Mid-season player sackings!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Mid-season player sackings!

Time to wield the boot in the harshest possible fashion IMO.

There are a few players (squibs) on our list that won't be on the list next season due to softness and lack of commitment.

I won't name any names, but there are a few seasoned players that could be ditched right now and won't be missed for the remainder of the season.

We have a couple of rookie elevations up our sleeve, so we should be able to cover a mid-season sacking OK. Obviously, the remainder of their contract (only ditch a player on a contract expiring this year!) needs to be paid out.

Reason to do this: Sends a huge message out to the rest of the list that the St Kilda FC is serious about addressing the issue of lack of commitment IMMEDIATELY.

Yes, it is very harsh, and very unsettling, but IMO we have little to lose at the moment given where we are sitting, so to speak.

ONE player and one player only is sufficient - anymore puts our playing stocks at risk if there is a major injury crisis.

Thoughts???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mid-season player sackings!

saintspremiers wrote:Time to wield the boot in the harshest possible fashion IMO.

There are a few players (squibs) on our list that won't be on the list next season due to softness and lack of commitment.

I won't name any names, but there are a few seasoned players that could be ditched right now and won't be missed for the remainder of the season.

We have a couple of rookie elevations up our sleeve, so we should be able to cover a mid-season sacking OK. Obviously, the remainder of their contract (only ditch a player on a contract expiring this year!) needs to be paid out.

Reason to do this: Sends a huge message out to the rest of the list that the St Kilda FC is serious about addressing the issue of lack of commitment IMMEDIATELY.

Yes, it is very harsh, and very unsettling, but IMO we have little to lose at the moment given where we are sitting, so to speak.

Thoughts???
Sackings cannot be replaced by rookies and we have none fit at the moment anyway.

kos
Club Player

last time we had a mid season sacking we started to improve.(capuano)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mid-season player sackings!

saintspremiers wrote:Time to wield the boot in the harshest possible fashion IMO.

ONE player and one player only is sufficient - anymore puts our playing stocks at risk if there is a major injury crisis.

Thoughts???
i will name names but sadly he just signed on to a new contract so the chances of him getting the sack are very low

i think all our rookies are injured anyway so nopoint elevating them but a pulbic bannishing to the casey 2nds would be a fair notice to the playing list and Gram the target is firmly on you !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
markinUSA
SS Life Member

According to West of Moorabbin, these are the players whose contracts expire in 2008:

Allen Attard Birss
*X Clarke * Believed to be in process or re-signed
Eddy Ferguson
L Fisher M Gardiner Gehrig
Hayes Gwilt
Jones Howard Hudghton
Milne Harvey van Rheenen

West of Moorabbin also has the following people as listed either 2008 or 2009.

Geary Rix C Gardiner
Dempster Schneider

Personally, I think that the only high profile ones on that list are

Harves, Gehrig, Lenny, Max and Steven Milne

But Gehrig is retiring, and Harves will probably retire too

So that leaves Max (veteran listed) Lenny and Milne.

On this year's form, there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD we'd delist Lenny.
Which leaves Steven Milne - our leading goal kicker this year (with 22)

I don't mean to be disrespectful - that is not my intention at all - so I am wondering if you would clarify who you meant, or was there someone else whose contract you thought expired in 2008?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

markinUSA wrote:According to West of Moorabbin, these are the players whose contracts expire in 2008:

Allen Attard Birss
*X Clarke * Believed to be in process or re-signed
Eddy Ferguson
L Fisher M Gardiner Gehrig
Hayes Gwilt
Jones Howard Hudghton
Milne Harvey van Rheenen

West of Moorabbin also has the following people as listed either 2008 or 2009.

Geary Rix C Gardiner
Dempster Schneider

Personally, I think that the only high profile ones on that list are

Harves, Gehrig, Lenny, Max and Steven Milne

But Gehrig is retiring, and Harves will probably retire too

So that leaves Max (veteran listed) Lenny and Milne.

On this year's form, there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD we'd delist Lenny.
Which leaves Steven Milne - our leading goal kicker this year (with 22)

I don't mean to be disrespectful - that is not my intention at all - so I am wondering if you would clarify who you meant, or was there someone else whose contract you thought expired in 2008?
There was someone else I hoped whose contract would expire this year who is soft.

But from your list, there are two names (both early to mid twenties) players.

No point in axing someone like Max or Gehrig, for instance, as they are oldies in their last years.....maximum impact can only come from ridding the club of a player who *potentially* would have a future (age wise that is!).

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Unless a player really out of line, it's generally not a good idea to let him go until the end of the season. I'd prefer to see the players that aren't giving 100%, in game in and game out, demoted to the seconds and replaced with guys which have a real yearning to play at the top level.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lenny signed till the end of 2010 after round 3.