I noticed that....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: I noticed that....

rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Nobody on here seemed to mention that GT on SEN monday morning revealed that he used.....wait for it......

Robert Walls

as his mentor early on in his coaching career.

Apparently he didn't flick him because he was no good, but because Throbbie was also "mentoring" other AFL coaches.

I found that fact very revealing considering the vitriol and hate the Grant Thomas fans have for Throbbie.

The usual suspects like mischa and St. Kunny the substance abuser have been very outspoken in their condemnation of Mr Throbbie, but suddenly it has been revealed that their idol used the man to teach him how to coach :lol: :lol:

Oh dear....what have the GT doll worshippers have to say about this startling piece of info???

Oh GT has gone - move on :wink:
You did say 'early on' theough didn't you?

How was GT's record early on?
Not as good as Ross Lyon's.

I find this almost universal condemnation of Walls quite fascinating. If you put aside MisKa's obvious hatred for anything he thinks/says and does, it would seem that the generally accepted view of Walls on here is the opposite of the view held by people in the 'football world'.
He is a colimnist for The Age, a 'special comments' person for Ch 10, a member of the 'On the Couch' panel on Foxtel and has been involved in at least 2 sub-committees to select a coach (Saints and Western Bulldogs).

It appears that quite a number of people involved in areas other than 'barracking' in the football world value his opinion.

JeffDunne

They value the negative responses he generates.

I guess we should value Neil Mitchell's & Derryn Hinch's opinion too? :roll:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

You did say 'early on' though didn't you?

Unlike you to knock GT Rodge. So let me come to GT's defence :wink:

How was GT's record early on????

Well if you only look at win loss ratios for how a coach is going you might say badly.

BUT if you look at the real indicators GT was in overall terms going well early on.

**Draft and trades picks were by and large good (became DISMAL late in his stint..)

A coach has to build a good list..and early on performance was on the whole good relative to the value expended.

GOOD

** Gameplan. With Bundy the decision was made to mimic the Lions game plan ....and early on this paid dividends though not in terms of won games initially till all was in place... (...till opposition coaches started to counter how we played..but this was after early on).

GOOD

** Match day coaching. Always up and down.

PASS

**Player development. Never good.

FAIL

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Boppa
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Nobody on here seemed to mention that GT on SEN monday morning revealed that he used.....wait for it......

Robert Walls

Apparently he didn't flick him because he was no good, but because Throbbie was also "mentoring" other AFL coaches.

I found that fact very revealing considering the vitriol and hate the Grant Thomas fans have for Throbbie.

The usual suspects like mischa and St. Kunny the substance abuser have been very outspoken in their condemnation of Mr Throbbie, but suddenly it has been revealed that their idol used the man to teach him how to coach :lol: :lol:

Oh dear....what have the GT doll worshippers have to say about this startling piece of info???

The same as his record when he finished, FLAGLESS

Like it or not Boppa speaks the truth
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

mischa wrote: GT is a class act
good golly, i have just choked on my fruit loops :roll: :roll:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 8:36am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Boppa wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Robert Walls

The same as his record when he finished, FLAGLESS
And there you have it folks, one of those moments in time when threads get hijacked and end up on the scrap heap.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Wed 14 May 2008 1:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:[
** Gameplan. With Bundy the decision was made to mimic the Lions game plan ....

Don't know where you got your mail on that one - cause it's a lie.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

I heard GT say on a number of occassions that we were trying to follow the Lions gameplan in 2002/2003 because they were the succesful side of that time.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

I heard GT say on a number of occassions that we were trying to follow the Lions gameplan in 2002/2003 because they were the succesful side of that time.
Are you sure Mr Magic??

What actually happened, is that we looked at the areas the successful teams of the past decade or so excelled in.

Then, we made those areas our 'KPIs' as we called them. Contested footy, tackles, 1%ers, long kicks etc. were these areas.

The only reason Brisbane were even mentioned as a blueprint, is because they won 3 of the flags during the timeframe we were studying.

It's a myth that we copied Brisbane.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

What actually happened, is that we looked at the areas the successful teams of the past decade or so excelled in.

Then, we made those areas our 'KPIs' as we called them. Contested footy, tackles, 1%ers, long kicks etc. were these areas.

The only reason Brisbane were even mentioned as a blueprint, is because they won 3 of the flags during the timeframe we were studying.

So we mimicked them.

Then when we played against good teams that no longer were playing the way they did against the mimicked teams we came to grief.

When you copy...you come unstuck when others evolve and you do not.

All the KPI's and GT management speak counted for squat when the long kicks etc went to flooded areas and got rebounded for goals quicker than GT could say what KPI was that???

Saints43
Club Player

Just so this thread has something to do with the last five years...

How would everyone rate these KPIs at the moment?:

**Draft and trades picks

** Gameplan.

** Match day coaching.

**Player development

Boppa
Club Player

GT has said himself that we modelled our game on that of the successful Brisbane sides of 2001-2003 yet Roger says
Amazing :oops: :oops:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:Just so this thread has something to do with the last five years...

**Draft and trades picks

** Gameplan.

** Match day coaching.

**Player development
Excellent. Overall while some are not convinced aboyut the number of players from other clubs they have been obatained effectively for only picks 26 and 43 (and Clarke in the PSD..which is not worth much).

Selection wise...only really the Howard pick would look to be odd...and perhaps the re-drafting of GTrain (though witha late pick).

Rookie wise we are way way in front.

No one gets every pick right but overall the last two years would seem to havea good return and also importantly it is evident that many built up flaws in the list are being addressed...or at least as many as one could hope to ina two year period.

Fair (Remember that there is an offensive and a defensive aspect now. Our defensive aspect when the opostion has the ball is working weel. Our offensive aspect is not working well often enough at present.

Needs Improvement
Too many players are not playing as well as they need to.

Good
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 14 May 2008 1:55pm, edited 2 times in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Boppa wrote:GT has said himself that we modelled our game on that of the successful Brisbane sides of 2001-2003 yet Roger says
GT must bea liar then...according to Rodger...

Saints43
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
Saints43 wrote:Just so this thread has something to do with the last five years...

**Draft and trades picks

** Gameplan.

** Match day coaching.

**Player development
Excellent

Fair (Remember that there is an offensive and a defensive aspect now. Our defensive aspect when the opostion has the ball is working weel. Our offensive aspect is not working well often enough at present.

Needs Improvement

Good
**Draft and trades picks

I wouldn't rate trade and draft picks as excellent. I think we have done well trading but I wouldn't say any of our draft picks in the last two drafts have been any thing better than GOOD. Of course most haven't played yet.

** Gameplan.

Until the gameplan has us dominating teams rather than pipping them at the post/hanging on I would say POOR. I'm not even sure that we work better defensively - our percentage would not suggest it.

** Match day coaching.

I'm not sure about this one. I really don't think any coach has a 'Plan B' - except for 'go for broke' - I reckon 95% of it happens Monday to Thursday. I'll say 'FAIR'.

**Player development

Not too many of our draft picks from the last two drafts are playing regularly. Had some injuries. The best you could rate this - assuming we have picked up players with the potential to play senior footy - would be FAIR.

IMO.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:

**Player development

Not too many of our draft picks from the last two drafts are playing regularly. Had some injuries. The best you could rate this - assuming we have picked up players with the potential to play senior footy - would be FAIR.

IMO.
2 rookies elevated...and it would have been 3, but for Attard's injury.

Casey was a mess..and has now been rectified. This will start producing better results.

Boppa
Club Player

How would you rate our draft picks then from the 2 drafts before that. Remembering that they are in their 3rd and 4th years, you would have to rate that abysmal surely.
McQualter- Delisted, now a rookie
Ackland- Now at Carlton
McGough- Gone
Gwilt- Just hanging on, hasn't shown much
Gilbert- Potential
Rix- Battler, depth only
Raymond- Gone
Sweeney- Gone
Watts- Used first round draft pick and recieved the pricely sum of 1 game.
Those 3rd to 4th year players that we haven't produced are costing us now. We should be seeing at least 4 of them in our starting 22 but from that list Gilbert is the only one that looks likely.
The last 2 drafts it may be a little too early to judge, but Armitage definitely looks like a player, Allen and McEvoy seem to be coming along quite nicely and young Jack Steven (bottom aged recruit) is showing alot of promise. From a drafting perspective it's certainly looking alot more successful than the debacle of the drafts 3 and 4 years ago

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

So we mimicked them.

Then when we played against good teams that no longer were playing the way they did against the mimicked teams we came to grief.

When you copy...you come unstuck when others evolve and you do not.

All the KPI's and GT management speak counted for squat when the long kicks etc went to flooded areas and got rebounded for goals quicker than GT could say what KPI was that???
Not sure why you are trying to turn this into a 'GT was no good' debate.

I'm pretty sure that's been done before.

All I'm saying is, that we (the football dept. at the time) didn't mimick or copy Brisbane directly.

We tried to be good at the areas they were good at, and all other successful teams of recent times too.

You either lied again, or whoever told you we copied Brisbane lied to you.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

**Player development

IMO.

Casey was a mess..and has now been rectified. This will start producing better results.
Does 'elevated' really mean much when you're barely getting a game in a non-finals team that has a huge injury list?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Boppa wrote:GT has said himself that we modelled our game on that of the successful Brisbane sides of 2001-2003 yet Roger says
GT must bea liar then...according to Rodger...
If he has said several times that we copied tried to simply copy Brisbane, then yes, he is a liar.

But you'll find that he hasn't actually said that.

Pretty similar to the one where he supposedly said he doesn't rate ruckmen.

Saints43
Club Player

Dunno Boppa. Looked at the last two seasons.
I'm starting to wondering if it's the 'GT lovers' who keep brining him up.

Anyway, We would have promoted Attard, we promoted Jones - I wouldn't staple that to my resume. Is Geary the other? He looks to have a bit about him. I'm still not as happy with drafting as you. But there you go...

Boppa
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

**Player development

IMO.

Does 'elevated' really mean much when you're barely getting a game in a non-finals team that has a huge injury list?
That just shows you how bad the recruiting was the last few years under Grant. With all the injuries we had, we still didn't blood any young kids. Pretty much says it all

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Boppa wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

**Player development

IMO.

That just shows you how bad the recruiting was the last few years under Grant. With all the injuries we had, we still didn't blood any young kids. Pretty much says it all
Says it all?

How does that relate to Robert Walls being his mentor?

Or did I accidentally click on the wrong thread??

Boppa
Club Player

Saints43 wrote:Dunno Boppa. Looked at the last two seasons.
I'm starting to wondering if it's the 'GT lovers' who keep brining him up.

Anyway, We would have promoted Attard, we promoted Jones - I wouldn't staple that to my resume. Is Geary the other? He looks to have a bit about him. I'm still not as happy with drafting as you. But there you go...
I'm definitely not saying our drafting in the last 2 years has been excellent, way too early to judge, but there are definitely a few that look promising IMO