The Positives....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:lol

You didn't even watch the f***ing game. :lol:
er...mods?

Can we just talk football without the trash from this clown?

I was of the opinion this constant cr@p was being removed off the forum?"

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

What's wrong Teffers?

Don't like being called out for the fraud you really are?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:What's wrong Teffers?

Don't like being called out for the fraud you really are?
Yes Jeff thats it. You should be on Cheaters you big detective.

Its pretty simple. I started a thread to talk positives - your agenda is to clearly hijack it with attacks on me.

Ive previously been sanctioned for the same behaviour and am at a loss as to why you seem to get so much latitude?

Mods?

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

Sorry Teffers, I shouldn't try and make you look like a dill. You're the master of that craft.

Here's your chance too . . . how are you so sure the players are completely to blame for today's performance if you didn't watch it?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Sorry Teffers, I shouldn't try and make you look like a dill. You're the master of that craft.

Here's your chance too . . . how are you so sure the players are completely to blame for today's performance if you didn't watch it?
Read the thread title Jeff - or ask your hostel manager to read it for you... :wink:

I mean seriously...who has the time to deal with this type of dill..... :lol:

No wonder Joffa Burns went nuts..... :idea:

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

Answer the question Teffers.

C'mon . . . as you say . . . SPIT IT OUT!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

the only positives i saw were that kosi might make it as a full forward and that we had one of our best quarters for the year once the game was well and truly decided.

and if you can count the amazing form of a 98-year-old as a positive then that was one, too.

apart from that we sucked ... big time.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:the only positives i saw were that kosi might make it as a full forward and that we had one of our best quarters for the year once the game was well and truly decided.

and if you can count the amazing form of a 98-year-old as a positive then that was one, too.

apart from that we sucked ... big time.
Carl how did Kosi go today up fwd?

I couldnt see from Carlton as there were trees in my way?

Ta

Teffers :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

even scummer supporters sticking the boot in failed to entice a reasonable effort out of this side ffs.....

"Saints prove the believers wrong

May 25, 2008

IF GEELONG is the classy reigning champion and Hawthorn the glamorous contender, the Western Bulldogs sentimental favourites and Collingwood Collingwood, why is it that St Kilda continues to be so talked and written about? It is the team about which everyone has a theory or diagnosis.

Actually, the question is rhetorical and the answer obvious: the media got it wrong and must explain it away. The Saints' prospects this year were vastly over-rated. Rather than being a premiership prospect, they are going to struggle to avoid a second consecutive season without an involvement in the finals. This is not how it was meant to be.

In this newspaper's pre-season supplement, 12 of 18 tipsters had St Kilda making the grand final; five tipped them to win the flag. Over at the other local daily, Mike Sheahan also succumbed to the euphoria and nominated the Saints as his premiership favourite.

Even Kevin Sheedy, who presciently suggested after two rounds last year that Geelong could win the flag, fell in. He said the Saints were a team capable of doing just as the Cats had: resurrecting in one season and climbing from out of the eight to a premiership. Who is one to question such hot form and authority?

Yet the form-line stated unambiguously that St Kilda was in decline: one kick short of a grand final in 2004, a more heavily beaten preliminary finalist in 2005, eliminated in the first week of the finals in '06, and out of the eight last year. This was nothing like Geelong's four year pre-premiership graph. The Cats were a youngish, improving team that stumbled badly in 2006 and were humbled, and hardened, by the experience. St Kilda has been on an inexorable slide and nothing has happened this year to suggest anything other than its continuation.

As a first-time coach, Ross Lyon is in the hottest seat in town. He took over a team whose reversing fortunes were not yet clearly established. Expectation remained high. It was assumed he would add a missing dimension to transform a contender into a champion. Not only has that not happened, but Lyon's attempt to stiffen St Kilda's defensive side has produced a less-attractive style.

