A win against Melb proves little....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

A win against Melb proves little....

Without being overly harsh but IF we happen to beat Melbourne (I expect to and well BTW) it IMHO gives us little in terms of any indication that EFFORT and INTENSITY and HARDNESS are back for this side.

That test comes a week later against Dogs - win that and we start to get a small bit nof respect back that we have recentlty lost.

Ive said before Im dissapointed we dont have the Pies etc this week........or another contender from which a better guage could b determined.

I realise winning form is good form and small steps to getting confidence etc but I hope the club doesnt take the pressure off IF we get over Melb.

IF we lose....nowhere to run and its play kids policy time for me.

“Yeah….nah””
gooner
Club Player

You can only play who you play. Its still 4 points. And other cliches.

Actually I thought something similar last week but lets just see it as a way of playing ourselves into form. The way Melbourne are playing atm we cannot get away with less than full commitment.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

But they could be the team that may not hurt us early to build some momentum and confidence back as the game goes on.

Saints43
Club Player

Re: A win against Melb proves little....

Teflon wrote:IF we lose....nowhere to run and its play kids policy time for me.
I thought we couldn't make any judgements until the end of the season?

FFS.

Smiley Winky

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:

FFS.

Smiley Winky
Geezus mate...I liked you better when you knew you were simple...

Who is making judgments?

Its a change in strategy - forced albeit - but needed to go forward at some point...where have I mentioned "sack the coach" like your bleatings????

“Yeah….nah””
Saints43
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

FFS.

Smiley Winky

Who is making judgments?

Its a change in strategy - forced albeit - but needed to go forward at some point...where have I mentioned "sack the coach" like your bleatings????
Where have I asked "sack the coach" ?

We can't sack him because we cannot line up a better replacement at this time. No reflection on him.

Is the following a judgement?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Don't worry about it meaning nothing. I suspect we are back already,and a trouncing of Melbourne this week will only confirm that the juggernaut has re erupted!
Did you see that brainstorming last quarter at the Gabba!!!? 8 goals we kicked in that heat,on the toughest trip in the land.

We are back!!!!!

It could be said that was the best quarter a side has played this year.....it was a hollow victory for the Lions in the end,only saved by the bell. A toss of the coin finish really. Really another 5-10 minutes we had them in one of the great fightbacks in history.

Here come Stkilda!

S.A Saint
Club Player

Boy do i like your optimism. The only reason we scored that many goals in the last quarter was due to lions already focusing on next weeks game and not wanting to get an injuries. If they actually tried we would have been flogged 100+.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

FFS.

Smiley Winky

Who is making judgments?

Where have I asked "sack the coach" ?

We can't sack him because we cannot line up a better replacement at this time. No reflection on him.

Is the following a judgement?
Where have I passed judgement on Lyon as a coach by suggesting we develop if things go pear shape????

Do tell..

“Yeah….nah””
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Absolute bare minumum pass is a FOUR quarter effort with a 10 goal win.

The results from last week might actually work in our favour. You'd think our guys would be burning, and the Dees threw everything at Hawthorn with the emotion of Neitz's farewell etc. May well be a bit flat this week.

Big chance to make it sound like a home game too...Dees fans dont turn up in numbers to TD at any time let alone when they are last.....too many of them are MCC members who arent every fond of paying to get into games.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Absolute bare minumum pass is a FOUR quarter effort with a 10 goal win.

The results from last week might actually work in our favour. You'd think our guys would be burning, and the Dees threw everything at Hawthorn with the emotion of Neitz's farewell etc. May well be a bit flat this week.

Big chance to make it sound like a home game too...Dees fans dont turn up in numbers to TD at any time let alone when they are last.....too many of them are MCC members who arent every fond of paying to get into games.
Bare minimum four quarter effort and a win will do.

Saying a 10 goal win as a minimum is disrepecting and ridicule of your opposition.

saint4life
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
saint66au wrote:Absolute bare minumum pass is a FOUR quarter effort with a 10 goal win.

Bare minimum four quarter effort and a win will do.

Saying a 10 goal win as a minimum is disrepecting and ridicule of your opposition.
Ahh no...I'm not RL saying that in the Sunday morning papers..THAT would be disrespecting and ridiculing the opposition.

I'm just saying that we'd need that margin to start regaining some respect from SOME supporters. You reckon everyone will be happy if we beat the bottom side by a goal?

Fact is..they are the bottom side...ergo you have played as much crap footy as anyone else in the comp. Thats why you are bottom. So..if we, a side still with Top 8 aspirations, play committed footy for four quarters, we should come home with a 10 goal win.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

it gets us back to an even keel which is something in the previous few years we have struggled to do

if we get to 5 and 5 we could be the worst team to do so ever...

not so bad...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bozza1980
Club Player

It may prove little but it sure beats losing.

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

A win against Melbourne means 4 points - hopefully a massive increase in percentage and while we are at it - the knowledge that we can win and play direct football.

It also means that every supporter can go home hoarse after cheering their boys off the ground.

SAINTERS for LIFE

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i know what i want to see.
i want to see desperation at the ball, no fear, and the young kids getting a go and just throwing themselves at the cherry, busting their asses chasing and tackling...this might inspire some of the others who 'expect' to get picked every week (and do) to follow suit.

i want to see armo get a game (constantly) and do those hammill like things we all have seen glimpses of.
i want to see these 'reg' players like gram and schneider frigging do something and not look like a frigging lost cause out there.

and i want to see the greats like hayes, harves, bally, koz, roo do what they do every week...and thats frigging try their damned hardest and smash the dees by 50+ frigging points.
i want to see this team believe in itself and create some positive attitude and show the dees how crap they really are

go u frigging saints boyz 8-) 8-)

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

Matrix - Only 50+

I want to see all of that - but I also want to hear the roof of the dome echo with OUR support

I want to see RED WHITE and BLACK all through the Dome

I want the boys to know that WE are the SUPPORTERS

and thus I want them to know who they are letting down if they dont give us 100%

We have the right to demand 100% - but in return we must give it

We ARE ALL SAINTERS

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ill be in my lounge in red white and black with the telly cranked so the neighbors can hear 8-)
cant get to many games (im interstate)
hopefully coming over with some crows fans later in the season for the adelaide game

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Boy wrote:
I also want to hear the roof of the dome echo with OUR support
There will not be a roof this Sunday

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

open house huh.

gawd....
dont see the point in it

yipper
SS Life Member

From where I sit - we hit rock bottom last week.. a very, disappointing and ordinary effort indeed from the players and the coaching team.

Noone can start climbing until you've hit the bottom of your barrel - we did this last week. I would expect that certain players have been put on notice and will be anxious to show the coach that they are the real deal. The timing of president coming out and making a bold statement of strong support the coach will mean the players need to now make the call - are they in or are they off the bus?? It starts this week against a team who is struggling to make headway themselves. It will need to be a relentless, consistent and strong performance. If this happens they may get their mojo back and start heading north again. This is more of a crunch game than any other game they have played in the past 2 years. Both the players and the coach need to work together and get a strong result on the board and it has to be this week. Or 2008 may be lost.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Sainter_Boy
Club Player

All the better St Fid - I want the rest of Melbourne to know we are playing the kind of football that wins Grand Finals - I want them to hear St. Kildas SUPPORTERS yelling for their MIGHTY WARRIORS as they go into Battle

It is quite simple - If you aren't for US you are against US!

SAINTERS for LIFE

NoMore
Club Player

I agree that a win against melb means bugger all

Not only that but this season is a write off even if we do beat them

We haven't beaten a top 8 side yet and we play 6 of them in the run home

Not to mention 5 interstate games

As far as this season is concerned we r up a certain creek without a paddle

d roit
Club Player

Yep. I would agree as well NoMore.
A win on Sunday will give us nothing, except maybe some complacency that we can still win.
I just hope for the sake of the club that we dont play poorly yet still smash them, ala Carlton rd 2...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

if a win gives us nothing then we might as well not win 12 (i mean we still get the same result be it 1 or 12, nothing) and then we can go for draft picks huh?
what a brilliant idea