on Lyon's ability to coach but even I'd like to see him there for 10 years.

I'd happily admit I was wrong if he earns 10 years in the job.

Greg didn't write him a blank cheque in terms of longevity. He simply bought him some time.

krabb
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:I hear you as well.
I am trying to be as immotive as possible, years of following our side can have that effect
On this we are definitely on the same page! :wink:

I wonder about the applicants that didnt get the Coaching job...who knows the one we desperately needed could've been in there somewhere...but this we'll never know.

Westaway's comment about 10 years wont float..he was just being a President with his L plate on...he's got to prove himself too.

GrumpyOne

JeffDunne wrote:Grumpy, I'm touched.
The only place you're touched Jeff is between the ears.

JeffDunne

Have I hurt your feelings Grumpy?

I sincerely apologies if that’s the case.

You do know I idolise you . . . I mean you are our greatest living supporter.

I’d be shattered to think I’ve somehow hurt or insulted you.

GrumpyOne

The Fireman wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:The absolute best thing for Westaway to say. We should have faith in the most diligent coaching appointment process in our history.
Tim Watson, Blight, :shock: :shock:

Did the process that appointed those two appoint Lyon?

No, I didn't think so.

GrumpyOne wrote:The man does not need to be looking over his shoulder for the knives coming whilst he builds a competitive team for the next decade and beyond.
oh yes he does, as do all coaches and players, would you get the sack in your workplace if you were a habitual under achiever?

Are we labelling Lyon after a year and a half of coaching an injury riddled side an under-achiever?

What utter codswallop.

In fact, I've never seen a cod walloped so much in my life.
:roll:

Keeping on a dud for the sake of stability doesn't make any sense but having said that I am willing to give Lyons until the end of this season as per my thread referring to just that.

We appoint political parties to run the country for much longer, cannot see the problem with a three to four year fixed term.

10 years?? Come on Grumpy, you must admit it was a silly thing to say.
No. At least someone has faith.

Not like you fairweather supporters. :roll:

GrumpyOne

JeffDunne wrote:Have I hurt your feelings Grumpy?

I sincerely apologies if that’s the case.

You do know I idolise you . . . I mean you are our greatest living supporter.

I’d be shattered to think I’ve somehow hurt or insulted you.
Its OK Jeff.

After 50 years supporting this club, I'm fairly immune to injury.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

It's fairly simple,he was just trying to take the heat off the club. With this playing group who can't handle pressure and spotlight it's probably a good thing.
The media who are forever after someone to sack are just being fed this 10 years line to take heat off Lyon.
In 12 months time if we're still going backwards ,Westaway can still pull the pin. All he has to say is "I would of liked Ross to be coach for 10 years,but it was apparent he's not the best man for the job anymore".

Lyon is as boring as batsh!t and appears to have lost the playing group. However there is to be no excuse for a playing group to stop performing for the club even if they don't like the coach. That's a disgrace!! The heat should be put on them for a change. Don't perform then p!ss off,don't care if you're Harvey ,Rewoildt or Gwilt! The club comes before any of them,and if they're sooking because they don't like the coach then show them the door!

JeffDunne

50 years hey Grumpy?

Has the club given you any recognition yet for your unparalleled support?

GrumpyOne

JeffDunne wrote:50 years hey Grumpy?

Has the club given you any recognition yet for your unparalleled support?
Yes. They won a premiership in 1966.

Everyone thinks that they did it for all our supporters at the time, but they are wrong. It was just for me.

The next one will be just for me too. Forget that Banger has been busting his guts for 40 years trying to get us another one. Its not about him.

Its all about me.

The Grumpy One has spoken. 8-)

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

krabb wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
The current players do not respond to him. We need to cross our fingers and hope that young guys coming into the club might.

What choice is there? We've been hamstrung horribly by severe mismanagement and imcompetence.
Bingo...give this poster a prize.

It goes way back to the old board and GT and anyone else down there that had an input...complete imcompetence.

Ross Lyon is now paying that price...and of course we need stability down there...we would be the laughing stock of the league if he was sacked.

He came out and said it as he saw it...good on him.

He needs to get harder and drop the one's that arent putting in...regardless of the names.

If players arent playing for the Coach then i seriously think thats more a slur on their character than his.

Players have nowhere to hide on a football field..some are just there going through the motions...and im tired of it.

