G-Train retired??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The GTrain is gone I am afraid.

Ignore the sloppy passes ....though some where perfect....he had hands to a number of possible marks but could not haul in all thos he should.

However even more telling was wen the ball hit the ground. GTrain used to be quite good here....and could gather and kick goals.

Tonight each time he just fumbled. One was an absolute sitter for goal....which was spilt and the ball then run down for a Pies goal.

Time to look at other options and get some games into them.

They may or may not be better than GTrain now....but they will be on the incline, whereas Gtrain I am afraid will only get worse.

He may if kept still get an occassional bag....but in all the other games he will be a liability.

GTrain has been a great servant...but the reality is that he is not what he was....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
chook23
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:F*** me dead, Im sick of hearing, Gehrig is finished, the game has passed him, blah blah blah.

Bulls$ite...!!

If Ross implements a fast ATTACKING gamestyle, where the forwards could lead into a OPEN forward line, where the kicks were to the FAT side, then he would be kicking a crapload of goals.

Doesn't anyone remember the quiet games G-train had in the 04,05,06 years when other teams "flooded" back. Take a look at the games where he bagged 5+ goals, checked how many were on a lead and get back to me.

Pitty our coach cannot see it, yet others can.
disagree

think you are in denial

not as simplistic as that........

what about when opposition in possession...........they are just running off him.....

also dropping what marks he is getting to because his hands are r....sh.t with arthritis etc

saint4life
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Just listened to the replay of the Ross Lyon Interview on SEN.

They said they are sitting down during the week and discussing it.

His bodies falling apart, sad end it seems.

Godspeed big fella.

Richter
SS Life Member

Yep.

Sad to say but the big fella won't play AFL football again. The images of him on the pine in the second half said it all.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

I like your stuff, Richter, but who is Jarryd Geary?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:would be a shame

Ross is to blame in my opinion
Apt name for you

Another opportunity awaits!
JeffDunne

Don't worry guys.

This is the superior list management the club was lacking.

World's best practice . . . or something like that. :roll:

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Gs on Before the Game tonight, expect him to give some hints

Before Im 85
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

Sam Edmund - Herald Sun wrote: ST KILDA forward Fraser Gehrig's stuttering comeback hangs by a thread after another miserable performance against Collingwood.

Saints coach Ross Lyon last night admitted Gehrig's form was "clearly as issue" after the embattled forward managed just one goal from three kicks in the narrow loss to the Magpies.

Lyon said he would sit down with the 32-year-old this week as debate continues to rage on whether St Kilda and Gehrig got it right by reversing the retirement decision he made last year.

"It's a concern, clearly it's a concern," Lyon said.

"He'll be dissappointed. His body is not what it was, really. It's frightening what can happen in six months. He's a really proud competitor but his hands have been worrying him and he struggled to glove it a bit tonight.

"I feel I've given Fraser every opportunity over the last few weeks which really I didn't feel after the Geelong game that I'd done and it's important that's been done.

"So we'll assess his body and his mind but ultimately it's what's best for St Kilda.

"At 4-4, we've got some youth to come in. We need to put the measuring tape over a few guys.

That's my take on it."

Lyon said no one could question Gehrig's hunger to play, but conceded time may have caught up with him.

"He's a really hard trainer but, I mean, father-time catches up with you," he said.

"Hindsight is a wonderful thing but he was really keen (to play) and trained really well over summer.

"We'll respect Fraser, he's been a wonderful contributor to St Kilda. I'll sit down with him during the week but clearly it's an issue, it's on the agenda."

Lyon praised the performance of Luke Ball, who returned to form in stunning fashion, racking up 30 possessions and laying eight tackles.

His dominance, along with Nick Dal Santo (28 touches) and Lenny Hayes (27) saw St Kilda smash Collingwood in the centre bounce clearances 16-6.

But Lyon said it was a case of missed chances.

"Centre bounce clearances are important but they're not the be-all and end-all," he said.

"We thought it was a game of opportunites. They took some opportunities, they probably pressured a bit better than us in the second half.

"Even late I thought we had some opportunities to kick (goals) running in, so it was a really fine line I thought," Lyon said.

Newman
Club Player

Sad if true. Saw him in lasg game of 2007 - such a fairy tale ending to a career. I say - what the heck - if he is going to retire - play him in the Melb game in 2 weeks time as his 'farewell match'. Nothing to lose.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Newman wrote:Sad if true. Saw him in lasg game of 2007 - such a fairy tale ending to a career. I say - what the heck - if he is going to retire - play him in the Melb game in 2 weeks time as his 'farewell match'. Nothing to lose.
I dont think he would want a token game. Already said goodbye once.

groupie1
Club Player

Gehrig kicked one goal, missed another he should have kicked, handballed off for two others (Dal and Milne from memory), and took a tall defender.
Delivery to him was rubbish.
KOZI kicked one
CLOKE kicked none
ROCCA kicked one

G's hands are a bit more fumbly, he seems a bit tentative, but on tonight's efforts - in about half a game played - he was the best forward on the ground.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:Gehrig kicked one goal, missed another he should have kicked, handballed off for two others (Dal and Milne from memory), and took a tall defender.
Delivery to him was rubbish.
KOZI kicked one
CLOKE kicked none
ROCCA kicked one

G's hands are a bit more fumbly, he seems a bit tentative, but on tonight's efforts - in about half a game played - he was the best forward on the ground.
Doesnt sound like RL agrees with you.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

Sam Edmund - Herald Sun wrote:
"At 4-4, we've got some youth to come in. We need to put the measuring tape over a few guys.

That's my take on it."
well well well, youth huh.....bout friggin time

groupie1
Club Player

he doesn't

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga