For arguments sake - Riewoldt and the Gold Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

For arguments sake - Riewoldt and the Gold Coast

Gold Coast will be getting the first picks (something like #1 and #3 and pick #5) in 2010. They can also warehouse the best Queensland kids from this years draft.

In 2010 they will be after a "franchise" player to kick start their club and membership and profile etc.

No secret that Nick Riewoldt has been metioned in dispatches.

Now in 2010 Nick will be 28 or 29, and would have played 10 years in the red white and black.

Thinking rationally (considering no teams apart from the GC and WS will be getting top 5 dps for a few years) the only way we can get the next 10 year player for us is to trade into the draft.

Who do we have? Nick Riewoldt and David Armitage.

I love Nick and it would be a shame to see him go, but logically thinking we cant let sentiment rule when we are trying to get the big prize.

By 2010 our early dps like Nick and Kosi and Luke Ball and Dal and others are getting into the second half of their careers. and we will need to look to the future.

Of course if Nick wants to stay, well thats great and I would be happy, but if we can trade with GC for say picks #1 and #5 plus the best warehoused Queenslander, well I can see the logic in this.

I think we really have to look what the two new teams will be getting by way of dps and how this will effect the whole competition.

So do we stay sentimental, or are we hard nosed enough to trade Nick for high dps and a player and hope that the list can be rejuvenauted around two or three young guns?

Thoughts?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

very good topic Joff....it has crossed my mind also not so much to immediately trade but to think.....the GC side will have some great picks to offer...and many will attempt to trade with them....do we go for broke?

I guess without knowing anything bout the new draft crop at that time....its impossible to know.....

“Yeah….nah””
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Joffaboy,
I think Sam Gilbert is also from Qld?

BakesFan
SS Life Member

The more I think about it, the more I'm resigned to the fact that Riewoldt will go to the Gold Coast.. He'll be given The Godfather offer (he can't refuse).
I just hope the Saints manage to get the best from any trade.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
asiu

trade him at the end of this year

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

first point, it would be silly to give away both the number 1 & 5 draft picks for a 29 year old player

second, i would want to hold on to him, loyalty and romance should always have a place in football

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm thinking the Saints are more likely to trade Armitage or Gilbert to
the Gold Coast team.Reiwoldt seems determined to be a one club player.

If we could get a top 5 pick from the Gold Coast for Armitage or Gilbert
it would be very tempting, however unlikely....

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
SaintWodonga
Club Player

I have been thinking about this topic. And I would be happy to trade Roo for high draft picks by then.

We had a chance to give up Stewie Loewe to Freo (with only a couple of years left in his career) and while it was good he stayed, the downside is we would still have David Wirrupunda playing for us. It was in the media at the time that is who we would have got for the trade. WCE traded some ok players and still have David (from Victoria).

By the way we need speed, speed and speed!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

first off the batt by the time the GC team comes in Roo would be eligible to be in our veterans list hence half his pay only counts to the SC so money shouldnt be too much of a worry (provided we are not struggleing for members by that stage and the clubs profits are looking shakey) secondly by 2011 who is to say Roo will be the highest profile goldcoast player ? its a long time til 2011
thirdly if we draft well in the next few years b4 the GC team come in then we wount need to sell of players during the GC draft concessions

and lastly i dont think anywhere else besides amongst us Saints fans would anyone rate Gilbo worthy of a top five pick ..... un less it was a shallow draft

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

I think the AFL will almost demand Roo to the Gold Coast. Any chance of areasonable trade you can almost forget about also I beleive as the AFL need Roo to drive this bus.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I'd be unhappy trading our champions at any time.
Let teh recruiters do their jobs and keep finding us enough players without this.

How would we feel if Harvey was approaching game #370 for another club, instead of us?

Give the new Gold Coast Club no better than we gave the Brisbane Bears!

Behind Play
Club Player

CURLY wrote:I think the AFL will almost demand Roo to the Gold Coast. Any chance of areasonable trade you can almost forget about also I beleive as the AFL need Roo to drive this bus.
Spot on Curly, as they insisted Tony Lockett, went to Sydney!

JeffDunne

Roo should retire a Saint and we should do everything possible to ensure that happens.

I can't believe this is even being discussed.

the shadow
Club Player

For argument's sake

If we don't trade, the AFL will find a way to take him from us. Just as big a concern is what will happen to Gilbert and Armitage. They will be coming into their prime and if they continue to improve at the expected rate, they will be a massive loss for us.