It is erroneous and unfair, however, to judge Lyon on the basis that he inherited a premiership team-in-waiting. Perhaps, in opting to tackle the St Kilda job, he misjudged the potential of his cattle, but, gulp, he's not alone in that.

To assess St Kilda's current on-field circumstances, it's worth re-visiting that preliminary final night in September 2004 when, even amid the momentary heartbreak of a six-point loss to Port Adelaide, the future appeared to belong to the Saints. "Their time's going to come and I mean the big time," said Mick Malthouse on Channel Ten.

Of those who played that night, nine are no longer at the club. Neither is Aaron Hamill, who missed the match through injury. Among the other nine departed are grunt-men Andrew Thompson, Brent Guerra, Brett Voss and Stephen Powell, runners Heath Black and Aussie Jones, and tall defender Luke Penny. Grunt, run, and a tall defender: couldn't the 2008 Saints use some of that now?

Fraser Gehrig was a century goal-kicker in 2004, Robert Harvey had just turned 33 and was still close to his best, Luke Ball hadn't been debilitated by injury, Matt Maguire was fit and strong, while Nick dal Santo and Justin Koschitzke were playing as though there was no tomorrow.

Only Brendon Goddard and Leigh Montagna (who missed the game with an injury) have become consistently better players than they were then. With few exceptions, the 2004 St Kilda stars either were young, old, or rapidly ageing. The mix was never quite right to allow for steady development.

The loss of Hamill cut deepest. Not only was he another forward target, the Saints all walked half a foot taller when he was among them.

And what are the gains to account for these various losses? The answer is Shane Birss, Aaron Fiora, Michael and Charlie Gardiner, Steven King and Adam Schneider. Only Sam Fisher and Jason Gram of the rest of the 2004 list have shown appreciable improvement. The debits since that game against Port Adelaide have significantly exceeded the credits.

It's interesting that a team's prospects could have been so widely misjudged when its flight path has been one of steady descent. The search for explanations leads to the haunting presence of Grant Thomas. From the moment he succeeded Malcolm Blight, he was widely viewed as an interloper. Whatever the characteristics that caused so many to apparently will him to fail, Thomas managed to bring his St Kilda team together and for two exciting seasons have them on the brink of success.

One could surmise this meant that for the critics to be right, there had to be a premiership in this team. Whether they were right about Thomas, I don't claim to know. What has become glaringly apparent is that many got it wrong in their assessment of the 2008 Saints.
'

....sadly the prick is right........ :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Carl how did Kosi go today up fwd?

I couldnt see from Carlton as there were trees in my way?

Ta

Teffers :wink:

:?

JeffDunne

He actually looked dangerous when the players forgot the game plan and kicked the ball long to him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
He actually looked dangerous when the players forgot the game plan and kicked the ball long to him.
Good work Jeff - A FOOTBALL comment......half @ssed....but we'll take it.

Keep up the good work.

“Yeah….nah””
Solar
Saintsational Legend

we learnt alot from this game, certain players were given ample chances to show something.

1. Dal santo showed that he is a clever Half forward, not a midfielder.Sooner we get this in our coaches head the better.

2. Too many player specatate. I have named them in other threads but it's not just the usual names. Schneider, joey, dal, gram all refuse to attack the ball or ball carier. Gram was given a chance to stand up as a pure midfielder in that second half and didn't.

Positives of the game

Birss has taken over as our best hard running run with player.

Kosi can play as a key forward but needs support around him. Also is starting to turn around the goal kicking yips.

hayes is awesome

Gardiner started jumping and setting up goals when our half forwards decided to work to position (see milnes goals in final quarter).

You need to hit rock bottom sometimes to get a real sense of where a list is. Right now we are.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:You need to hit rock bottom sometimes to get a real sense of where a list is. Right now we are.
I reckon thats the key Solar - we are rock bottom.

I expect we'll beat Melb...that wont tell us much.......its against the Dogs a week later will be interesting at the Dome....

