Question

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Question

I read a lot of the threads, the doom and gloom ones plus the ones bristling with eternal optimism.
So my question is simple. Does the St.Kilda Football Club Know how to be successful?
I ask this because you have to take into account our abysmal history and the way we have constantly shot ourselves in the foot whenever we are on the verge of success.
Maybe it's me but too many of our players do not appear to be hungry for success and are content just to make the finals believing that that constitutes a successful season.
Comments please.

esaint66
SS Life Member

Re: Question

3rd generation saint wrote:I read a lot of the threads, the doom and gloom ones plus the ones bristling with eternal optimism.
So my question is simple. Does the St.Kilda Football Club Know how to be successful?
I ask this because you have to take into account our abysmal history and the way we have constantly shot ourselves in the foot whenever we are on the verge of success.
Maybe it's me but too many of our players do not appear to be hungry for success and are content just to make the finals believing that that constitutes a successful season.
Comments please.

I hear what you are saying, i originally thought it was down to bad luck, but its been happeneing throughout our whole history so it has to somethign other or maybe the saints up in the sky dont really like the ones down on the field.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Hard one to answer that.In hindsight aLOT of things should have been done different ,on and off the field.Unfortunately you cant change history

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

U make ur own luck

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
matrix
Saintsational Legend

if we are saying "success" is premiership wins............then no, we dont know how to be successful.

but that'll change.......one day 8-)

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

History means absolutely zero

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
JeffDunne

We are a football club where supporters seem to focus more on individuals than the club.

Supporting self interest & nepotism because you support certain individuals is a guaranteed way of supporting a losing club. Cloaking support for incompetence by "sticking fat" simply because someone holds a title, is not only facilitating self interest but it's asking for it.

Everyone wants to be the messiah - even if they have to risk killing the club to achieve it

spert
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we could look back to our only premiership -what went right there? I believe it was excellent recruiting, which gave us a balanced team all over the field and persistance with a coach who wasn't very convincing when he took over the reigns intitially, and was himself never a star footballer. The club went through a healthy period, then tapered off when some stars got older and injury-prone. We got some good players in the 70s and threatened a bit, but I think successive boards just looked for instant fixes for year after year instead of planning for long-term success -also financially they buggered up badly.

I don't believe our recruiting has been as good as some say..over the last 10 years I think the focus has still been too much on getting players who have great natural talent, rather than recruit players who will perform certain roles on the field -not necessarily great talents. In other words a collection of champions, rather than a champion team.

I agree that there has been too much focus on the individual for years, and not enough on the club. As supporters and members we must demand that the board always show clear plans for success for the club, and reject any individuals who disrupt the club at board level right down to player level - if the club is not travelling well, then direct your displeasure directly at the board and management, not the coach or players.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Re: Question

3rd generation saint wrote:I read a lot of the threads, the doom and gloom ones plus the ones bristling with eternal optimism.
Comments please.
YOU ARE SO ON THE MONEY. Anyone who has been supporting this club going back to the 70s / 80s knows and have heard a million inside stories from credible sources about this. I know supporters in denial or naive ones who are going to not want to fog up their rose coloured glasses refuse this strongly.

I believe the lists we have had over the past 20 years were stronger in some years than any and were easily good enough to have won a flag but poor coaching , injuries etc have not been the only reason. If the club was more professionally run like the lions we could realistically have had 2 or 3 flags as well . The realists know this.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

KULCHA.

“Yeah….nah””