Don't get sucked in by old Mike Sheahan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Banger2Plugger wrote:I truly think we are all missing the point here......

How the hell do you keep kangaroos in the top paddock - they just bound over the fence??????
Maybe he should have used one of the following alternate colloquialisms which essentially mean the same:-

a sandwich short of a picnic
the lights are on but nobody's home
nye do yobane (for any russian speakers on here)

saintly
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
The Peanut wrote:
Eastern wrote:
yipper wrote:I'm just curious as to why we are the one team everybody must write an article about every week!!?? I mean there are 16 team in AFL comp, 10 in Melbourne - one of the most famous clubs in the country is underperforming a tad (all due respects Johnpeterbudge) - why not a scathing piece on them? One whole page in the Herald Sun today on all things Saints?? WTF???
I think you'll find that the Herald Sun would have done their market research and found that;

St KILDA SELLS NEWSPAPERS !!
ye - I have read umpteen complaints on here about no St Kilda news in the papers and the Filth get all the articles etc etc but this is the first time I have read someone complaining about too many Saints articles. :wink:

I am affraid you have to take the good with the bad - the media distorts the facts all the time - but so do the fans. :D
Don't have any issue with St.Kilda getting some regular media - just that it seems to me that, particularly over the last 2 weeks or so, there are no other Melbourne clubs under the pump?? We have had Voss, Caro, Rohan Connolly, Jon Ralph and now Sheahan all putting in their 2 bob's worth on St.Kilda - who last time I checked were sitting 5th with 4 wins and 3 losses and still not showing their best form!! It would seem that Pies, Bombers, Kangas, Dees and Tiges are all under the pump a tad as well. How about spreading the doom and gloom to other more worthy recipients!!??
but i don't want them to put pressure on the pies. It has happened many times. the opposing team getting media re under the pump, and they go on and win the game.

The Peanut
Club Player

yipper wrote:
The Peanut wrote:
Eastern wrote:
yipper wrote:I'm just curious as to why we are the one team everybody must write an article about every week!!?? I mean there are 16 team in AFL comp, 10 in Melbourne - one of the most famous clubs in the country is underperforming a tad (all due respects Johnpeterbudge) - why not a scathing piece on them? One whole page in the Herald Sun today on all things Saints?? WTF???
I think you'll find that the Herald Sun would have done their market research and found that;

ye - I have read umpteen complaints on here about no St Kilda news in the papers and the Filth get all the articles etc etc but this is the first time I have read someone complaining about too many Saints articles. :wink:

I am affraid you have to take the good with the bad - the media distorts the facts all the time - but so do the fans. :D
Don't have any issue with St.Kilda getting some regular media - just that it seems to me that, particularly over the last 2 weeks or so, there are no other Melbourne clubs under the pump?? We have had Voss, Caro, Rohan Connolly, Jon Ralph and now Sheahan all putting in their 2 bob's worth on St.Kilda - who last time I checked were sitting 5th with 4 wins and 3 losses and still not showing their best form!! It would seem that Pies, Bombers, Kangas, Dees and Tiges are all under the pump a tad as well. How about spreading the doom and gloom to other more worthy recipients!!??
ye yipper - sorry if I sounded critical of your post, it is a legitimate statement in the context you meant it - It just made me smile regarding many other posts I have read on SS in the past. :)

We do have to endure an extraordinary amount of pressure, expectations and distortions by the press - the Saints haven't provided much fuel lately for anything else much though and there doesn't seem to be anything we can do to change it.

Hopefully sticking it up the media will make a Premiership that little bit sweeter when we finally get there.

yipper
SS Life Member

The Peanut wrote:
yipper wrote:
The Peanut wrote:
Eastern wrote:

ye yipper - sorry if I sounded critical of your post, it is a legitimate statement in the context you meant it - It just made me smile regarding many other posts I have read on SS in the past. :)

We do have to endure an extraordinary amount of pressure, expectations and distortions by the press - the Saints haven't provided much fuel lately for anything else much though and there doesn't seem to be anything we can do to change it.

Hopefully sticking it up the media will make a Premiership that little bit sweeter when we finally get there.
Yeah, I'll have a gluten free beer on that!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Im a huge Kosi fan but the article (poor examples and all) is correct its time he stood up.

Yes hes not alone, yes others need to also but think on it this way......what Sheahan is really saying is: this blokes a MATCH WINNER you need these guys to fire IF you are fair dinkum making a run for the flag. Its actually in an odd way a compliment to Kosi's ability.

What I would be saying - and which I was glad to read Kos actually acknolwedge in the other article - was this is about Kosi standing up consistently - not just 3 or 4 isolated cameo's.

