dragging guys who have just kicked a goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

karnaby
Club Player

Banger2Plugger wrote:Old Basketball adage - if the player is running HOT, give them the damn ball!
I agree, if a player is beating their oppposition, and the opposition number to that player hasnt changed - why bench them ? Would understand if the player is absolutely spent - <snip>
I agree with the above especially in relation to forwards and maybe a midfielder who might be able to go forward for a couple of minutes before having their bench time.

If we take a player off who has just kicked a goal we instantly deny ourselves a potential psychological edge. Milne for example is a hot & cold player who really can get a run on, following his 7 goals last match I bet his opponent breathed a very big sigh of relief to see him running to the bench rather than coming back & giving him a gob full about how he was just waiting to kick the next one.

Obviously some players definitely do need a rest & in some circumstances, such as saintspremiers pointed out, it can be used to mix things up. But equally there are times when it might be better to reward the goal kicker with a reprieve from his benching.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Rickabee wrote:Kicking goals just doesn't seem like a very high priority with the current coaching staff. Do we even have a goal kicking coach?
it's very frustrating. we have forwards such as riewoldt, milne and kosi who should be the envy of many other teams, but for some reason we can't get it to click as a unit.

our slow and haphazard delivery to them is half the problem

Saintly_31
Club Player

heard joey on sen say that the player stays on the ground for a set
time & when the time is nearly up they push up the ground for one last time & thats why they are go up forward & hopefully kick the goal then
go off.

Maguire's Squire #25

myspace: www.myspace.com/kirll
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:When a player who is not a forward at the time of kicking a goal kicks a goal, he is therefore out of position, and would have to move a distance to get back into the right spot for the restart.

If you interchange that player straight after he kicks a goal, a new player can come on in a different position, and in another player can pick up the goalkicker's opponent.

What I'm getting at is that it's a good way to mix it up and strategically confuse the opposition.

Makes sense doesn't it? :)
Seems as good an explanation as any.

What I've been told (no idea if it's tru or not) is it's a matchups thing. Player kicks a goal, and to prevent the opposition from being able to match up or shift a matchup to prevent it happening again, that player is immediately rotated.

Opposition is left with a guy whose opponent just kicked a goal not being sure whether to match up on the new guy or come off, the coach not being able to send an immediate message as he's got a new setup in front of him, and are as a whole forced into a reactive position.

Which also makes as much sense as anything else I've come up with. It's just become a way of life, I imagine of all the explanations there's a little bit of all of them to it, and the real story is: it's just the way it is.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford