Commitment Supporters V Players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Shaggy wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:Thank goodness its not just me you all see my point. I just wish 40 of us die hard supporters had the talent to be out there with the way we feel about this club that is lacking in a lot of players im sure it would make a significant difference. :evil:
Unless the 40 die hard supporters had earned/are earning a reputation similar to a Banger or Burkie (in terms of tenancity) at what ever level of footy they played/play than I would respectfully suggest that they are more talk / less action.

maybe that passion for the club that we are talking about is what earnt them that reputation which is the whole point.
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Tue 13 May 2008 5:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaggy
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote:
Shaggy wrote:I must be missing some thing but this thread is absolute nonsense. It is ludicrous to suggest that players don't want to win as much supporters.

But just because they have the desire to win doesn't give them an advantage because every team and player wants to win.

Unlike us the players are at a disadvantage to show how much the loss /or their game may have upset them because they cannot go into melt down for the next week like we do :D .
Im sorry but i think you just want to believe that . How many players that have retired that have played for us at any length are still as fanatical as us? I know of lots of retired players who really couldnt give a rats arse what happens now . Anyone have Tony Locketts ph number to get the figures started ?
Its not something I want to believe. I just don't doubt it in the first place.

I really find it unbelievable you consider you would be more desperate on the footy field than the players themselves.

As for Plugger he may now blame us for the Shite he used to cop in Melbourne but I don't doubt that Plugger loved the club and gave it his all during his time with us.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Shaggy wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
Shaggy wrote:I must be missing some thing but this thread is absolute nonsense. It is ludicrous to suggest that players don't want to win as much supporters.

But just because they have the desire to win doesn't give them an advantage because every team and player wants to win.

Unlike us the players are at a disadvantage to show how much the loss /or their game may have upset them because they cannot go into melt down for the next week like we do :D .
Im sorry but i think you just want to believe that . How many players that have retired that have played for us at any length are still as fanatical as us? I know of lots of retired players who really couldnt give a rats arse what happens now . Anyone have Tony Locketts ph number to get the figures started ?

I really find it unbelievable you consider you would be more desperate on the footy field than the players themselves.

As for Plugger he may now blame us for the Shite he used to cop in Melbourne but I don't doubt that Plugger loved the club and gave it his all during his time with us.
No they can still be desperate for being professional, fear of being dropped ,pride etc but still lack the passion and love for the club we have that may be an ingredient to getting something extra out of themselves like a Harvey and Bourke . and as for Lockett your just confirming the point with one player as an example .Do you think hes the only one? Ok i believe Milne and Hudgeton are quite passionate about the st kilda football club and our vision as well when they go out to play but how about say Michael Gardiner and King?

esaint66
SS Life Member

brown-coat wrote:Saturday Afternoon Fever should be compulsory reading for players drafted at stkilda. After reading they must write a 3000 word report on the meaning of being a stkilda player and what their goddamn mission is in life. To win a f****** flag bitches.

Agree 100%.
Good book full of passion, pride and guts. Something that you have to often wonder whether the players have most of the time out there on the ground.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

saint edward wrote:
brown-coat wrote:Saturday Afternoon Fever should be compulsory reading for players drafted at stkilda. After reading they must write a 3000 word report on the meaning of being a stkilda player and what their goddamn mission is in life. To win a f****** flag bitches.

Agree 100%.
Good book full of passion, pride and guts. Something that you have to often wonder whether the players have most of the time out there on the ground.
Yeah i think ur right the players have no pride or passion in there performance or for the colurs :roll:

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

How many supporters do u think we have that have the commitment to get up early mornings in the winter and go for 6am swims in the bay or go to training and run laps after laps.

The players have no commitment at all and are just there for the paycheck us supporters are the only 1's who hurt :roll:

esaint66
SS Life Member

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:
saint edward wrote:

Agree 100%.
Yeah i think ur right the players have no pride or passion in there performance or for the colurs :roll:

I didnt say they had no passion etc i just said you have to wonder if they are 100% commited 100% of the time.

I know they have it most of the time, but there are times when we are uncertain and we cant be aware of the thoughts we habve to just judge their actions.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

interesting side story I heard on radio last night ( SEN)

some years ago a player was selected to play for an adelaide based team- on the drive over he stopped and bought a lotto ticket- Won $800,000 and never arrived at the club- never played high level football again
- obviously no passion for the game.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
esaint66
SS Life Member

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:How many supporters do u think we have that have the commitment to get up early mornings in the winter and go for 6am swims in the bay or go to training and run laps after laps.

The players have no commitment at all and are just there for the paycheck us supporters are the only 1's who hurt :roll:

I would definately be that commited.

1. I'm red, white and black do or die.
2. It keeps you fit.
3. I'd be living my dream.

4. To get out of school. :lol: :lol:

esaint66
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:interesting side story I heard on radio last night ( SEN)

some years ago a player was selected to play for an adelaide based team- on the drive over he stopped and bought a lotto ticket- Won $800,000 and never arrived at the club- never played high level football again
- obviously no passion for the game.

Yeah was Warren Ralph (ex - blue) and i think he was a bit past his prime then.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Youll get your answer Friday.

In a full house at the dome.

With our season teetering on the brink.

With the captain watching very carefully in the stands.

We will see.

Shaggy
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote:
Shaggy wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

No they can still be desperate for being professional, fear of being dropped ,pride etc but still lack the passion and love for the club we have that may be an ingredient to getting something extra out of themselves like a Harvey and Bourke . and as for Lockett your just confirming the point with one player as an example .Do you think hes the only one? Ok i believe Milne and Hudgeton are quite passionate about the st kilda football club and our vision as well when they go out to play but how about say Michael Gardiner and King?
I only answered on Plugger because you raised him in the first place.

