Alex Silvagni

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

iceman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
mightysainters wrote:yeh he definately should of made the state squad tho... just because he didnt doesnt mean he didn't deserve it....
I think it does. He wasnt rated in the best 3-4 backline KPP in the VFL and they see all clubs not like us who are not comparing him to anyone.
I know the club was furious at his non selection and will be pushing for him to make it in the coming week.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:you are not basing your assumptions on fact...by the way you are stating things you havent watched him play just looking at the state squad which he didn't make...

He is a very solid player will only improve his skills and ability...
When did I say I havent wached him play. Have seen him 3 times this year and 7 times last year. Probably the same amount the year before that. Will he improve his skills. Doubtful at his age. He is a solid player but there are better backmen in the VFL so if we need one why not look at them as well.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

iceman wrote:Silvagni is a gun footballer and should definately be looked at, Max will probably retire at seasons end and here is one bloke who can step up.

Saying he can't kick is ridiulous because he hits his targets when he has to. Has the speed to play short and the strangth to play tall. Very quick off the mark, but just as impressive closing speed.

I remember reading about him the year Casey signed him, went through the School system as an u/18 which ultimately may have cost him, jury is still out and i know others have been drafted through the school system, but thats just my opinion.
mmm iceman i am a big fan of him... but his kicking is very ordinary.... He does everything right but his kicking skills are quite average.... yer the school system is terrible for an afl prospect... as haileybury have shown...

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
mightysainters wrote:you are not basing your assumptions on fact...by the way you are stating things you havent watched him play just looking at the state squad which he didn't make...

When did I say I havent wached him play. Have seen him 3 times this year and 7 times last year. Probably the same amount the year before that. Will he improve his skills. Doubtful at his age. He is a solid player but there are better backmen in the VFL so if we need one why not look at them as well.
Scorps have conceided the least amount of points and he is a vital part in the backline for this... he should of been picked... i saw every practice match, saints intra club (played well in), and seen a few... i dont see what the state squad has anything to do with if u've seen him play and your argument is just that he didnt make the state squad... who cares? he has been great this year and would be a great backman as depth especially now with goose out...

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
mightysainters wrote:yeh he definately should of made the state squad tho... just because he didnt doesnt mean he didn't deserve it....
I think it does. He wasnt rated in the best 3-4 backline KPP in the VFL and they see all clubs not like us who are not comparing him to anyone.
Remember that Silvagni is only 20 years of age.

KP Defenders in the State Squad:
Jarrod Silvester (Richmond Rookie) - 24 years old
Jason Cloke (ex Collingwood player) - 26 years old
Michael Searl (North Ballarat player) - 25 years old

As you can see the KP Defenders selected in the State Squad are all 4-6 years older than Silvagni and would have a lot more experience.

adobe
Club Player

Otiman wrote:Please don't recruit any more VFL grade footballers.

Recruit a decent 17 year old and develop him.
If Silvagni went through the TAC system he would have been drafted he opted to stay in the APS and played in their premiership team. There has not been a forward who has kicked more than one goal on him this season

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

adobe wrote:

If Silvagni went through the TAC system he would have been drafted he opted to stay in the APS and played in their premiership team. There has not been a forward who has kicked more than one goal on him this season
How can you say he would have been drafted. He has now played 3-4 years in the VFL and still hasnt been drafted.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:How can you say he would have been drafted. He has now played 3-4 years in the VFL and still hasnt been drafted.
Agreed, but my position has already been made clear.

I'd rather an unknown kid that could become anything than a known "okay" mature age defender.

The more unknown kids you draft, the more chance you have to find a good one.

If you draft a known quantity, there is little scope for improvement.
Last edited by Otiman on Mon 19 May 2008 9:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

casey scorp
Club Player

iceman wrote:here is one bloke who can step up.
He may have the talent, but unfortunately he can't just step up into the Saints team. We have no hold over him at all, even though he is a member of our aligned VFL team.

We can't elevate a player from a VFL list (unless he is a Saints listed rookie).

If he wants to nominate for the draft he can be taken by any AFL team.

iceman
Club Player

mightysainters wrote:
iceman wrote:Silvagni is a gun footballer and should definately be looked at, Max will probably retire at seasons end and here is one bloke who can step up.

Saying he can't kick is ridiulous because he hits his targets when he has to. Has the speed to play short and the strangth to play tall. Very quick off the mark, but just as impressive closing speed.

I remember reading about him the year Casey signed him, went through the School system as an u/18 which ultimately may have cost him, jury is still out and i know others have been drafted through the school system, but thats just my opinion.
mmm iceman i am a big fan of him... but his kicking is very ordinary.... He does everything right but his kicking skills are quite average.... yer the school system is terrible for an afl prospect... as haileybury have shown...
I would still argue he hits targets when required particularly the first kick out of the backline, the most important one.

savatage
SS Life Member

I was going to post the same topic last week - I think Silvagni would be an excellent choice for the rookie draft. If he was on our rookie list, I'd guess that he'd just about get a game at the moment.

iceman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
adobe wrote:

How can you say he would have been drafted. He has now played 3-4 years in the VFL and still hasnt been drafted.
This is the kids 3rd season in the VFL, started in the VFL 2's kicked 25 odd goals at Full Forward before being swung to Full Back where he has gone from strength to strength. Should be on an AFL list no doubt what soever but of course people have an obsession with the 'unknown quantity of an 18yo' just ask Phil Raymond, Justin Sweeney and so on.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Would he be getting a look in if his name wasn't Silvagni?

Just asking.

iceman
Club Player

Otiman wrote:Would he be getting a look in if his name wasn't Silvagni?

Just asking.
To be honest mate i'm not sure, you wouldn't think that would be a factor. If recruiters looked at it like that they shouldn't be in the job at any level of the game.

savatage
SS Life Member

If that were the case he would've been drafted at 18. I'm basing it on what I've seen of him, he just looks the right size & seems to know how to play the position very well.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
If that were the case he would've been drafted at 18. I'm basing it on what I've seen of him, he just looks the right size & seems to know how to play the position very well.
agree sav and there is no reason not to rookie draft him come end of the season if he keeps this form up. This is the type of player the rookie list is perfect for.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I don't see the VFL, so can't really comment on whether Silvagni has the goods or not.

However, both Geelong and Hawthorn have built the relationship with their VFL teams by letting the players on those teams know they're watching by offering places on the rookie list to players from their teams. Both have had success in this way as well as failures. At worst, it means if you're an undrafted 18 year old, which VFL sides are at the top of your list?

If there's a "maybe" in the Casey side, it may well be worth our time to give them a shot on the rookie list, and look at building the development pipeline.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
adobe
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

There might be better players but they are much older and mature in bodies this guy is only 20

Mooksy
Club Player

Is he related to SOS?

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Yes he is i think maybe nephew... if not cousin...

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Mooksy wrote:Is he related to SOS?
cousin, i believe.

iceman
Club Player

article in the berwick local paper:

http://www.starnewsgroup.com.au/story/58945

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Mooksy wrote:Is he related to SOS?