Ok, Lyon's 'tough' decisions at year end...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Ok, Lyon's 'tough' decisions at year end...

Can we trust Lyon to be making 'tough' decisions at year's end?

I'm assuming the 'tough' decisions we hear about will involve trading players.

So far - in 2 trade periods, we've seen squat in terms of 'tough' decisions. Not one trade. Not even a strong rumour of a trade except for Leigh Fisher.

Instead, the level of toughness we've seen in terms of list management have been to recruit discards from other clubs.

No courage to hold onto a pick 43 and not clog up the list with 2 rejects.

So, what if Dal was traded? Then returned to the AA form that we know he capable of at his new club?

What if Kosi was traded then became the player he showed us he can be in 05 and in patches throughout his career?

If Lyon is already doing a backflip on his game plan, what type of player does he now require on the list? Does he even know?

What if a gun gets traded then the game plan changes again and we find out we need that type of player back?

Currently, sending Lyon off to trade week with the talent we have on our list, seems a bit trusting a pig with watermelons.

He also seems very defensive about his own role already. Unless this demeanour changes by year's end - we'd want to be very careful we don't go to market with a cow and come back with a bag of magic beans.

Thoughts?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Hypothetical post based on suggestions/crap on a fan forum!!!

our list has some talent but not full of it as you infer.........

"Currently, sending Lyon off to trade week with the talent we have on our list, seems a bit trusting a pig with watermelons. "

saint4life
spert
Saintsational Legend

There's always the chance of players of either showing star form when they change clubs or just fading away altogether and that's always been the case and should not be a concern in building a team. The whole emphasis must be on building a team to win a flag and then keep building for the future. New young players must be developed at all costs, but also the right kind of player needs to be recruited to fit the plan and sometimes a discard from another club can do that job -not much luck this year though with our discarded lot.
Kosi should be retained, though NDS and Montagna, Milne and a couple of others are in the soft category as far as I'm concerned and I'm sure RL would be wanting tougher midfielders and crumbers on the list. Armitage is more the type I would be developing..harder at the contest and kicks goals.
I thought Birss did a reasonable job against the Lions compared to some of our other mids -good skills, and I would keep him as I would Jones regardeless of skill issues, as you can't teach toughness, and he is hard at the contest.
Some of my thoughts anyway...over to you.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:There's always the chance of players of either showing star form when they change clubs or just fading away altogether and that's always been the case and should not be a concern in building a team. The whole emphasis must be on building a team to win a flag and then keep building for the future. New young players must be developed at all costs, but also the right kind of player needs to be recruited to fit the plan and sometimes a discard from another club can do that job -not much luck this year though with our discarded lot.
Kosi should be retained, though NDS and Montagna, Milne and a couple of others are in the soft category as far as I'm concerned and I'm sure RL would be wanting tougher midfielders and crumbers on the list. Armitage is more the type I would be developing..harder at the contest and kicks goals.
I thought Birss did a reasonable job against the Lions compared to some of our other mids -good skills, and I would keep him as I would Jones regardeless of skill issues, as you can't teach toughness, and he is hard at the contest.
Some of my thoughts anyway...over to you.

That's Ok - but do you trust Lyon - who has already changed his game plan once apparently and recruited discards who can't get a kick, to take our list into trade week?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Trading will not help our situation.

We need to hold firm and recruit new talent from the national draft and rookie draft.

Topping up has never worked for anyone, and it's not going to for anyone in the future.

We need to get at least two genuinely talented kids this year and next, or we'll stagnate even further. Perhaps having a scheissen year this year will benefit us more than scrambling for a potentially meaningless position at the fringe of the top 8 (like Richmond during the 1990s). I'm not sying we should chuck it in for the year, but it would not break my heart if we finished 13th - Look what it did for Geelong - Joel Selwood!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Two things emerging about Lyon purely from a football angle IMHO: Can't communicate his message, and his tactical game plan is a dud.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Two things emerging about Lyon purely from a football angle IMHO: Can't communicate his message, and his tactical game plan is a dud.
i concur 8-)

markp
Saintsational Legend

That's a decision for the board aint it?...

We were in top up mode, and I guess we may change to rebuild mode if we don't find something by seasons end... again, the board makes that call at the appropriate time, and with all the relevant information before it.....

The question is do you trust the board?... The answer is we don't have much choice.

JeffDunne

cwrcyn wrote:Topping up has never worked for anyone, and it's not going to for anyone in the future.
I'm not sure that's entirely true.

With recent changes to the draft rules and the inevitable introduction of FA I'm not sure if I'd agree with your prediction either.

IMO it's not a case of one or the other. If you want to be successful you need to add talent yearly to your list. I don't think it matters where they're sourced from.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ok, Lyon's 'tough' decisions at year end...

rodgerfox wrote:Currently, sending Lyon off to trade week with the talent we have on our list, seems a bit trusting a pig with watermelons.

Thoughts?

lol

supersaints
Club Player

It saddens me to say this but I am starting to believe that the toughest decision he can make is to admit that he can't coach, apaologise to everyone and leave..... It took Tim Watson five years to admit he couldn't coach a pig to be dirty.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

He was arrogant early.

Then defensive.

And recently almost submissive.

The signs aren't good. He does appear to have lost his way.

MadSaintFan
Club Player

as aussie jones said recently I think ross is beginning to realise that the ultra accountable game plan wont work with the current playing list.

from a spectator point of view our skills on the rebound arent good enough and theres not enough depth in the midfield to carry out 100% intensity for long periods of time.

as is commonly known the battle is won and lost in the middle and after our top 3 or 4 we drop away really quickly.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

MadSaintFan wrote: as is commonly known the battle is won and lost in the middle and after our top 3 or 4 we drop away really quickly.
That particular problem is not unique to this year though....

I'm worried about the -

The Midfield......not enough quality

The Defence.....not enough quality

The Forward line...not enough quality

The Ruck..........not enough quality

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D