We need to seriously look at trading a couple of big names at the end of this year who would be worth something and try to get low draft picks for them....next year the two new sides will be getting priority picks...and its going to be harder to pick up classy kids.

Now is not a good time to be drifting down the bottom....some hard decisions need to be made regardless of how the fans like it..

Good to see some stability come out of the place for a change...
That's not really where I waas coming from.

Lyon isn't paying the price for imcompetence - we're going to pay the price for the imcompetence of sacking Thomas and hiring Lyon.

We have to keep him due to the imcompetent decision made by our previous Board to replace a coach when they did.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Not like you fairweather supporters. :roll: [/color]
You don't know me but you still made that comment.
I have been a member for 30 years and you backed Westaways comment on 10 years.
Sorry Grumpy but I think you are a bit of a dill. :oops:

St.Kenny
Club Player

Moorabbin Saints I hope !!! :wink: :wink:

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Think about it... you run a business and employ a new manager with no experience in this position(the old manager ran his division very successfully but you didn't agree with his management style...and you personally didn't like him). The same staff are there - many well respected in the business community. Suddenly the business goes down, performance drops, you lose respect and position.
Do you think you should give the new manager enough years in charge to see many employees leave in the hope their replacements will somehow gel under the new manager. You look at the new coach's chosen recruits - all experienced but with little real ability - they didn't come to you -their old employers happily let them go - and none of them are performing. get real!
I can't believe people think the problem will go away if we get rid of a once motivated successful staff.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I really wish he'd said nothing.
Agreed.

Not a wise move, GW.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

GrumpyOne

The Fireman wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Being a member doesn't necessarily mean you're a supporter Firey, but it seems a strange way to waste your money if you're not.

As you say, I don't know you. I can only form an opinion from what you post.

And IMHO, any talk about sacking Lyon at this point of time is the product of a fairweather supporter.

JeffDunne

You're a fair weather supporter if you criticise the coach?

Sorry LumpyOne, that is more simplistic and reactionary than the behaviour you are lamenting.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Being a member doesn't necessarily mean you're a supporter Firey, but it seems a strange way to waste your money if you're not.

As you say, I don't know you. I can only form an opinion from what you post.

And IMHO, any talk about sacking Lyon at this point of time is the product of a fairweather supporter.
Ok I'll elaborate, hardly missed a game, fairweather ? How can me wanting to see a dud coach sacked make me a fairweather supporter??? I repeat..dill.
PS I think I now know you well enough to call you one.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

[quote="The Fireman"]How can me wanting to see a dud coach sacked make me a fairweather supporter??? [quote]

I think that'll about do it...easy to support a winning team when everything is rosy. Go to as many games as you like.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
The Fireman wrote:How can me wanting to see a dud coach sacked make me a fairweather supporter???

I think that'll about do it...easy to support a winning team when everything is rosy. Go to as many games as you like.
:?
I would have imagined a fairweather supporter to be one that drops off after losses, I clearly stated that not to be the case, so you categorize a fairweather supporter as someone who stands up to protest for change ,for the betterment of the clubs fortunes ?
You really are a strange one degruch.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

How can sacking the coach be for the betterment of the club? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see that anyone can honestly identify the problem at this stage as being the coach and the coach alone...so what's the benefit of sacking him. That's the sort of crap I'd support from Crows supporters, who only know what's happening when they're winning...the second they're not "sack the coach" comes out. I'd hoped Saints supporters were stronger in conviction and less 'fairweather' than that...from that perspective, this forum scares the crap out of me! Who's gonna truely support this club when the 18 team comp sh@t really hits the fan???

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:How can sacking the coach be for the betterment of the club? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see that anyone can honestly identify the problem at this stage as being the coach and the coach alone...so what's the benefit of sacking him. That's the sort of crap I'd support from Crows supporters, who only know what's happening when they're winning...the second they're not "sack the coach" comes out. I'd hoped Saints supporters were stronger in conviction and less 'fairweather' than that...from that perspective, this forum scares the crap out of me! Who's gonna truely support this club when the 18 team comp sh@t really hits the fan???
How can keeping a s*** coach help?
I'll bookmark this and just hope you don't go away (fairweather) and we will see exactly how much of his incompetence you hand handle.
The thing that scares the crap out of me is supporters who will sit back and watch the damage done quietly.
As I said in another thread, if we don't smash the Dees this weekend he can walk.
and so can you if you like.
Sorry, but calling me fairweather sort of pisses me off.