A short term fix that could work long term.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ctqs
Club Player

A short term fix that could work long term.

As filthy as I am about our current predicament, I've always been a fan of the saying "Don't curse the darkness. Light a candle." In other words, stop whinging about our problems (though I've been guilty of that lately, don't you worry) and start doing something to fix them.
So here goes...
Kicking for goal by Roo and Kosi has never been a strong point, but we could utilise their obvious assets, while reducing the impact of their shortcomings, if we moved them around. So I was thinking:
Kosi to CHB, which we are crying out for right now. He won the Rising Star there. Runs in straight lines. Won't get outmarked. His mis-kicks won't be quite as costly.
Roo to the wing for centre bounces and then to be the tallest and most athletic ruck-rover the game has seen for some time, so he can use his motor to run all over the ground and create a match-up hell for oppositions. Taller players won't have the tank to run with him. Smaller players won't beat him in the air.
Goddard to be moved to full forward. He's probably the best kick at the club. He's very smart and knows where the ball's going to be before it gets there. He has decent strength for the contested grab, but is quick on the lead. He's not scared to kick the match-winner, either.
We have a raft of running defenders to play loose man, S Fisher, Gram, X Clarke, people are saying things about the young bloke Miles, even.
Now if we can only find a CHF to make it work... :?

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

play allen at chf........why not..?/??....good post.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ctqs
Club Player

stinger wrote:play allen at chf........why not..?/??....good post.....
Mate, that's high praise. Cheers.

yipper
SS Life Member

Give Allen a crack at CHF. He aint playing that flash at the moment in the magoos - but the challenge may lift him. He did ok in the NAB cup. Gwilt or Gilbert when he gets back could also work. Alternatively play BJ at CHF and have a look at Ferguson in the FF spot. Rooey can play the same role Richo is playing - licence to go anywhere he needs to.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I've been calling for a while now for Roo, when fully fit, to be played through the middle in maybe a 5-7 minute burst each quarter, particularly if it is picked up in the coaches box that momentum is shifting against us, such as - most of our second quarters this year, but especially vs. Geelong and Bulldogs.

He has the tank to outrun just about any opponent, and could be a leader from the middle of the ground, playing mainly between FB and CHF for that period. A player his size couldn't run with him and most taggers would be 6-8 inches too short to keep him out of the game.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Well, bugger me, a constructive post! I like it (very similar to my earlier one...hehe). Roo on the wing, yes, Allen in the team, yes, BJ too valuable up back, leave him, Kosi ain't got the bus fare to play down back, leave him at FF.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Good Post,

BJ at FF.. Not bad (at least he won't miss).

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Allen isnt play well enough at the moment. You need to play young guys when in form. Maybe I missed what happened on Sunday but Kosi was one of the best playing forward and Roo is the best forward at the club. We should play to our strengths not try create things like making Goddard who a good backman into a FF. If you think Kosi needs to run in traight lines well BJ needs to more.

Yes I know people will say its not working so lets try something well you dont need to try 4 position changes in a week. One will do in the forward line and that is to add Ferg to the forward line this week and see what he can give us. I would be more worried about our second tier midfielders and backline at the moment.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Allen isnt play well enough at the moment. You need to play young guys when in form. Maybe I missed what happened on Sunday but Kosi was one of the best playing forward and Roo is the best forward at the club. We should play to our strengths not try create things like making Goddard who a good backman into a FF. If you think Kosi needs to run in traight lines well BJ needs to more.

Yes I know people will say its not working so lets try something well you dont need to try 4 position changes in a week. One will do in the forward line and that is to add Ferg to the forward line this week and see what he can give us. I would be more worried about our second tier midfielders and backline at the moment.
How you think BJ's a good backman has got me beat :?

ctqs
Club Player

SaintWodonga wrote:Good Post,

Thanks mate. My point exactly.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:

Who replaces him down back?

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I think the post was suggesting Kosi... (I would look at Roo down there)

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
ctqs
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Allen isnt play well enough at the moment. You need to play young guys when in form. Maybe I missed what happened on Sunday but Kosi was one of the best playing forward and Roo is the best forward at the club. We should play to our strengths not try create things like making Goddard who a good backman into a FF. If you think Kosi needs to run in traight lines well BJ needs to more.

That's what I'm saying. Max needs all the help he can get right now. Kosi won a Rising Star at CHB. I don't want him moved there so he CAN run in straight lines. I want him there because he DOES.

ctqs
Club Player

degruch wrote:
ctqs wrote:

Who replaces him down back?
As the loose man? I like S Fisher or X Clarke because they tread the game OK, but Gram is also an option, and as I said earlier, people around the place are talking about Luke Miles as having something to offer in that role.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Yes, that's an interesting point...but why would you replace an FF who's just kicked 4 goals against Brissy, with someone who's essentially untried? Sure, BJ's popped up and kicked the occasional goal, and he's a great kick, but I wonder if he didn't just catch opposition players out by simply being well placed at the time.

Kosi at CHB, he's too big and immobile...won't the opposition run past, or kick past him? Remember, he was a stick when he got the Rising Star, hence a lot more flexible than he is now, and drilled in the role. He hasn't been there for years, hence, we could probably say he'd have fallen off the game.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Allen isnt play well enough at the moment.

Maybe not, but quite often a player can rise to the occasion when playing in better company. I reckon he's worth a go, and he should be told he's got at least five or six weeks, if not the rest of the season, ditto for Armo, no point dropping him for Fiora.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Yes, that's an interesting point...but why would you replace an FF who's just kicked 4 goals against Brissy, with someone who's essentially untried?
precisely

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
degruch wrote:Yes, that's an interesting point...but why would you replace an FF who's just kicked 4 goals against Brissy, with someone who's essentially untried?
precisely
One of the few positives from the Lions match is that Kosi may have found some form as key forward.

So don't move him.

Leave him there.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
wolfpup
Club Player

Re: A short term fix that could work long term.

ctqs wrote:Goddard to be moved to full forward.
I was saying this a few weeks ago. Great idea, plonk him there and see how he goes.

I loved roo when he used to have a semi roaming role a few years ago (similar to what richo does now for the tiges).

Kosi as CHB is a good idea, how about fergi as CHF?

Open up the forward line, the dogs and the pies against geelong only had 1 forward leading up the ground with everyone else leading to the goals from the half forward line. seems to freak out the opossition defence.