Its also NOT about about Kosi standing up everytime Nick Riewoldt's out its about him AND Riewoldt becoming the "bookends" many thought were definately going to supply St Kilda sustained success. Why cant Kosi dominate when Riewoldts in the side? Why does Roughhead perform with Franklin running round? (and vice versa?)

If we want some genuine potency the key HAS to be get Kosi to fire consistently - regardless if Riewoldts in the side or not.

Its small steps but he needs to address consistency starting with Friday night.

“Yeah….nah””
Red
Club Player

Fair criticism of Kosi. He's one of the reasons that we are rated highly

but don't achieve.

eppo67
Club Player

Kosi is a massive under achiever at the moment. I think the article is spot on and that is how he is viewed in AFL circles.

I think he is a CHB and should be left in that position. Make him accountable and stick to a job. I think he has played his best football at CHB for us.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Don't get sucked in by old Mike Sheahan

bigcarl wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Kosi please don't get sucked in by it. There are 22 players that need to step up.
that is true, but not all of them have kosi's abilities as a potential match-winner.

we need something extra special from him over the next month with riewoldt out and fraser really struggling.

good article by mike and he's right. kosi, it's time to step up to the plate.
Mike could have used a host of other AFL players to fit the profile of this typical and lazy formula writing. Seriously Kosi has a 'Princess Dianna' facination with readers so why wouldn't you use hime in your story. It's not as though it would have been a hard day at work for Mike on this story.

And really! If you look at the current Geelong team try and pick a match winner, I bet you you come up with around 10 of them.

Try and pick a match winner from the Lions team circa 2001 to 2003, I bet you'll come up with at least 10 names.

It's a romantic notion that a football team needs a match winner, a single match winner, a hero even. It makes for a great yarn and that is all.

Michael Voss's article is the only piece of credible football opinion I have read in a long time. So credible that even the Saints players came out and acknowledged it.

Do you really think that the Saints players are all hoping Kosi starts winning them matches. If they are that cup is a long way off.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

How the hell do you keep kangaroos in the top paddock - they just bound over the fence??????
Maybe he should have used one of the following alternate colloquialisms which essentially mean the same:-

a sandwich short of a picnic
the lights are on but nobody's home
nye do yobane (for any russian speakers on here)
I will claim I deliberately mixed my colloquiallisms....

Although that may open up Pandora's Floodgate of Worms....

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Kosi please don't get sucked in by it. There are 22 players that need to step up.
that is true, but not all of them have kosi's abilities as a potential match-winner.

we need something extra special from him over the next month with riewoldt out and fraser really struggling.

Mike could have used a host of other AFL players to fit the profile of this typical and lazy formula writing. Seriously Kosi has a 'Princess Dianna' facination with readers so why wouldn't you use hime in your story. It's not as though it would have been a hard day at work for Mike on this story.

And really! If you look at the current Geelong team try and pick a match winner, I bet you you come up with around 10 of them.

Try and pick a match winner from the Lions team circa 2001 to 2003, I bet you'll come up with at least 10 names.

It's a romantic notion that a football team needs a match winner, a single match winner, a hero even. It makes for a great yarn and that is all.

Michael Voss's article is the only piece of credible football opinion I have read in a long time. So credible that even the Saints players came out and acknowledged it.

Do you really think that the Saints players are all hoping Kosi starts winning them matches. If they are that cup is a long way off.
No one would argue with the basic tenet of your post - its a team game and Geelong are the best exponents of that BUT no one would surely suggest that a Jonathon Browne, Lance Franklin, Fevola, Cox, Judd et al are part of some romantic notion of "match winners" - facts are they do exist. I saw Hird do it enough at "crunch" times in games to come to fully comprehend the idea. Not all players can have that level of impact - Kosi has demonstrated he can. He now carries that weight of expectation.

All that aside its not THE reason we arent playing fluent, consistemt 4 qtr footy....thats another article much bigger than "our match winners are down" regardless Kos needs to lift and acknowledges it himself that should be enough evidence to suggest the article has merit.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

The point of the article which is correct is that it is time Kosi delivers. Fancy Mike Sheahan wrtiting an opinion piece on a guy how look like he will be a star but hasnt delivered. Shame on you Mike even though its your job. From now on no more articles on Saints players please. Having said that about 3 weeks ago people were complaining because nothing was written about us. I am confused but I am sure of one thing the article is fair enough.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I'm loving this, keep those articles coming!

