Why am I so out of sync with the rest of you people???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Loss by less that 10 points is always going to hurt. On the bright side, it was a much mroe exciting game and enthralling contest than I expected... though the ending smarts.

What I'm consoling myself with on Monday morning is that I'd bet if we and Collingwood played the same game 5 times, I'd bet that we win 4 of them. Collingwood are generally less accurate than we are, and if we take away the rushed behinds, they kicked something like 16.4... we seem to have that effect on teams.

Still not thrilled, but the forward structure was the only massive criticism I have of the Saints, and missing Reiwoldt was always going to impact there. Collingwood played a lot better than they have in recent times, and I take a positive that our key mids (Dal, Ball, Hayes) appear to be rounding into some form.

I've had us as a 2nd tier team for more than a month now (blame who or what you will), and that loss re-enforces it, so rather than be too downtrodden about it, I'll take what consolation I can and hope for improvement.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:
berniedquinn wrote:Mav, have you been watching the style of footy we have been playing lately. Finally we played a free flowing game & we saw the best game from our midfield all year. The backline was servicable, but unfortunately our forward line didn't perform. I'd happily take a loss playing an offensive style of footy than take a loss playing that drivel RL has bought with him from over the border.
I trust he is finally listening to popular opinion & pulling the plug on the flood!!!!!!!!!
We still flooded, we still zoned off, we still did not play on and we still had no quality ball through the middle.

The reason the forward line is playing so poorly is because the quality of ball coming in is poorer than any team we have played.

Yes the game was a better standard for a neutral, but for mine, give me a win like Sydney round 1 if it means we win.

Winning is everything for mine, I don't like the game style because I don't think we have enough smart footballers to pull it off.
I think RL has had his chance and will be gone by the end of 09, almost no doubt. He is a dud, and cannot coach. He has no personality, and Ill be buggered if I can imagine him inspiring any player. His game plan is ridiculous and went out of workable style 2-3 years ago.

RL confirmed all this to me when he made that brain dead comment about 10-12 goals being what was required to win, accounting for the opp scoring less. Just lunacy.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Ross Lyon might indeed be a terrible coach, as the evidence suggests.

But he also has one of the worst lists in the league to work with.

It's the opposite of 2004, when everything came together for a perfect storm. Now everything is coming together for a perfect implosion.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

brown-coat wrote:Ross Lyon might indeed be a terrible coach, as the evidence suggests.

But he also has one of the worst lists in the league to work with.

It's the opposite of 2004, when everything came together for a perfect storm. Now everything is coming together for a perfect implosion.

What is undisputable though, is he had WAY more true talent to work with than any other new coach that gets appointed. When was the last time a new coach was appointed to a team that was coming off back to back finals series? Im convinced he is a total dud. Sorry.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Yeah I am very impressed with another loss to a team I just don't rate.

What a ripper effort.

But don't despair as we are now sitting 9th as opposed to 12th at the same time last year, with a percentage of just under 1% less than the same time.

So we are on track, actually slightly ahead sort of, of last years blistering result.

I love accepting mediocrity.

Because I'm obviously used to it.
I know. Exciting times ahead.

I said we'd learn a lot about our club on Friday night. I was right. A few good players, a few good patches, etc...

But ultimately not up to it.

I appreciate some people need to be gung-ho about the future and the team, and that is something they'll continue right up until we get knocked out in the first week of the finals - if we even get there.

At that point, those of us who say '8th isn't good enough' will be derided for not adopting the 'there's always next year!' approach.

I'm over it. I want to win. You don't win games of footy by playing crap, selecting unskilled players and avoiding the opportunities that come your way.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

well I think he has a very good list.

I think its chronically underperforming.

Im thinking the last time we had close to 22 contributors was against sydney.

frankly if we beat collingwood it would have been just on the back of about 8 to 10 players, but even then with the exception of ball, hayes, and 1 or 2 others, the rest were individual efforts, not team efforts.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:I think its chronically underperforming.
Let's pause the tape right there and throw this out to everyone.

Why?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:

Why?
Because its being asked to play in a way which is totally counter active to the way most footballers play football, i.e on INSTINCT. Not to say that there should be all blazing and no thinking, but the balance is way out of kilter at St.Kilda.

The top 3 teams all play exciting free flowing high scoring football. Funny that.

If I was a St.Kilda player I would be bloody dismayed and pissed off that I had to conform to a gamestyle such as RL's. To me it would be counter intuitive to how I WAS playing my footy up until that stage (including from my junior days).

I would see the total breakdown of the team structure on the ground, and I may well just go into self preservation mode. You know, might be unprofessional of me, but hell, I got a career to try and further and this team aint going nowhere playing like this. Besides Im confused, this gameplan is hard to follow and no one is getting a grip on it so we cant help each other out much.

I know no coach is around forever, many not for that long at all, so I guess I just try and right this out and in a way, to hell with the gameplan, Ill play to it where I can, but I just got make sure my performances are up and I should be ok.

Its not like I dont care about the team etc., but this is not how we HAD some success in recent years, and its not condusive to alot of my team mates the way I know they can play.

Maybe a touch of that sort of thing going on I reckon. They are only human, I dont blam em.

rexy
SS Life Member

iwantmeseats wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Why?
Because its being asked to play in a way which is totally counter active to the way most footballers play football, i.e on INSTINCT. Not to say that there should be all blazing and no thinking, but the balance is way out of kilter at St.Kilda.

The top 3 teams all play exciting free flowing high scoring football. Funny that.

If I was a St.Kilda player I would be bloody dismayed and pissed off that I had to conform to a gamestyle such as RL's. To me it would be counter intuitive to how I WAS playing my footy up until that stage (including from my junior days).

