know who's soft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

know who's soft

the softest of em all is lyon

its HIM & HIM alone that keeps bringing our marshmellows back or keeps them in the team

gram,schnieder,r.clarke,fiora etc dont select themselves its one r.fn lyon who selects them when blind freedy knows they are shielas

Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: know who's soft

rogerwa wrote:the softest of em all is lyon

its HIM & HIM alone that keeps bringing our marshmellows back or keeps them in the team

gram,schnieder,r.clarke,fiora etc dont select themselves its one r.fn lyon who selects them when blind freedy knows they are shielas
Thank god!!! Someone actually see's it for what it is!
Yes we all know we have soft players, those who cant be bothered to put their head over the ball. We know this and we can name every single one of them!
Problem is these players are continually picked by the coach who then turns around and realises 18 months down the track that they are soft!!! Especially when it comes to 2 players he was acquanted with at his former club as an assistant coach!!! Hello anything wrong with this picture?
Surely he would have been able to see which players were on the soft side during the off season and tried to do something about it.
But no he doesnt try to do it he makes it worse by adding or redrafting delisted players! Yes that will definately make us tougher! And he wonders why he is not getting any results or respect!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
bergsone
SS Life Member

Agree but i wouldnt leave his assistants out,love to be a fly on the wall at selection,because i just cannot see the logic inplaying some underperforming soft players.Apparently Armo must be even softer than those playing now ,why else not play him

suss
Club Player

So what you're saying is: we have players that are soft but the coach is more soft because he keeps selecting them?

Honestly, does Ross Lyon have a duty to make the players attack the ball once they cross the white line?? I wouldn't have thought so.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Coupla more softies in there too..

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Only about 30 of the playing list are AFL ready, so his options are a bit limited. I'd have thought (other than Ferguson) all the rest have played at least one game this year. Who is left to try?

But yes, Fiora, Gram and Dempster at least should have a run with Casey. And Raph should stay there too.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

in response to suss
answer to part one ....yes
answer to part 2..yes it is his responsibility & his alone to not KEEP selecting players who the world know are soft

& then after 18 months turn around & say we have some soft players...they have been soft all their careers yet IT TOOK UNTIL SUNDAY FOR THE PENNY TO DROP

thought he had been handed a flag 18 monthsa ago all he had to do was top up the list with
c.gardiner
king
dempster
gehrig
mcqaulter
scnierder
birss
gardiner
ferguson
& resign guns like fiora for 2 yrs

i wont be happy until he comes out & says...i thought i had it made but it goes to show i have no bloody idea

suss
Club Player

I’m not suggesting he is or isn’t the best coach going around but what I do know is this:

Firstly, our list is massively overrated. People that had us pencilled in for a Grand Final fail to appreciate the major deficiencies we have. I think RL knows this and is rebuilding the list. Even Sam Newman suggested so on the Footy Show last week.

Secondly, I don’t think he can drop the soft players (Gram , Fiora etc) because we don’t have the depth in the two’s to cover them. And furthermore I fail to see how it’s his fault.

What I do notice is a concerted effort to develop a full list of players that are capable of winning a premiership, not just getting close cause you’ve got some super stars in your line up.

And I think you need to look at his drafting in perspective. We gave up nothing to get Gardiner and King. Now we actually have a ruck department.

We gave up pick 26 for Schnieder and Dempster which was roundly considered a steal remembering we retained pick 8 which we wisely used on a great prospect in McEvoy.

He is also smart enough to realise that running a full compliment of rookies increases the chance of getting another Cox or Fletcher or Milne in your team at no cost.

I think right now he's been badly let down by the players. Not all of them mind you, but at the highest level you can't expect a team to perform with 16 goers and 6 passengers.

Maybe he is to blame for selecting the likes of Gram but until the soft players accept responsibility for their own actions we won't be winning many more games.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Schneider and Dempster are Lyon's lovechildren and new recruits, and no doubt Lyon feels duty-bound to protect them, which if so is bullshyte.

Why can't Schneider be dropped? He is surely playing way below is capacity, and needs a rocket (along with plenty of others).

minimum 4 changes this week IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

not just the coach roger theres a selection comitee who decide on who plays not just RL you would find the area coaches eg midfeilf coach backline coach and forwards coach have a major input on who plays . but ultimatly the buck stops with the players i can understand in the amatures a palyer not going in head first but at this level and with the big time $$ these guys comand its not good enuff

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Red
Club Player

The problem isn't that they are soft, it's that that they are playing out of

position. Gram was pulled to the full back line so he can't use his strengths

which is running and kicking. Fiora played as a pocket. At least Dempster

helped his team mates. He was the only one I saw leave his man to help out

Hudgton and Fisher. I really believe the opposition have worked out that

if Fisher and Gram have to look after dangerous players we lose our drive as

a team. As good as Ball and Lenny are they aren't as dangerous because

they don't put scoreboard pressure on.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

we got gardiner & king at pick 90 because they would not get a game at any other club which is why they were available

even duds are on about 150-200 grand a season (king maybe more)

what we did was pick up a knife & fork for 400 grand...ya could drop into bloody coles or woolies & pick up a knife & fork for 2 & 6

krabb
Club Player

I know who's not soft...and thats Brown and Bradshaw.

