Time to close ranks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iremember66
Club Player

Time to close ranks

Pull the wagons into a circle
Put up the shutters
Have a good long hard look at ourselves.
And I mean ALL of us.

We need to show some solidarity here amongst ourselves.
Not so long ago things weren't looking so bad -
a couple of tough, close, fought out games -
and we were still a threat.

Well we can STILL be a threat.
It needs our players to make a pact with each other to GIVE ALL THEY HAVE for each other.

....AND IT NEEDS THE SUPPORTERS TO DEMONSTRATE SOME SUPPORT - AND A LITTLE FAITH.

Consider this:

We always demand 100% from the players, 100% of the time.
Can we give that sort of commitment to our players??

100% support, 100% of the time??

Are we capable of, for example, stopping the bitching that goes on in this forum - even for say 100 minutes??? (yes, I use 100 minutes intentionally - plus maybe a bit of time -on).
Could we show that level of commitment - the same commitment we demand of our players 100% of the time??

Probably not is my guess - could we then pause and consider what we ask of our players??

Let's face it - the player that gets out there in a Saints jumper has done more than I (or the greatest percentage of members of this forum) have ever been able to do in my/their wildest dream.

And yet I (we) expect so much of that individual who has ALREADY achieved.

For that individual to then continue achieving in that tough environment needs something a little bit special (sorry Bruce).

We expect our best to be able to turn a game around with individual efforts, yet
we complain when we don't play the team game.

We complain when a player doesn't seem to be playing "to their natural abilities", and yet we are not privy to whether they are playing directly to team instructions.

I say it is time to start SUPPORTING our club in the truest sense.

Let's support our players and coach - by talking up the good things that our team does - let's instil some confidence in our beloved team by revelling in what they do well - and surely they will do well a greater percent of the time...

Can you imagine what it must be like for a player - any player - to trawl through this forum at times??

We need to nurture the talents of our lesser lights - until they glow as intensely as our brightest stars...
Let's give some support to those we may feel are below what they could be - what they should be - and collectively rejoice as we help lift them to realise their capabilities...

The worst player in our team was selected because of what they could well be - WITH SUPPORT AND THE PROPER ENCOURAGEMENT/COACHING - and we AS A GROUP, would be neglectful and remiss NOT to extract the most we possibly can from each and every individual.

I would submit that slagging off ANY of our players is counterproductive to our greater cause.

Let's ALL get behind our team, coaches, and each other - as supporters (and forumites) - and create an unstoppable groundswell to carry our great team forward.

And let's do it now...

JeffDunne

Support isn't blind faith.

I agree the club need to close ranks but equally I think supporters need to put them under the pump.

If they can't perform under pressure then what good are they?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I love the sentiment, but we are not, and will not be, a threat in the foreseeable future.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I'm glad you remember 1966, cos I've only been around for the past 38yrs :P Another thing I know is this, the way the guys are playing at present isn't an appropriate send off to one of our clubs all-time greatest ever players. I bet he's sick of players looking him in the eye, making all of these promises, and not delivering on them! With our play at present, Melbourne is going to carve us a new one this week! It's just not good enough! We have the ability, but when the hell are we going to turn it on!?? I'm so sick of hearing how we've "missed the boat" & "the window is shut for St Kilda" - It seriously drives me to tears! :x

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Badlands
Club Player

i've got to disagree with your "we have the ability" comment. We have the ability to do much better to be sure. But we dont have a list anywhere near capable of mounting a serious challenge for the premiership (in my opinion). I reckon some of the guys who get crucified on this forum are trying their darnedest, they just aren't up to AFL standard.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.