what is the best game you have ever attended?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 8:31am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Re: what is the best game you have ever attended?

danners wrote:by far for me, the 1997 prelim final

beating north in the mud at the mcg. i only have vague memories because i was only 9 at the time but im pretty sure it will be the best game i will ever go to.
+1

Huzzad
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:saint edward, there was another game at the SCG shortly after where we won by over 100 points... but not nearly as good as 97.
Remember watching that on Telly. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
JeffDunne

The 1991 Elimination final against Geelong is probably the best game I can remember . . . when we lost.

If you haven't seen it, get a tape, it's a classic.

The two games against Collingwood in '92 were pretty good too - and we won those. Who could forget that one point win over the Pies at a packed MCG? Actually the final against Footscray that year probably deserves a mention in the "worst" thread.

The last game at Vic Park was a ripper too. The famous "Winmar" game. Actually it should be remembered as the "Winmar/McAdam" game. Both were truely awesome in that game.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

1997 prelim vs north is my best.

and being at vic park in 93 to see us beat the pies there was fantastic too.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

1989 v Carlton at Moorabbin. Plugger booted 10 and we won by 4 points from memory. Banger played that day too.

starsign
Club Player

66 Grand Final no question!

Posted a bit of this B4, but its worth repeating for those who think they are long suffering Sainters...

I was 21 and went with my Dad who was 58
Didn't give us much of a show at 3/4 time with a lead of only 13 points and the Pies had the seemingly increasing wind in the last
Well when the siren went pademonium broke loose , 'cos apart from the Pie fans EVERYONE else at the G ws baracking for us! They recon it was the most emotional GF ever , and you could feel it!

My Dad gave me the biggest hug and nearly busted a coupla ribs , and it was then I noticed he was actually crying. Never ever saw the old Digger cry before or ever again, and he passed away at 85!
I said Normie your crying and he said "yeah I only wish my Dad hadda lived to see this"!
And here's the rub long suffering sainters....my Grandfather an avid fan had a grocers shop in Prahran not far from the Juction oval and died at 94 never ever seeing them win a flag!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:
aussierules0k wrote:Massive 40? point comeback V the Swines at SCG. cira... 1996? Anyhow at 3/4time the score board said... (para phrase) "all that's left is x, y and z to make the finals". They had enjoyed a history breaking winning streak at the SCG. Beating us was a formality and at 3/4 time it was on the cards.

Last Q, our boys smashed them. Aussie Jones stabbing a goal right on the line was memorable. Close eyes.... yep, I can still see it now... :)

Afterwards they played the Sydney song... :) ooops, then Oh When came on. All in all a marvellous afternoon.

That game was in '97 and was part of our streak.

Yep, remember aussie's goal. Bandadged head, just chasing the ball the whole way to the line and fell over he was so tired and the sydney s**theads (on the ground and off it) were screaming at the goal umpire about it not being a goal and all i could say was "if you cant see on straight in front, get out of the ground".

Agree mate.... great day :D
Anyone who was there in 66 must say that, but the above game, which I also attended was fantastic as well. Two reasons, it was interstate and second, it was a comeback although only 16 at three quarter time. I imagine that anyone who attended the same venue three years earlier when we were 38 points down at three quarter time and then subsequently 48 points before coming back would say that was a pretty good win. Only saw it on replay - it was Mothers Day.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:The 1991 Elimination final against Geelong is probably the best game I can remember . . . when we lost.

The two games against Collingwood in '92 were pretty good too - and we won those. Who could forget that one point win over the Pies at a packed MCG? Actually the final against Footscray that year probably deserves a mention in the "worst" thread.

The last game at Vic Park was a ripper too. The famous "Winmar" game. Actually it should be remembered as the "Winmar/McAdam" game. Both were truely awesome in that game.
Seriously thats your favourite game? I was at that game and hated it. They knocked out my favourite player at the time David Grant, also Burkie, who had to wear a helmet after that and I think there was someone else knocked out too. Just so disappointing. Did you like it because it was our first final in so long?

Qld Saints Supporter Group
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:The 1991 Elimination final against Geelong is probably the best game I can remember . . . when we lost.

Seriously thats your favourite game? I was at that game and hated it. They knocked out my favourite player at the time David Grant, also Burkie, who had to wear a helmet after that and I think there was someone else knocked out too. Just so disappointing. Did you like it because it was our first final in so long?

Best quality game I've ever seen,not my favourite,but best I've seen.
Beautiful spring day,not a cloud in the sky.The noise from the crowd was something I had not yet witnessed. Lockett virtually destroyed them,especially in the 2nd with 5 goals. Really could of almost put it beyond them in the first the big man but think he kicked 1.3 or 1.4 in the first quarter? All easy shots too. Admits himself the nerves got to him.

Hocking and Brownless killed us,Billy kicked 8.Ablett played the thug role as he couldn't get a touch,probably proved to be the match winner for them illegally,disposing of Burke and Grant,it was a final however,that's what was needed to win them those days. Don't think we had the self belief to finish them off that day,we were oh so close!

Prodgers
Club Player

Best games i've attended...

97 prelim final against North. Was only a young fella at the time but remember it pretty well.

04 vs Brisbane when Schwarta kicked that massive long bomb, never been in a crowd thats gone off so much, was so happy that day haha.

JeffDunne

Saint Bev wrote:

I hated the result but not the game itself.

Pretty much what jonesy said, it was football at it's purest.

TBH I'd prefer to sit through a loss like that than some of the wins we have these days.

RH35
Club Player

Little Dozer wrote:1989 v Carlton at Moorabbin. Plugger booted 10 and we won by 4 points from memory. Banger played that day too.
Couldn't agree more. Plugger kicked 10 on Silvagni, was our second win from 2, we slipped behind with a few minutes to go and Jason Daniels cleared a 30 meter handball to Winmar who somehow found Lockett with a 45 meter pass despite Lockett being behind Silvagni on the lead. Plugger kicked a difficult goal and we got home. I was a 12 yo sitting behind amongst the Carlton cheersquad and thought for sure I would be killed but some rabid Saints fans standing on a slab of VB came to my rescue. May have been the greatest day of my life to that point!

JeffDunne

I must admit the last game at Moorabbin was a favourite (even though I had mixed feelings at the time).

Not because of the football but because of the atmosphere.

Certainly was a memorable day.

gooner
Club Player

Ok bit of an odd one this. I'm a London boy, I only moved here in 03 but have been into AFL ever since first coming here in 95.
My first Saints game was at TD in 03 when we beat the Lions by a kick. We were an ordinary side then, just about to rise, they were 2 year, about to be 3 year premiers. At half time we were up by 20 odd points and I remember everyone walking around in a daze not believing we could do it.
Will never forget the look on the player's faces when the siren went a half second before Luke Power marked in the forward 50. Amazing.
I realised then that I was home.

Obviously been brought down to earth a fair bit since then but what ya gonna do, support Collingwood?

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
starsign
Club Player

The two games against Collingwood in '92 were pretty good too - and we won those. Who could forget that one point win over the Pies at a packed MCG?
Yep that game at the G was sensational... and 1 point again after being there in 66! Dined out on it for the rest of the season
Thats the way to beat the Pies ... one point ....it kills them LOL
(either that or anhilate them not sure which is the better) and 1 point will do tonight, though my hearts not as good as it was back then!
Starting to thump now at the mere thought of it!

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

RH35 wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:1989 v Carlton at Moorabbin. Plugger booted 10 and we won by 4 points from memory. Banger played that day too.
Couldn't agree more. Plugger kicked 10 on Silvagni, was our second win from 2, we slipped behind with a few minutes to go and Jason Daniels cleared a 30 meter handball to Winmar who somehow found Lockett with a 45 meter pass despite Lockett being behind Silvagni on the lead. Plugger kicked a difficult goal and we got home. I was a 12 yo sitting behind amongst the Carlton cheersquad and thought for sure I would be killed but some rabid Saints fans standing on a slab of VB came to my rescue. May have been the greatest day of my life to that point!
Oh yes, that was a cracker of a game. Also there, everyone went nuts. Must have replayed that passage of play a thousand times. Still have the tape. :lol:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Any game we beat Collingwood is always good.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

My best game was round 10 2002 against the West Coast Eagles.

I've since seen many others and better games but this was special to me coz it was my 1st.

We had a great win that weekend it was a sunday and i remember we kicked like 12 straight before our 1st point and boy did the boo's go around after the point haha.

Everybody remember there 1st live game, did u see a win?

On a side note there was 19 000 there and i got walk up tickets at the gate and got level 1 on the wing haha don't think i could ever do that again.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time