On the upside, it will give us something of quality to trade with. I just hope the patron saint of interstate clubs, St. Adrian Anderson, doesn't change the rules in such a way that leaves us with next to nothing.

As unfortunate as your sentiments are Joffaboy, I'm afraid they are realistic. We may as well get the best we can, because all three will be heavily targeted.

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
bozza1980
Club Player

He is the captain of the club and a 3 time best and fairest winner.

If he wants to stay we have to keep him, however on the flip side, if he decides the lure of Gold Coast life is too much, we have to make sure we get the best deal possible for him.

That said, from a very unreliable source, Nick's old man has made it clear that Nick wants to stay in Melbourne.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Speed aint everything -a classy skilled player who has guts and determination and leadership qualities is preferable when recruiting.

JeffDunne

Re: For argument's sake

the shadow wrote:If we don't trade, the AFL will find a way to take him from us.
What do you base this on? :?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:He is the captain of the club and a 3 time best and fairest winner.

If he wants to stay we have to keep him, however on the flip side, if he decides the lure of Gold Coast life is too much, we have to make sure we get the best deal possible for him.

That said, from a very unreliable source, Nick's old man has made it clear that Nick wants to stay in Melbourne.
he has won 4 Best and fairests

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Unlike years past...Any team that loses a star player, will be more than adequately compensated.

It would be draft pick city.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Clubs are built on legends.

I'll talk about seeing the great Robert Harvey when I were a lad, and trevor barker soaring above packs to take marks, and why loewe was a great CHF etc, I'd like to add Nick Riewoldt to the life time saints I talk about too.

How many folks have wiped that last year off nicky winmar's career at footscray from their memories? Or that the couragious David Grant spent his last year at Melbourne.

The even older fans talk about being ripped off that ian stewart got his last brownnose at richmond.

I hope Nick becomes ingrained at the saints and his name stands alongside doc baldock, robert Harvey, eetc as the greatest and loyal saints.

I think sometimes the players show more loyalty to the club than the fans and sometimes even the club deserves.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Re: For argument's sake

JeffDunne wrote:
the shadow wrote:If we don't trade, the AFL will find a way to take him from us.
What do you base this on? :?
Tony Lockett.
We didn't want to trade him, but the AFL made every effort to ensure that we did.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Tony Lockett.
We didn't want to trade him, but the AFL made every effort to ensure that we did.
This is complete crap. Lockett wanted to go to Sydney to get away from all the garbage that was surrounding him in Melbourne (including the greyhound breeding scandal he was involved in). Collingwood also made a huge offer but HIS preference was Sydney. The AFL had nothing to do with it. Fair dinkum some of the conspiracy theorists on here!! Maybe Demitriou was the second recruiter behind the grassy knoll!!!

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Tony Lockett.
This is complete crap. Lockett wanted to go to Sydney to get away from all the garbage that was surrounding him in Melbourne (including the greyhound breeding scandal he was involved in). Collingwood also made a huge offer but HIS preference was Sydney. The AFL had nothing to do with it. Fair dinkum some of the conspiracy theorists on here!! Maybe Demitriou was the second recruiter behind the grassy knoll!!!
I understood that collingwood was his preference

I've sort of moved on past that whole thing now though.

Sydney's offer at the time was about twice what st kilda offered and a significant value above what Collingwood offered as well.

also the greyhound scandal was during his time in Sydney not at st kilda.

SHUT UP KRIME!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I am sure that the club will come under enormous pressure from the AFL to trade Riewoldt to the Gold Coast.

Riewoldt is that he is the sort of superstar you can build a team over and (although he is really a Tasmanian) is the only current major star in the AFL with any sort of connection to the Gold Coast.

Also, Riewoldt himself would surely stand to become a lot richer through endorsements, etc., so he'd have to be interested.

How Westaway and the current club management respond to this pressure will be a major test for them. Astute use of the media would be required, in order to create momentum for the idea that the Gold Coast club will need to find its own way as have the other 4 brand new clubs. If we fail with this, I agree with JB: we refuse to let him go other than in exchange for #1 and another first round draft pick.

Unless either Armitage or Gilbert have achieved superstar status by 2010, I can't see either of them figuring in this picture.

Of course, it will all be irrelevant if the AFL succeeds in making the Kangaroos go there.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

can anyone remember the article from about 5 years ago that suggested st kilda should trade kosi to essendon because essendon deserved another shot at a flag?

SHUT UP KRIME!