We were never going to win up there yesterday...anyone that thought we would has got rocks in their heads.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

hi krabb

also expected a 10 gl loss but even allowing for that a couple of efforts were a bloody disgrace

fioras so called attempt to tackle...put 2 fingers out & pinched the back of a lions players jumper...should have been dragged there & then

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:The problem isn't that they are soft, it's that that they are playing out of

position. Gram was pulled to the full back line so he can't use his strengths

which is running and kicking. Fiora played as a pocket. At least Dempster

helped his team mates. He was the only one I saw leave his man to help out

Hudgton and Fisher. I really believe the opposition have worked out that

if Fisher and Gram have to look after dangerous players we lose our drive as

a team. As good as Ball and Lenny are they aren't as dangerous because

they don't put scoreboard pressure on.
your right gram is played in the wrong position he should be playing wing defence for the morrabbin under 9's girls netball team maybe there he will learn so toughness ?
dempster and charlie are little more then training cones
shnider is still sulking about being pushed out of the "bloods" and wont ever reach his potential playing for a club he dosnt want to be at . Sam Fisher is the only shining light down back with maxy coming to the end of his career .
and Thank god for Lenny and bally cause sure they dont kick heaps of goals but heck we would be in real deep crap if we lost either or both of them ... the only players playing for pride out there the rest are playing for their pay theirego or that elusive premiership

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

matrix
Saintsational Legend

we lost heath black back to freo in that three way deal to get fiona from richmond :x

krabb
Club Player

Hiya Rog :wink:

Yeah...take the emotion out of it..and they're a rabble..

I vote for the Gold Coast...ensures our future...

We'll be filthy rich...

Have to buy new cabintes for all the premierships..

We get an armchair ride from the AFL...

Pick the eyes out of the draft..

I mean....whats to lose?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:we lost heath black back to freo in that three way deal to get fiona from richmond :x
richmond picked him over Pav ?!?!?

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

krabb wrote:Hiya Rog :wink:

Yeah...take the emotion out of it..and they're a rabble..

I vote for the Gold Coast...ensures our future...

We'll be filthy rich...

Have to buy new cabintes for all the premierships..

We get an armchair ride from the AFL...

Pick the eyes out of the draft..

I mean....whats to lose?
OUR SOUL

I assume your joking of course

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
The Peanut
Club Player

suss wrote:So what you're saying is: we have players that are soft but the coach is more soft because he keeps selecting them?

Honestly, does Ross Lyon have a duty to make the players attack the ball once they cross the white line?? I wouldn't have thought so.
well, I would have thought that it's definitely RL's responsibility - who else could it be?

He influences the drafted players
He is in charge of training
He overseas the fitness staff
He picks his assistants and overseas them
He is in charge of the selection panel
He does the pre-game banter (or directs the person that does)
He is in charge at the 'box'.

There isn't or shouldn't be anything that he is not responsible for in the football department.

You can't blame the players - like he did yesterday - if they are soft - it's 'his' fault - either that or he is having one hell of a lot of 'bad luck'. :lol:

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Agree 100%

Softness starts with Lyon's team selection, about time he started being accountable for his numbnut nuffiness

Play the kids

Still can't believe he dropped Armitage for Fiora, unbelievable, what was he thinking, oh that's right he wasn't

Ferguson has potential, never been played on the forwardline in over 5 years, yet he played all of his junior football there, GO FIGURE :roll:

nah just recycle the same old duds, because obviously that's where our next premiership is coming from :roll:

PLAY THE KIDS FOR GOODNESS SAKE

FAIR DINKUM

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

The Peanut wrote:You can't blame the players - like he did yesterday - if they are soft - it's 'his' fault - either that or he is having one hell of a lot of 'bad luck'. :lol:
Yes you can. They are on the field representing our club, and they were as soft as butter. What precisely can the coach do about it mid game other that extort a harder effort from the players? And if the coach does that, and they don't deliver, surely it's down to the players?

I accept being beaten by a better side if I feel we've had a genuine crack. That certainly wasn't the case yesterday. And I do blame the weak-ass soft as butter players for that. It was a pitiful effort.

busso mick
Club Player

I'm with St DAC in that our players represent the club in a sport that requires both skill and courage to be successful. With all of the rule changes manufactured by the AFL over the last 10 years the game has become less contact than ever before. But there are times when you have to man up and apply physical pressure on your opponent or you will be exposed.

Its no secret that Brisbane play a physical style of football with their coach a human version of a Mack truck when he played. If some of our blokes served up their game on the weekend to Matthews they would be banished, with some of their files to be marked "Trade Bait". Ross Lyon can not make the players more courageous, it's something they have as part of their innate character or not. The blame rests fairly and squarely on the players in being labelled soft or not.

From my memory Lyon was a very courageous footballer who went in hard as well and got rubbed out a few times as well with his "endeavour".
As far as how we are instructed to hang on to the ball till a "better" option arises, then that is entirely up to Lyon & his assistants department.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

rogerwa wrote:hi krabb

also expected a 10 gl loss but even allowing for that a couple of efforts were a bloody disgrace

fioras so called attempt to tackle...put 2 fingers out & pinched the back of a lions players jumper...should have been dragged there & then

should have been dragged in the first 30 seconds when he got a scare from his opwn shadow and fumbled the ball when he was on his lonesome in the forward 50 ffs.......lost me then and there.......probably for good too...and i used to always defend him......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
aussiejones
Club Player

"I think right now he's been badly let down by the players"

Is this the REAL problem ??

They are not adhering to the PLAN

Or Do not understand the plan ?

Or there is no plan

Skill & confidence is down particularly Gram , Fiora . They are better than they are showing at present.

Schnieder ..... Unproven at Saints ....yet to settle or has he lost it?

Seems yesterday ....they didnt play as a team (due to pressure ) or endeavour...... It comes back to player attitude plus playing some out of position.

OK RL ......time to ACT !!!!