McEvoy or Rioli???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The Rioli argument is interesting but I liken to yous better value a flashy D Motlop or the ultra consistent hard working K Cornes. One may win you a game 3-4 times a year while the other will be in the best two or three players in 15 wins a year. McEvoy looks to be a player the next wave of mids can be built around. Armitage, Steven Geary and so on. While it hasnt been proven yet whether Rioli can play in the mid field the track record of players his size and type in a full time mid role isnt good.

As for Bachar Houli id like to bet if Brad Howard was allowed to play acroos half back playing that style that Ess are playing hed also get touches a game.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Raven
Club Player

Richter wrote: 2008 - we should continue to target pacey and skilled mids IMO
I respectfully disagree. IMO, we should be aiming for a key defender. Hopefully players like Steven and Connors can develop well for us (regarding our need for pacey mids). Or am I way off the track?
Last edited by Raven on Tue 06 May 2008 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Greg Westaway wanted Rioli.

Oddly, the football department chose not to take his advice.

flower him...i wanted rioli .... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It is generally accepted that ruckmen take at least five years to become an overnight sensation. And if you play them too soon, the longevity risks, already apparent for usually more robust but smaller on ballers eg Ball, Judd, etc., will be significant.

As a number of posters have said, drafting a "potential" while having two older "champions" seems a wise move. The idea that you can tailor aside in any one year to win a flag went out in 1987 with the introduction of the draft. Even when you should win the flag, you may not (us in 04,05). You just have to be in the right place at the right time with a team that covers most bases ( others in 04,05,06).

the shadow
Club Player

Mcevoy vs. rioli

Ben McEvoy has the potential to be our no.1 ruckman for the next decade. Having seen him play a couple of times at U/18 level and for the scorps, he clearly has the potential to make it.

Think a slightly less athletic version of Kosi. Hopefully with a more robust body and better luck with injuries! The added bonus is that he is apparently a fine young bloke. Impressed all the recruiters at the draft camp with his footy smarts and leadership potential. There was general surprise he lasted until pick 9. I think we got a bargain.

I know everyone has been banging on about how great Cyril Rioli is, and that the saints thought long and hard about drafting him at 9. No doubt Rioli will be a gun for the hawks, but given 2-3 years of development (as all big fellas need), we may see Ben be the equal of any of the first rounders of the 2007 draft.

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
Dazvolt
Club Player

What are the chances of Ben playing this year?h

goodie
Club Player

Dazvolt wrote:What are the chances of Ben playing this year?h
At the beginning of this year I would've said 'next to none'

But with the old injury curse rearing its ugly head again, his chances are pretty damn good now

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I would have liked to see us go for some much needed speed, Riloi!

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
saintly
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:I would have liked to see us go for some much needed speed, Riloi!
yes, that is one of the saints problems. the speed.
daveys, austin wanna... etc could have been picked up by the saints,

Richter
SS Life Member

We have picked up Brad Howard and Clinton Jones in the last couple of years - both speedsters. CJ already played a few games, BH little apparent so far.

My point is, the drafting committee obviously see it as an issue - it's just that the choices made have not (yet) lived up to their potential - sort of reminds me of the ruck/BB situation in 03.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:We have picked up Brad Howard and Clinton Jones in the last couple of years - both speedsters. CJ already played a few games, BH little apparent so far.
Both are athletes, neither are footballers. Surely it isn't that hard to find someone who is both.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Jones not a footballer?????????

Jones won the South Fremantle's best and fairest award in 2006 and 2005 and came third in the 2006 Sandover Medal.

You can complain all you like about his lack of footskills....but calling him an athlete and not a footballer is way off the mark...and very undeserved.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

There's one kid in this year's draft, Kieran King, who is literally an athlete and a footballer. He's been to the national championships for both athletics and football. Two problems though: 1) He's an outside mid, and 2) he's Western Australian. Supposedly has excellent skills and can run. He's also a little on the small side.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ace
Saintsational Legend

A number of clubs have benefited by picking up agile aboriginal players.
They come from communities that play a hell of a lot of football - all day, everyday.
They come AFL ready but do not have as much improvement available as say an Armitage. Armitage has benefited more by becoming a full time footballer.
They are generally lightweight, not strong overhead and fragile.
Using up draft picks 5 and 8 to get the Clarke brothers has probably scared the St Kilda recruitment staff.
Raph has definitely not lived up to their expectations and X after a promising start to his career (Burke gave him his jumper) has just become a part time player due to chronic hamstring injury.
The St Kilda recruitment team would appear to have played safe in their recent selections.
They have forgotten the great value provided by great runners like a Winmar or a McLeod.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

There's nothing I've seen in Cyril Rioli's footy so far that makes me think he'll be a better ruckman than McEvoy. :wink:

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Hindsight is wonderful isnt it? Im sure the West Coast would like their time over again to get Nicky Winmar Chris Judd wouldnt have gone no 3 if everyone knew what a great player he was and im sure if we realised what a massive dud Barry Brooks was we wouldnt ahve given up 2 picks for him. Ditto Carlton with Ackland, and the list goes on and on

In retrospect Rioli would have been a great pick up even perdfect for our needs. Unfortunatly we cant go back in time. McEvoy has had good reports from Casey so heres hoping he will be a valuable player in teh future

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:There's one kid in this year's draft, Kieran King, who is literally an athlete and a footballer. He's been to the national championships for both athletics and football. Two problems though: 1) He's an outside mid, and 2) he's Western Australian. Supposedly has excellent skills and can run. He's also a little on the small side.
We NEED running outside mids. Hayes, Ball and Armo provide more than enough grunt in the contests.

The Saints are coming!
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:
Greg Westaway wanted Rioli.

Oddly, the football department chose not to take his advice.wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: