Tackling & 2nd Quarters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Tackling & 2nd Quarters

Having a look over our stats for 2008 a couple of things stand out.

Tackling & 2nd Quarters.

I'd obverserved over the past few games our poor tackling technique, players tackle the hips but fail to pin the arms, it seems as though the tackler is only focussed on grabbing the player rather than dispossessing them. Hence this stat comes as no suprise.....

Total Tackles in 2008 : 460 (11th overall)

Free Kicks Received for 'Holding the Ball' : 28 (15th overall)

Therefore only 6.09% of our tackles result in a holding the ball free kick.

As far as second quarters go, it's quite an obvious problem that we fade out after quarter time.

We have won 6/9 first quarters and we average 28% of our total score in the opening term. We average 34 pts per first quarter and outscore our opposition by 8%.

But in the second term it's quite a contrast.

We've won 2/9 with a dismal percentage of 74%. Those two wins coming against Carlton and Essendon.

We've been outscored by over 11 goals, and we average 6% less than our opponent.

Our opposition average 37pts every second quarter having scored 258 for the year compared to our 190.

We are conceding over 6 goals every week in the second quarter, yet if you take out the Essendon and Carlton games, we've not scored over 20pts in a second term.

Personally I think these are two major issues that the coaching staff must address. (Among others of course)

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Very good point - I was thinking myself that in the last few weeks (by memory) we had barely scored any goals in the second quarter.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.