So should the Saints play like the Cats still????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So should the Saints play like the Cats still????

It has a been a forum favorite for a while that the Saints should play more like the Cats..

Interesting that the Pies...just played like the Pies (ie their own game plan) and that they won in a canter.

Now yes last night was probably also in part that the Cats were a bit off their game..BUT be in no doubt credit is due the Pies who won due to a fierce desire to win and absolute dedication to their gameplan and roles. It makesa difference too when you can deliver to your forwards well....and that they then honor that by taking the contested marks...)

Last year the Pies almost knocked of the Cats....in the PF....by playing their game plan as well.

What I mainly saw last night was ONE team absolutely working their butts off....and in executing what they did do well.

That is what the Saints need to do......

To lift their work rate and execute better....as a team.

This in part comes from confidence and self-belief.

What we do not need to do is to abandon our gameplan.....to slavishly follow the Cats, Hawks or anyone else (and no our current gameplan is nota clone of the Swans either despite the many who say it is).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Re: So should the Saints play like the Cats still????

saintsRrising wrote:It has a been a forum favorite for a while that the Saints should play more like the Cats..

Interesting that the Pies...just played like the Pies (ie their own game plan) and that they won in a canter.

Now yes last night was probably also in part that the Cats were a bit off their game..BUT be in no doubt credit is due the Pies who won due to a fierce desire to win and absolute dedication to their gameplan and roles. It makesa difference too when you can deliver to your forwards well....and that they then honor that by taking the contested marks...)

Last year the Pies almost knocked of the Cats....in the PF....by playing their game plan as well.

What I mainly saw last night was ONE team absolutely working their butts off....and in executing what they did do well.

That is what the Saints need to do......

To lift their work rate and execute better....as a team.

This in part comes from confidence and self-belief.

What we do not need to do is to abandon our gameplan.....to slavishly follow the Cats, Hawks or anyone else (and no our current gameplan is nota clone of the Swans either despite the many who say it is).
Don't forget, the Cats are still 8-1

Geelong played crap, 50-60% of their best, Collingwood played awesome 120% of their best.

They played badly, lost by 90 odd points...but they still have a % that is 30% above ours.

The cats didn't lose because of their style, they lost because they didn't play well enough.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

My point is that Pies won by concentrating on doing what they do well....including their own game plan...

and NOT by slavishly trying to out do Geelong with a Geelong gameplan.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:My point is that Pies won by concentrating on doing what they do well....including their own game plan...

Actually, its funny you say that.

Firstly, Collingwoods game plan isn't that dissimilar to Geelongs. It's not as open, or as free running ... but it has similarites.

Their was an article about this on the afl site..:
"Pies beat us Geelong-style: Corey
GEELONG midfielder Joel Corey says Collingwood beat the Cats by replicating their style of football.

The Magpies thrashed Geelong by 86 points on Friday night, thanks to hard running and harassing.

“They tackled very well. They tackled how we tackled last year. We need to get back to that and they started very well too,â€

matrix
Saintsational Legend

game plan shmame plan :roll:
u cant sit on top for ever, everyone has to drop one sometime.
apparently tackle pressure had something to do with the pies winning.
interesting that lenny and bally are up there in the league for tackles......and on that note we should beat geelong next time we play them then.

lets just say heaven help whoever plays the cats next week.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Yes.

ratismeat
Club Player

If that wasn't the pies at full gallop what is?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:My point is that Pies won by concentrating on doing what they do well....including their own game plan...

Actually, its funny you say that.

Firstly, Collingwoods game plan isn't that dissimilar to Geelongs. It's not as open, or as free running ... but it has similarites.

Their was an article about this on the afl site..:
"Pies beat us Geelong-style: Corey
GEELONG midfielder Joel Corey says Collingwood beat the Cats by replicating their style of football.

The Magpies thrashed Geelong by 86 points on Friday night, thanks to hard running and harassing.

“They tackled very well. They tackled how we tackled last year. We need to get back to that and they started very well too,â€

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Maybe we should play like the Pies :D

Superboot
SS Life Member

Winmarvellous wrote:Maybe we should play like the Pies :D
We could try, but they were much quicker than us, and they seem to have three or four guys who can take a mark under pressure while running flat out.

I still think we are better than Collingwood though. We threw that one away.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

we should play like the saints.

find a gameplan that suits our strengths and stick to it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:we should play like the saints.

find a gameplan that suits our strengths and stick to it.
I agree.....

I think our game plan this year has been hampered by the fact that by and large that our running players have been out of form.

We need them to hit their straps...as this allows you to break the lines and move the ball quicker.

Bally and Hayes are in good form...so we just need our runners to hit form....get some better kicks into the forward line...and have our tall fowards takea few more grabs.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Our forwards are pretty much out of form. The big problem I see this year is our poor result in contested possessions -the one-on-one contests. We are not doing well in that area and need to pick up in a big way.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Yes for now. I see your point but ask this question in another 3 weeks time . I can't be convinced that quickly after 1 game but i will have money on Geelong having more chance of winning the next eight than Collingwood .

OK put it this way if next weekend was round 22 and we were playing for a spot in the eight who would you rather play ?