Where is a mark deemed to be taken...?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Die Hard
Club Player

Where is a mark deemed to be taken...?

Ok, here's a question for all budding (closet) umpires. Can someone tell me when a player jumps in the air for a mark, is the mark itself deemed to be 1) the point where the player jumped from, 2) the point in the air where he actually took control 3) where he lands after taking full control? I've just noticed over the past few games that I cannot seem to find any consistency on where the umpire deems the mark to have actually taken place???

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

where he actually took control...

luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

To me.. It's always looked like it's where the player lands...
but now that you mentioned it.. I'm not really sure.
But I've always thought it was where the player lands after/when full control is achieved...

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
Die Hard
Club Player

Yup, I always thought it was at the point of control also, but i've noticed all too many forwards of late, ie, Medhurst & Rocca (when he actually gets a touch that is!) and a few others who will take a mark and literally go back to the point where they took off from and scuff the ground and often the umpire will take that point also. Often the backman is 3 - 5 meters further up the ground away from the goals manning the mark at this point.