crushing weight of expectation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

crushing weight of expectation

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/w ... 31496.html
"I know what you're getting at," Lyon said. "You're talking about the weight of expectation and we all feel that weight. Of course we do. We're all trying to win it."
interesting article.

i remember an interview with one of our 1966 premiership heroes (ross smith, maybe. I can't recall the player) who said one of the reasons they won it was they felt they owed the club and the members who had believed in them for so long.

so that team, too, felt the crushing weight of expectation that we long-suffering sainters put on our under-achieving club.

the cards fell the right way back then and the boys of 1966 were able to deliver a premiership.

i'm wondering whether the weight of expectation our current batch of young players have carried around since 2004 is too much to bear and they have just given up on the dream of delivering on all that supposed talent.

so, if it helps any, i'd like to put it on record that i don't expect anything much this season.

given our mediocre start to 2008, we look like also-rans.

Milne
Club Player

I remember in 1997 being right down near the bottom of the ladder before we flogged Melbourne at Waverley, which was the start of the streak.

GRAMophone
Club Player

Look - I have a reasonable amount of respect for Caro as a journalist but I think this was an overwhelning case of the 'crushing weight of expectation' on Caro to produce an article in a very quiet football week.

After all the story of the dissappearing note in our trophy cabinet happened quite some time ago. It smacked more of another little opportunity to point out that the Saints haven't had their dream start to the season. A very common theme amongst journos in recent weeks.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milne wrote:I remember in 1997 being right down near the bottom of the ladder before we flogged Melbourne at Waverley, which was the start of the streak.
i'm sure it is a mindset thing and the fact that they've gone into the past few seasons being talked up as possible premiers hasn't helped.

perhaps now that we've drifted out in the premiership betting to $17 and no-one is expecting much from us we'll start to produce.

Top4King
Club Player

bigcarl you are the problem. frustration is everywhere including your loungeroom. get your fat arse off the couch and start believing.
as long as you think that it has anything to do with a mental application you will lose. the heart rules the head and not the other way around.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Top4King wrote:bigcarl you are the problem.
i somehow doubt that, you dipstick blow-in.

you're probably a collingwood troll and I doubt you even got the gist of what I wrote.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shyte article - very ordinary as it was all on the back of nothing...FFS a "space left in the cabinet"

this trollope didnt anywhere NEAR abg her beloved Richmond enough when theyve been rabble.....and she likes to boot us a bit.

rubbish,poor mans excuse for a journo.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:shyte article - very ordinary as it was all on the back of nothing...FFS a "space left in the cabinet"

this trollope didnt anywhere NEAR abg her beloved Richmond enough when theyve been rabble.....and she likes to boot us a bit.

rubbish,poor mans excuse for a journo.
thath dithguthding

Top4King
Club Player

Re: crushing weight of expectation

bigcarl wrote:http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/w ... 31496.html
"I know what you're getting at," Lyon said. "You're talking about the weight of expectation and we all feel that weight. Of course we do. We're all trying to win it."
interesting article.

i remember an interview with one of our 1966 premiership heroes (ross smith, maybe. I can't recall the player) who said one of the reasons they won it was they felt they owed the club and the members who had believed in them for so long.

so that team, too, felt the crushing weight of expectation that we long-suffering sainters put on our under-achieving club.

the cards fell the right way back then and the boys of 1966 were able to deliver a premiership.

i'm wondering whether the weight of expectation our current batch of young players have carried around since 2004 is too much to bear and they have just given up on the dream of delivering on all that supposed talent.

so, if it helps any, i'd like to put it on record that i don't expect anything much this season.

given our mediocre start to 2008, we look like also-rans.
you're right bigcarl, i didnt read the article. all i read was the title and your post. i dont give wilson the satisfaction of reading her articles because they are a. not interesting b. written from a non-playing woman's perspective and c. contributing to her already inflated ego by virtue of a hitcount.
perhaps what i really meant to suggest was that attitudes like yours are a part of the problem. language like "long-suffering" and "under-achieving" is not helpful to the mission.
i do not agree with your thoughts that the start has been "mediocre" and i cant see for the life of me why you would expect anything regardless.
personally, i get disacppointed when the lads dont play well as was the case in the first quarter against port yet there is scope for improvement and overall the saints are travelling a heap better than the filth who "we" plan on defeating this friday yeah?

bozza1980
Club Player

I actually thought it was an interesting article.

I like the fact that nobody is taking responsibility for it going in there in the first place.

It sounded like a pretty cheekly thing to do and at the same time a claim that anything less than the premiership wasn't good enough for us this season.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Good article. I think it says a lot about how much easier it is to understand the mentality of a winning team than a lot of people like to suggest. I do wonder wheter all the players are on Reiwoldt's "bus" as genuine believers... because the Saints frequently don't look like they've got a lot of belief on the field.

When we're winning by a little, tends to be belief.
When we're winning by a lot, tends to be belief.
When the other team's storming back into the game, there's panic.
When the other team is 4 goals up, there's despondancy.

Maybe it's just how I feel watching them in those situations, but I think Caro summed it up pretty well - a winning team aiming for a premiership is going to believe they're going to win regardless of the circumstance, and I'm not convinced that the plaque coming down isn't a perfect metaphor for the level of belief at the club right now.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: crushing weight of expectation

Top4King wrote:overall the saints are travelling a heap better than the filth who "we" plan on defeating this friday yeah?
we'd want to

esaint66
SS Life Member

Milne wrote:I remember in 1997 being right down near the bottom of the ladder before we flogged Melbourne at Waverley, which was the start of the streak.

That wasnt the start of the streak .... thats when it turned upward for us, but the streak started when we beat hawthorn at waverly and i dont think we dropped a game until the Grand Final.