kosi at full forward

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Mate one game is nothing i bet you next week he wont do anything.
i'll bet you he does ... if he is selected at ff and allowed to play the full game there.

what about a 4-man forward line ... riewoldt and dal santo across half forward; kosi and milne deep.

tell them they're not to leave the forward line and go traipsing all over the mcg chasing their opponents.

give them some space and chuck the rest on the ball with instructions to pump it in quickly and directly.

tbh i couldn't see a set-up like this failing given a half decent supply of forward 50s,

give it a go. it's time to take some risks.
i like the sound of a 4 man forward line, on the proviso that if the opposition put 6 men in our back 50, we don't allow two men to run free.

i'd like to see kosi and milne play deep, and one of schneider, x. clarke or dal santo playing HFF.

we kosi needs space to work in, and this system would work well imo.

can't hurt to try it as we have gone stale with the way we are currently playing

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:i like the sound of a 4 man forward line, on the proviso that if the opposition put 6 men in our back 50, we don't allow two men to run free
well the idea of the exercise would be to create some space for kosi and riewoldt.

so if we were pro-active rather than re-active for a change we'd allow them the extra men and back our guys to get it anyway.

JeffDunne

If we played a 4 man forward line, most teams would simply allow extra numbers back and double team both key forwards. They know we'll still use them as our primary targets regardless.

We should be playing 6 forwards on 6 defenders, have more lead-up targets and stop this mindset of us trying to defend them. Why we start with a loose man down back has me absolutely stuffed.

We even sometimes setup with 7 against 6 in our backline and 5 against 6 up forward.

IMO we gift teams the ability to double-team Roo.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:If we played a 4 man forward line, most teams would simply allow extra numbers back and double team both key forwards. They know we'll still use them as our primary targets regardless.

We should be playing 6 forwards on 6 defenders, have more lead-up targets and stop this mindset of us trying to defend them. Why we start with a loose man down back has me absolutely stuffed.

We even sometimes setup with 7 against 6 in our backline and 5 against 6 up forward.

IMO we gift teams the ability to double-team Roo.
if you're going to play six then at least two of them should be leading up to the wing and beyond because forwards like kosi and roo must have space to work in.

the more space we can give them the more effective they will be.

but of course, it all depends on us being able to get the pill elsewhere ... something we haven't quite mastered going on sunday's performance.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 26 May 2008 7:05pm, edited 2 times in total.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:
We have absolutely zero understanding between our midfielders and our forwards in terms of timing a lead.

It's simply another area where we are being poorly coached.
Spot on. I don't care how much the game has changed. The midfielder (used to be the centerman) spearing pass after pass down the throat of a leading full forward is still a winning strategy.

Direct and down the corridor to the leading forward for mine. Yes, I know, you need players who can kick accurately to a team mate but if they were coached to do it, permitted to do it, instead of taking the long road home, then practice makes perfect and they'd get it right.

Carna Saints!!!
JeffDunne

No doubt Bigcarl.

I thought that's why we signed Charlie.

I would much prefer to have leading forwards creating space than leaving the opposition loose men down back.

Prior to Lyon's arrival we often broke down when teams decided to play extra players down back. Not always, but we were relying on better supply from loose players off half back and the work rate of our forwards especially Roo. If either weren't on we were in trouble.

With the form of some players and Roo being restricted we now gift them that situation.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Prior to Lyon's arrival we often broke down when teams decided to play extra players down back. Not always, but we were relying on better supply from loose players off half back and the work rate of our forwards especially Roo. If either weren't on we were in trouble.
but not as much trouble as we're in now.

look you're probably right. start with six at every bounce but instruct at least two of them to get the hell out of there, taking their opponents with them as soon as it is in play.

give kosi and roo some space and bank on them and milne and dal to kick us a winning score.

surely there is a way we can get these four excellent players one out and with some space to work in.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:Prior to Lyon's arrival we often broke down when teams decided to play extra players down back. Not always, but we were relying on better supply from loose players off half back and the work rate of our forwards especially Roo. If either weren't on we were in trouble.

look you're probably right. start with six at every bounce but instruct at least two of them to get the hell out of there, taking their opponents with them as soon as it is in play.

give kosi and roo some space and bank on them and milne and dal to kick us a winning score.

surely there is a way we can get these four excellent players one out and with some space to work in.
What happens when the opposition players dont follow their player which will happen. It will be same as always outnumbered because we refuse to have 6 in the forward line to put pressure on players when we dont get possession.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

What happens when the opposition players dont follow their player which will happen. It will be same as always outnumbered because we refuse to have 6 in the forward line to put pressure on players when we dont get possession.
we take advantage of it by giving it to the guy who is unmanned. preferably it is one who is a thumping kick like bj who can score from outside 50.

the most important thing though is to move it quickly and not give them the chance to get numbers back.

but how would i know plugger. i'm only a frustrated supporter depressed by how this season is turning out,

saintsrokk
Club Player

how bout swappin Kosi with Roo?
________
Lamborghini lm002
Last edited by saintsrokk on Sun 20 Feb 2011 8:23am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsrokk wrote:how bout swappin Kosi with Roo?
kosi kicked four yesterday from limited opportunities.

his performance at full foward was one glimpse of light in an otherwise black day for the saints.

a full forward who kicks 4 in a team that was smashed virtually everywhere has done his job, imo.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

we take advantage of it by giving it to the guy who is unmanned. preferably it is one who is a thumping kick like bj who can score from outside 50.

the most important thing though is to move it quickly and not give them the chance to get numbers back.

but how would i know plugger. i'm only a frustrated supporter depressed by how this season is turning out,
Goddard was loose yesterday in the first half and got a bit of the ball but that didnt help because Drummond was on his own in our foward line because we were doing what we have done all year palying less than 6 in the forward line and playing 7 in the backline.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Goddard was loose yesterday in the first half and got a bit of the ball but that didnt help because Drummond was on his own in our foward line because we were doing what we have done all year palying less than 6 in the forward line and playing 7 in the backline.
yesterday isn't a good example.

we could have had six tony locketts in our forward line and it mightn't have won us the game.

having a good, dangerous forward set-up will only get you over the line if eveything else is fairly equal and you aren't comprehensivley smashed in most positions.

i haven't had a look at the stats, but i'm guessing they went inside 50 considerably more times than us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Goddard was loose yesterday in the first half and got a bit of the ball but that didnt help because Drummond was on his own in our foward line because we were doing what we have done all year palying less than 6 in the forward line and playing 7 in the backline.
yesterday isn't a good example.

we could have had six tony locketts in our forward line and it mightn't have won us the game.

having a good, dangerous forward set-up will only get you over the line if eveything else is fairly equal and you aren't comprehensivley smashed in most positions.

i haven't had a look at the stats, but i'm guessing they went inside 50 considerably more times than us.
Only 8 more but it came out to quickly because we didnt have the numbers there.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Only 8 more but it came out to quickly because we didnt have the numbers there.
they went in eight times more than us and won by eight goals. their forwards and midfielders are chock full of confidence.

they are good side. i wouldn't rule them out of premiership calculations

we can talk all we want about structure and gameplan but that doesn't take into account things like confidence, self-belief, passion, and leadership on and off the field.

we appear lacking in a few of those areas.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: they are good side. i wouldn't rule them out of premiership calculations

They are very capable of causing some major headaches come the business end if they have a full squad. There core group of players are just so so good.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:It is seriously time some of the posters on here gave themselves a solid slap in the face, so they can wake up and smell the roses when it comes to Kosi...

Thread after thread i'm reading suggestions he should be traded, that he's underperforming, overrated, has vision issues and isnt of great value..

What a bunch of utter crap... Kosi is a hugely important part of the success of our side, and is one of the few who bleeds for our club.. He is one of the last players you blame, let alone look to trade, when things go downhill, as it is now...

He is a key position player who has lacked support and continuity his whole career... Both on the park and positional... Whilst he hasnt become the 'superstar' he was touted as years ago, his output and influence on games is still enourmous, not to mention his assertivness and leadership on the field... He has the demenour of a champion... Players with these attributes are rare...

Kosi was outstanding against the lions... OUTSTANDING.. watch the game and it is obvious how much of an impact this guy can have on games, and with a bit of support and continuity he will improve on his consistancy rapidly..

At no stage in the pat 3/4 years has he played more than 6 or so weeks in the same position.. Now at FF, he should be allowed a full season to learn the nuances and get comfortable in this forgein and difficult position.. Instead posters are saying he isnt a natural forward, he is slow, he cant lead or kick well... Utter crap... It took G a year or so to get comfrtable, and with a similar timeframe and support, Kosi will be just as effective...

I had to pick myself up of the floor when i read in another thread that Kos would be playing 2nds if he were at the Hawks.. I feel it'd be the exact opposite.. If he were surrounded by players that bled for the ball like the hawks do, he'd be in AA contention, no matter what posi he played...

Kosi is an example of how we want the rest of the players to play like.. His attitude is the benchmark that should be set...

I would be devasted if we were to loose Kos.. As once again we would trade a player about to enter his prime to prosper at another club... And he will prosper.. See Hall, Lockett etc.. Key forwards in recent years are players we should know are invaluable...

So lay off Kosi, and stop expecting the world from him.. He is pulling his weight and giving his all... A hell of a lot more than those playing around him, and supporting our club are...