It's time for the boys to stand up. Line in the stand. No roo for the next month and no excuse to split it at least 2-2 let alone 3-1. Huge chance to make a statement and get some momentium.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
sainteronline

a)higher fences
b)12 ftx12ft moat filled with crocs

kosi hasnt under achieved

he just hasnt achieved

why?

BECAUSE OF A LIST OF INJURIES THAT WOULDVE KEPT THE ENTIRE 1ST RAR OUT OF ACTION

total dribble

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

People are so precious about their football teams.

Come on guys, he's right, deep down you all know it.

I hope this club stops making itself immune from media criticism - the one time we admitted taking notice was when Vossy gave us a bake. We came out and hit Essendon hard.

But it didn't last. The next week we bent over, touched our toes and invited Port Adelaide to whatever they pleased. We then scrambled against Richmond, bailed out by a once-a-year Milne performance.

I hope the players do take notice. And I hope they actually go out there with a point to prove to the media, because they sure as hell don't seem to be responding to anything or anyone else.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

MikeSheahan
Club Player

Not sure why people don't like the top 10 B&F history stat. Why skirt around it? One 9th finish only so far is a fact, not an opinion.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Bit hard to finish top 10 when u miss so much time due to injury

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

MikeSheahan wrote:Not sure why people don't like the top 10 B&F history stat. Why skirt around it? One 9th finish only so far is a fact, not an opinion.
Pop quiz, what statistic correlates most highly to the places between 3rd and 10th on club best and fairests? If you said games played, I have no idea if you're right or not, but I'd be shocked if you weren't. Up to 10 players can get votes in a single game, so the biggest factor in club B&Fs is just being on the ground, only then does the skill to finish near the top of the voting on a regular basis start to impact.

I agred with most of the article,Kosi isn't where people expected him to be, and where we need him to be right now... but I think looking for anything but loyal servants outside the top 3 of a club B&F is a waste of time, and he hasn't played the games regularly enough.

I am dissapointed he hasn't managed to develop and stay on the park enough to become that top 3 player... but it's harder to criticise a guy for that.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
MikeSheahan wrote:Not sure why people don't like the top 10 B&F history stat. Why skirt around it? One 9th finish only so far is a fact, not an opinion.
Pop quiz, what statistic correlates most highly to the places between 3rd and 10th on club best and fairests? If you said games played, I have no idea if you're right or not, but I'd be shocked if you weren't. Up to 10 players can get votes in a single game, so the biggest factor in club B&Fs is just being on the ground, only then does the skill to finish near the top of the voting on a regular basis start to impact.

I agred with most of the article,Kosi isn't where people expected him to be, and where we need him to be right now... but I think looking for anything but loyal servants outside the top 3 of a club B&F is a waste of time, and he hasn't played the games regularly enough.

I am dissapointed he hasn't managed to develop and stay on the park enough to become that top 3 player... but it's harder to criticise a guy for that.
I'm not sure how the Saints vote for our B&F but I believe at some clubs, every player is given a rating for every game and you only need to miss a couple of games to virtually have no chanvce of winning/coming close.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:If we want some genuine potency the key HAS to be get Kosi to fire consistently - regardless if Riewoldts in the side or not.
agree.

above all else he needs to be settled into a position, whether it's chf, ff, chb or ruck. i think he's best suited at either chf or ff.

but whatever, he needs to feel he belongs in a particular role, rather than being shunted around and being asked to fill holes.

being a key forward is a pretty territorial business. you have to demand the ball and to seek dominance over a certain patch of ground.

i guess kosi feels sometimes that he is stepping on riewoldt's toes or fraser's toes.

with one injured and the other struggling, now is his chance to stamp some authority on a position and make it his own.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 13 May 2008 8:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I don't think you are the real Mike Sheahan but I am going to respond like you are anyway.

Basically you know what you are doing when you include a stat like the B&F history stat for Kosi in an opinion based piece.

Mooksy
Club Player

I reckon Mike's article was absolutely spot on. Couldn't agree more. Who knows it may fire him up and that can only be a good thing.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I mistook the "in" for "off" in the thread title and agreed wholeheatedly before i realised my error :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
sainteronline

exactly how many seasons has he played anywhere near a full season?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I mistook the "in" for "off" in the thread title and agreed wholeheatedly before i realised my error :D :D
I should report you to someone.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:

I'm not sure how the Saints vote for our B&F but I believe at some clubs, every player is given a rating for every game and you only need to miss a couple of games to virtually have no chanvce of winning/coming close.
Last year Kosi and Rooy both played 19 I think. One won it the other didnt finish in the top 10. Disappointing even allowing for all of his injuries. This year the same. Would struggle to be in the top 10 again. Time to stand up and this article should only help.