I would see the total breakdown of the team structure on the ground, and I may well just go into self preservation mode. You know, might be unprofessional of me, but hell, I got a career to try and further and this team aint going nowhere playing like this. Besides Im confused, this gameplan is hard to follow and no one is getting a grip on it so we cant help each other out much.

I know no coach is around forever, many not for that long at all, so I guess I just try and right this out and in a way, to hell with the gameplan, Ill play to it where I can, but I just got make sure my performances are up and I should be ok.

Its not like I dont care about the team etc., but this is not how we HAD some success in recent years, and its not condusive to alot of my team mates the way I know they can play.

Maybe a touch of that sort of thing going on I reckon. They are only human, I dont blam em.
Very well thought out post IMO, I have said before that the senior coach must be questioning himself and what impact he is having on the performance of the list. Some on here would have you beleive that we are just not good enough, I dont buy it, not saying we should win the flag but I beleive that we should have 22 competitive guys every week and we should be in every game, I dont mind being beaten but I dont like to lose. If the coach thinks the list is not good enough he should say so, then the board can make a decision on whether they support him through a rebuild or make way for someone who beleives in the list. If he does beleive in the list then he must ask why he cannot get the best out of it. Is it him, the assistant coaches, the ex coach or senior players destabilising his plans? Its his job to find out and react.

Maybe this year?
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

geee..... some of you guys are in la la land.......

to think the coach doesn't want to play hard running and attacking footy.... haven't you seen how they run out and play the 1st qtr 9 times out of 10.... hard, aggressive, (call it bloody "GT" footy if you want), accountable, exciting, attacking footy.....

YES... the game plan has changed...... YES.... some of our players have taken time to adapt (and are still adapting)...... YES.... this adaptation (god, i'm in Year 12 biology again) has resulted in some loss of confidence...... YES.... a loss of confidence breeds indecision..... YES.... indecision can be seen as procastination...... YES.... prcastination leads to 15m chip kicks sideways.....

BUT......

Surely you people have seen positive progress in the past 2 weeks???

Or perhaps I should just tottle off back to Mars...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Collingwood played their best footy for the season,
Please tell me u r not serious????

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:
You'd wanna improve on that showing NEXT Friday Night I'd think :-)

Nice to meet you btw..always best BEFORE the game eh???:-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
rexy
SS Life Member

Seaford_Saint wrote:geee..... some of you guys are in la la land.......

to think the coach doesn't want to play hard running and attacking footy.... haven't you seen how they run out and play the 1st qtr 9 times out of 10.... hard, aggressive, (call it bloody "GT" footy if you want), accountable, exciting, attacking footy.....

YES... the game plan has changed...... YES.... some of our players have taken time to adapt (and are still adapting)...... YES.... this adaptation (god, i'm in Year 12 biology again) has resulted in some loss of confidence...... YES.... a loss of confidence breeds indecision..... YES.... indecision can be seen as procastination...... YES.... prcastination leads to 15m chip kicks sideways.....

BUT......

I have seen a lift from our best players, but I have not seen progress from our lesser players. IMO the gap between our best and worst 10 is widening as the same guys try even harder to carry the side. The same guys feeling that we must be better, try harder etc and the same guys going for the ride.

Maybe this year?
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

after one of your 'late night intoxicated replies' to a post of myn last year.... i don't profess to try and communicate with you on any level....

over and out.... don't even bother trying to dig for a response, as you won't be receiving one.... but by all means, stoop to low foul mouthed levels like last time if it makes you feel better.....

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
You'd wanna improve on that showing NEXT Friday Night I'd think :-)

Nice to meet you btw..always best BEFORE the game eh???:-)
Most definately want to improve.....gawd I would be happy if we were within 5 goals at games end. Any win against the Saints is a massive wn as far as I am concerned and to be honest lucky we got u with a few injuries Rooey, Baker, X. Clarke, etc. Great game though and yes great to catch up. Think we have u guys again later on in the year so if we do we will make a better fist of catching up.

Thanks guys...... :D

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:geee..... some of you guys are in la la land.......

BUT......

I wish I was living in la-la-land – it would take some of the pain away right now.

I don’t see huge positives in us beating Richmond by 3 points and losing to Collingwood by 9.

Had both of those teams marked in for bottom 8 at the start of the year and had both of them marked in as percentage boosters for us.

So no, no big positives for me there.

As for the Premiership 1st Quarters we’re playing, they are exciting to watch at the time, but I’m sure a massive amount of supporters are like me now, saying to myself “don’t get excited, it’s just our brilliant first quarterâ€

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

[/quote]

As for the Premiership 1st Quarters we’re playing, they are exciting to watch at the time, but I’m sure a massive amount of supporters are like me now, saying to myself “don’t get excited, it’s just our brilliant first quarterâ€

rexy
SS Life Member

Exactly right Ice, if one of your children is not responding to a parenting technique then a good parent will alter the technique to find a way through to the child.

Coaching is the same, The definition of stupidity is to keep giving the same message but to expect a different outcome.

Maybe this year?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Exactly right Ice, if one of your children is not responding to a parenting technique then a good parent will alter the technique to find a way through to the child.

Coaching is the same, The definition of stupidity is to keep giving the same message but to expect a different outcome.
Good parenting also includes consistency of message. Chopping and changing delivery can only cause to add to confusion IF thats the problem here and not simply skill levels aka players who cant kick a ball through the 2 long white posts from 25 out......VERY OFTEN.

“Yeah….nah””
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Seaford_Saint"][/quote]