The Stkilda football club to most players is their work and social life and most live out of each other’s pockets.

The players live, love, like, tolerate and sometimes dislike each other, and the coaches, and support staff and supporters.

It’s a family and neither you nor I understand the dynamics because we are mere supporters and are not in the middle of it.

Unless you are perfect none of us should ever pretend we would do a better job than our current players if we had same skill. Skill or talent doesn’t make a person in any walk of life.

But to give us supporters credit barracking for the Saints through thick and thin is a major talent/significant redeeming feature, which is not given the credit it deserves by outsiders including family :D :D .

One of Roo or Bally will at some time be President of our club. They are serious club men. And you have left them out as bleeding red white and black. They are our future leaders off field. You should think about that.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

How many ex players become president?

Isn't it more of a roll for the businessmen of the world?

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:How many supporters do u think we have that have the commitment to get up early mornings in the winter and go for 6am swims in the bay or go to training and run laps after laps.

Give me $5000 a week and i'll get up at 2.00 am and swim from Port Melb to Frankston and back and how many of them would go to the extent and commitment that we do that actually COSTS us money all for nothing but the love of the club ?

Anyone who truely believes ALL these players are there for the club and supporters are kidding themselves and to someone like Robert Harvey who i believe shows a significant difference to his commitment level and attitude , its an insult to him.

If ALL of our players WERE as committed passionate and wore their hearts on their sleeves like Robert Harvey im sure we would see a different team.

Im not saying there is no commitment at all by any of them, there is for all different reasons but i would just like to think it means as much to ALL of them as us and i dont .

When we get the next flogging by another side and they show them after the game proudly embraced in a circle singing their club song ,take a good look because there's a good chance a couple of our current die hard players may be in there with them in the not too distant future.

HOW MUCH OF THE COLLINGWOOD THEME SONG CAN YOU SING WITH PRIDE ?
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Tue 13 May 2008 11:39pm, edited 5 times in total.

matty
Club Player

brown-coat wrote:The following players understand the concept of passion, red white and black and want a premiership.

1. Robert Harvey

The rest are there for business/work/personal gain and i think more and more players coming through the ranks have no real understanding of club culture and passion but rather are there for personal glory. Who's to blame? Society as a whole, and the AFLs imperialist expansion policy. Killing Fitzroy, raping South Melbourne, soon to rape North Melbourne.

The sky is falling and the fabric of the universe is tearing itself apart.

I know nothing.

im adding max to that list :)

Shaggy
Club Player

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:How many ex players become president?

That’s very condescending :twisted: .

All Presidents can demonstrate a love for the club.

Bongo (premiership player) stood by us as President when the VFL would have been happy for us to collapse.

Fox and RB were both ex Saints players.

The difference today is the players get paid a fortune so they are already successful businessmen.

Ex players becoming President will become the norm (IMO).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:How many ex players become president?

That’s very condescending :twisted: .

All Presidents can demonstrate a love for the club.

Bongo (premiership player) stood by us as President when the VFL would have been happy for us to collapse.

Fox and RB were both ex Saints players.

The difference today is the players get paid a fortune so they are already successful businessmen.

Ex players becoming President will become the norm (IMO).

It was the norm but those days are just about over like playing coaches. There isnt even a certainty of Rooy or Bally finishing their career at the club.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I would have thought that any player who chooses to remain at his existing club rather than earn a bigger pay packet at another club is showing loyalty and commitment.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:I would have thought that any player who chooses to remain at his existing club rather than earn a bigger pay packet at another club is showing loyalty and commitment.

Yes your right SOME are but the issue is that some people are having trouble believing not ALL are and i can understand it is probably the same as when they found out there was no Santa Clause or tooth fairy.

esaint66
SS Life Member

We all know Robert Harvey bleeds red, white and black but for anyone who read todays age they would have read that Banger will this week break the unwanted record of most games witout a premiership taking over Superboot's 366 to play his 367th.

Now that is commitment.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Winmar7Fan wrote:

I have never discovered anything that robs the passion from something like making it a job. It becomes the day to day reality, the thing that's going on whether things are good or bad, the status quo. In the case of pro sports, I believe every player who makes it as far as the top league plays to win, because it's a team game, and regardless of who you barracked for as a kid, wearing those colours, singing that song, and playing with that team will convert you. Do you think Gary Ablett wasn't a Cats fan in the end, regardless of his public persona?

Do they feel a loss for a week like their die hard supporters? Often not I'd guess... but by the same token, there would be occasions where they'd feel them worse, or remember the wins better. TS40 was delisted, who thinks he won't remember his long goal against Brisbane in the dying minutes long after the rest of us have moved on? I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Banger has had nightmares about handballing to a voice in the dying minutes of the '04 prelim, looking up and seeing the Power's colours.

For them it's not the week-to-week prospect it is for fans. It's day-to-day. After a loss, they get one night to fit in as much dissapointment as I feel in a week, then they have to get up and train for next week. If they can temper that dissapointment, good for them, because I never learned to when I played sport.

And by the end of it, at the end of all the blood, sweat and tears, highs and low's, frustrations and joys - who can blame them if they don't find themselves with the same kind of emotional commitment to watching the next batch of guys to run around in the jumper... because for the players there's more to it then that.

Besides which, we're all a little nuts... I'm not going to hold it against them if they aren't too. :)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford