Short Memories

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

pluggernaut
Club Player

Short Memories

What annoys me most at the moment about the way we play is this.....

I still remember when, at towards the end of Thommo's tenure, our game plan seemed to be to just get the ball and bomb it long to Frase and Rooey, with Kosi doing the odd cameo. I still remember watching those games and being so infuriated at our "game plan" because the opposition would just drop defenders back and run off us. It was so PREDICTABLE!

Now we do the opposite. We get the ball and it seems the last thing we want to do is bang it forward to our forwards. We muck around and our skills at hitting a moving leading forward target are deplorable. Frase was not the Frase of old last week, but it wasn't all his fault. The way we kicked the ball to him reminded me of the way the Tigers used to kick the ball to Richo. Too far out front, too high, at his feet, missing completely - it was horrible.

So before we start bagging this "unattractive" football - and I don't care what it looks like if we can make it winning footy - let's not forget that even when we had a plan that evolved kicking long to the square, we were still predictable, and weren't winning as many games as we should have.

Oh to find the answer and make us the team we should be!!!

Halo Halo
Club Player

Dont forget that so called just bombing it long got us into finals.. Even at the end of the Thommo era we played in an elimination final & two pre-lims before that!!

Maybe playing the way we used too play suited our players cos it certainly looks to me that the current playing style doesnt suit them one little bit..

I dont wanna play Geelong's game plan, I dont wanna play Sydney style. I just wanna watch the Saints play a decent brand of footy..

Saints43
Club Player

Re: Short Memories

pluggernaut wrote:we had a plan that evolved kicking long to the square, we were still predictable, and weren't winning as many games as we should have.
Remember we had to play the full allocation of interstate games so that the "big four" can play each other twice and sell home games to Tasmania to make money.

We still won 14 games in 2006, we won 14 games in 2005, we won 16 games in 2004.

How many games should we have won?

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

in 2006 we won 14 & a 1/2 games .... it was only the afl changing the result 3 days after the event (ffs)that prevented us from finishing top 4 ahead of fremantle

games played & won without afl intervention had us finishing

TOP 4 in 2004,2005 & 2006

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Re: Short Memories

pluggernaut wrote:What annoys me most at the moment about the way we play is this.....

I still remember when, at towards the end of Thommo's tenure, our game plan seemed to be to just get the ball and bomb it long to Frase and Rooey, with Kosi doing the odd cameo. I still remember watching those games and being so infuriated at our "game plan" because the opposition would just drop defenders back and run off us. It was so PREDICTABLE!

Now we do the opposite. We get the ball and it seems the last thing we want to do is bang it forward to our forwards. We muck around and our skills at hitting a moving leading forward target are deplorable. Frase was not the Frase of old last week, but it wasn't all his fault. The way we kicked the ball to him reminded me of the way the Tigers used to kick the ball to Richo. Too far out front, too high, at his feet, missing completely - it was horrible.

So before we start bagging this "unattractive" football - and I don't care what it looks like if we can make it winning footy - let's not forget that even when we had a plan that evolved kicking long to the square, we were still predictable, and weren't winning as many games as we should have.

Oh to find the answer and make us the team we should be!!!

Id take that anyday over the garbage, utter garbage being served up so far this year. And in case you havent noticed, we still arent winning, and win we do its pure luck!