The missing element - passion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWal
Club Player

The missing element - passion

I just saw the end of the Kangaroos v Bulldogs game and I saw what is missing the Saints.

PASSION

Dean Laidley obviously loves the club and the players and by the looks the players love Him.

Have a good look Saints

P A S S I O N

stevos2151
Club Player

I was just about to post the same thing. It is inspirational watching North Melbourne play.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Is this a fault of the players, the coach or both...
Cos for 1 thing i am sick and tired of watching this Timmid like team run out every week and put in insipid uninspiring efforts!
Things need to change and quickly because otherwise we will never be able to get the P A S S I O N back!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
SaintWal
Club Player

Buckets,

I have always been skeptical to blame the coach but at the moment I see a team that has very little passion. Some players will never need a coach to rally there natural instincts to play at their best but it is fact of human nature that some do.

Having a dead wet fish coming out at quarter and three quarter time would do nothing, I believe, to motivate the Players. He may be different before the game and at half time but I really do not think so.

I looked at the Dreamtime game and although the verdict on Knights is out I thought at least he was passionate and animated and the players to a certain extent responded in the second half.

Interested in your thoughts

bergsone
SS Life Member

SaintWal wrote:Buckets,

I have always been skeptical to blame the coach but at the moment I see a team that has very little passion. Some players will never need a coach to rally there natural instincts to play at their best but it is fact of human nature that some do.

Having a dead wet fish coming out at quarter and three quarter time would do nothing, I believe, to motivate the Players. He may be different before the game and at half time but I really do not think so.

I looked at the Dreamtime game and although the verdict on Knights is out I thought at least he was passionate and animated and the players to a certain extent responded in the second half.

Interested in your thoughts
Maybe RL should give em a big spray in front of everyone ,and show he has some passion for the club .Dont reckon he has it in em but

St.Kenny
Club Player

No passion..No real goers.. no f*%$ing hope without it. Would any of these players really risk their own positions in the team for the good of the club. Besides the obvious I reckon they're all in it for themselves. ANd at the end of the day I b lame the 'knobs' at our club whoreally believed a new coach would help us. WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH.....sucked in fellas

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
SaintWal
Club Player

It is not about giving a spray.

I should have gone into it further.

GT did not have to go and blast players for them to get the message. He was passionate about the club, the game and the players and it showed.

It must be hard for a guy coming from another club and try to find passion for a place that until last year he did not know the intimacies of.

Don't get me wrong, I thought and said publically, that I felt that GT was not a good game day coach. However, I thought his passion for the club was unquestionable and defintely ran on to the players. He was also getting to a stage in his coaching carrer where he was prepared to let players go in order to better the team. IE Milne

SaintWal
Club Player

St.Kenny wrote:No passion..No real goers.. no f*%$ing hope without it. Would any of these players really risk their own positions in the team for the good of the club. Besides the obvious I reckon they're all in it for themselves. ANd at the end of the day I b lame the 'knobs' at our club whoreally believed a new coach would help us. WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH.....sucked in fellas
St.Kenny, You cannot say that about the likes of Ball, Lenny and Max. I just wish other players were as, here we go again, passionate in the way they play there football.

Sorry people, I am very frustrated at the way we are playing and I really think that unless there is a huge shift in the thinking and gameplan then we are headed for the bottom four and this list is not a bottom four list.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

ROss gave the 1/2 time speech at 1/4 time and the rest is history.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

agreed

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Buckets
SS Life Member

Wal
You know where i stand on my opinion of Lyon as coach. I saw it as a desperate play by the previous administration to get more accountability from the Football Department. The admin never really tried to headhunt an experienced coach rather they looked at rookie coach's who they believed could take the team to the next level.

Unfortunately they picked someone who did not at the time seem to have really had his heart set on taking up the reins at another club other than the one he had previously served at as an assistant. Last year he was given the benefit of the doubt in terms of injuries, however he has one full term at the helm and it was expected to see at least some improvement and results this season.

Lyon seems to lack a vital ingredient when it comes to match day coaching and that is getting the most out of his players. Whether you define this as passion or inspiration i don't really know all i can say is that we have in fact gone backwards from last year and to say that it is solely the fault of the players is fool hardy at best. The coach is responsible for palyer management and player growth and to this stage of the year i cannot say that he has done either to a satisfactory standard. Not only that but as coach he was responsible for bringing in players into this match who were not up to the challenge of playing tough footy. Why in the world would you bring in Fiora and omit a player in Armitage who would everyday of the week put his body and head over the ball absolutely astounds me to no end.
Do i believe Lyon has what it takes to get this team playing all cylinders i seriously doubt it! I have yet to see him really bake his players at any stage this year - at 1/4 and 3/4 stoppages. The only time he bakes them is in front of the media so he can have an excuse so he doesn't look incompetant and to me that is the sign of a coach who:
a. has lost the players confidence and respect
b. is trying to cover for his own inadequacies
c. has no answers

Do i have the answers to fix the problem, no if i did i would not be on here more to the point i would be down at the club in a position to do something about it!
Do i think Lyon has to go...maybe if today was a crunch game then we were weighed measured and were found lacking in all aspects of a football team. We now have the biggest game of the last 4 years this week against a team that has only won a handful of games. Now if we dont come out and absolutely blast them away...and im not talking about a 6 goal win more like a 60-70 point win, then the blowtorch will have been applied and Lyon will have melted against the pressure and the club may have no option other than to make drastic changes for better or worse!

SaintWal
Club Player

Buckets,

Agree with most of your thoughts.

Scarily enough if Melbourne play with the same spirit as they did yesterday they will beat us.

Buckets
SS Life Member

SaintWal wrote:Buckets,

Agree with most of your thoughts.

Scarily enough if Melbourne play with the same spirit as they did yesterday they will beat us.
Hell I am already finding it hard to put the pen through Melbourne's name for this round of tipping, i really can't see us playing to any sort of competative level to combat Melbourne. They have shown more in the last 4 weeks than we have all bloody year.
Mark Harvey would love for Freo to be playing the Saints in the next two weeks because he could actually pencil his boys in for a win because they wouldnt have to fear a late comeback by us! :cry:

bergsone
SS Life Member

I havent seen any passion frm this side for 18 months.Is telling us something

Buckets
SS Life Member

bergsone wrote:I havent seen any passion frm this side for 18 months.Is telling us something
Isn't it a bit scary that the passion seems to have disappeared the same time Lyon came in?