“Yeah….nah””
Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Hayes, Harvey, Birss, Kosi - all solid contributors today

The weather.

The beer.

The guts to play a kid like Geary.

Eight goal rampage in the last quarter.

Agree that Dal should be the next Simon Goodwin and go forward and cause carnage with his quick, silky skills.... where are our next gen midfielders ready to step into the void? I am POSITIVE that they exist!

Stay happy everyone! :wink:

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:1. Dal santo showed that he is a clever Half forward, not a midfielder. Sooner we get this in our coaches head the better.
agree. should be played half forward where he could be worth three or four goals a week.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Just confirming that the sun has risen in Sydney today (as I predicted yesterday evening) and that we are still in touch - with a world of improvement to come.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

After the first five minutes of the game, we outplayed them for the rest of the first quarter. The second quater started slowly, with Riewoldt's miss being crucial. Five minutes later, the midfied is in control. We have Ball streaming thorugh the centre with players running in support to his left and right. A crappy handball is intercepted, and Brisbane get a goal. This is when the rot sets in. Two minutes later, another trunover results in a Brisbane goal.

They really dropped their heads after that, and I think this is where the mental toughness comes into play. Along with that were some shocking kicks into forward fifty that set up the opposition for clean, easy, and damaging rebounds.

For the next 50 minutes, it was completely insipid, and the passengers were exposed for what they are yet again - the likes of Schneider, Gram, and Fiora in particular. It only takes two or three not doing their job and the whole thing falls apart.

We showed that we are more than capable, but we drop our heads far too easily when a couple of things don't go our way. We had fifty minutes of real catastrophe in a 120 minute game.

Part of the solution is to weed out those who are mentally weak, so Fiora and Schneider must go to Casey this week and stay there permanently. Gram holds his place by the skin of his teeth. Leigh Fisher needs to return to his best position in defence.

With luck, Baker and Armitage can return and do the grunt work in the midfield to allow the likes of Montagna to break tags and be more creative.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

After the first five minutes of the game, we outplayed them for the rest of the first quarter. The second quater started slowly, with Riewoldt's miss being crucial. Five minutes later, the midfied is in control. We have Ball streaming thorugh the centre with players running in support to his left and right. A crappy handball is intercepted, and Brisbane get a goal. This is when the rot sets in. Two minutes later, another trunover results in a Brisbane goal.

They really dropped their heads after that, and I think this is where the mental toughness comes into play. Along with that were some shocking kicks into forward fifty that set up the opposition for clean, easy, and damaging rebounds.

For the next 50 minutes, it was completely insipid, and the passengers were exposed for what they are yet again - the likes of Schneider, Gram, and Fiora in particular. It only takes two or three not doing their job and the whole thing falls apart.

We showed that we are more than capable, but we drop our heads far too easily when a couple of things don't go our way. We had fifty minutes of real catastrophe in a 120 minute game.

Part of the solution is to weed out those who are mentally weak, so Fiora and Schneider must go to Casey this week and stay there permanently. Gram holds his place by the skin of his teeth. Leigh Fisher needs to return to his best position in defence.

With luck, Baker and Armitage can return and do the grunt work in the midfield to allow the likes of Montagna to break tags and be more creative.

Quixote
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:Another game closer to a change of coach!!

Also, I agree that kosi showed glimpses

Also geary at times and, unexpectedly, birss: who is one of the very few who seems to be improving

Am I the only one around here that thinks you are a supreme f*ckwit and more than likely not a St Kilda supporter???

:twisted:

Quixote
SS Life Member

cowboy18 wrote:6. Gardiner did some good things too.
M Gardiner is progressing super well for mine. He is getting better each week and I wish other players would put in like him. Onya Gards!

S King, however.... will need a good game soon.

Or hello Ben.

clobba
Club Player

Hayes went well

only 13 rounds left till the pain is over :oops:

Buckets
SS Life Member

There were no injuries :wink:

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you