Time for the hard decisions Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Sainter
Club Player

Time for the hard decisions Ross

After last night it's obvious changes must be made. in my post before this game i said Gehrig, Macguire and Baker should not be playing on form. They were 3 of our worst players last night. Macguire is hopelessly out of form which is a pity because he showed with that gutsy mark in the last quarter how good he used to be. the game has passed Baker, he is too slow and he has no marking skills. Gehrig should retire for good, he has nothing left to offer us. Gram also must be close to playing with Casey the way he is performing at the moment, also Dempster in 87 mins on the ground got only 5 possessions.
The 2 Gardiners did enough plus Schneider certainly looks the goods and Armitage should be a regular every week as he is a goer.
We must try a few of our younger players from Casey like Allen, Geary ,Jones and perhaps the young ruckman.
Let's face facts we are not going to win the flag this year so lets start giving them some game time in preparation for our future. Pick players on form now Ross and stop playing favourites. Yes i do realize we won the game which was a great result but i am looking to the future.

Richter
SS Life Member

Goose still looks like he's out of form. He's so important to our defensive structure though that I think we need to play him back into form - he's not great but neither is he terrible ATM.

Baker - ditto been out for a while. Realistically we need to play 2 out of Baker, Dempster, Blake, Leigh Fisher as shutdown players. Jury still out on Dempster - Leigh and Blake ok but have had their go without really shining. Not a big deal who plays really as not the most important issues we have to deal with.

Gehrig - little output again last night. He may be reprieved given Roo's injury.

Overall we need to find answers to the following issues.......

1/ Goddard and Dal need to get more possession in dangerous parts of the park. They are our best distributors of the ball.

2/ Midfield delivery aimless - see 1/

3/ Forward structure a worry. Forward pressure not much improved and never look like breaking a game open with our big men taking grab after grab.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
matrix
Saintsational Legend

bakers had two games ffs.......been out since god knows when.
plenty of others who have been playing and are giving and showing less.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:Goose still looks like he's out of form. He's so important to our defensive structure though that I think we need to play him back into form - he's not great but neither is he terrible ATM.

Baker - ditto been out for a while. Realistically we need to play 2 out of Baker, Dempster, Blake, Leigh Fisher as shutdown players. Jury still out on Dempster - Leigh and Blake ok but have had their go without really shining. Not a big deal who plays really as not the most important issues we have to deal with.

Gehrig - little output again last night. He may be reprieved given Roo's injury.

Overall we need to find answers to the following issues.......

1/ Goddard and Dal need to get more possession in dangerous parts of the park. They are our best distributors of the ball.

2/ Midfield delivery aimless - see 1/

3/ Forward structure a worry. Forward pressure not much improved and never look like breaking a game open with our big men taking grab after grab.
fair dinkum do some of you people actually watch the game

dal was sensational, he got possession all over the ground and I think you will find he delivered at least 6-8 times inside 50

we got goals from the midfield players, now thats a tick . don't you agree or did you miss that bit

we had heaps of marks inside 50

and we held richmonds run out of the back half so many times, look at the game and see how many times the ball had to be zig zagged out of the back 50 by the tiges

there was a passage of play in the last quarter in our forward pocket where we held the ball through about 4 or 5 ball ups with pressure

finally I thought 31 although not brilliant was more than serviceable. took a couple of strong marks, ran forward a couple of times , just like the old days, definitely on the way back

fqf

The Sainter
Club Player

Baker did not have a great season last year. If he's not match fit play him down at Casey till he gets it. His man had 27 possessions to his 6 last night.
if he can't play close then try someone else. My beef is that he should have come back through Casey first.

Richter
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote:
fair dinkum do some of you people actually watch the game

dal was sensational, he got possession all over the ground and I think you will find he delivered at least 6-8 times inside 50

we got goals from the midfield players, now thats a tick . don't you agree or did you miss that bit

we had heaps of marks inside 50

and we held richmonds run out of the back half so many times, look at the game and see how many times the ball had to be zig zagged out of the back 50 by the tiges

there was a passage of play in the last quarter in our forward pocket where we held the ball through about 4 or 5 ball ups with pressure

finally I thought 31 although not brilliant was more than serviceable. took a couple of strong marks, ran forward a couple of times , just like the old days, definitely on the way back

fqf
Clearly better than you do - and I can read other people's posts too - unlike you seem able to.

I agree Dal was good - I'd still like to see the ball in his hands even more. I notice you don't mention how many times BJ delivered the ball laceout inside 50. Or that none of Lenny, Harvey, Ball, X or Joey look capable of delivering accurate passes over 35m - instead of potting me why don't you put your peabrain into considering why that was?

Yes happy that mids got some goals - but perhaps you missed it but Milne got seven goals. How many goals did the tall forwards get between them - I'll give you a clue (2) - no where near enough - instead of potting me why don't you put your peabrain into considering why that was? (See paragraph above for a clue)

Don't agree that we had so many inside 50 marks - like to see the stats on that one though.

Fair enough re forward pressure - perhaps I'm being a bit harsh as last night was improved cf previous outings.

Re final quarter contested possesion. Perhaps you missed the fact that after the 4-5 ball-ups you mention we lost the clearance and that in the last 3 minutes of the game Kelvin Moore took a grab inside 50 and we then gave it straight back to the Tigers for Riewoldt to have another crack.

Re 31 - seems like we agree.

Anything to agree or disagree with re G train, of the number of taggers we should play?

Perhaps you need to open both eyes when watching the game not just one. And actually read other peoples posts and comment on them without the need to insult them - otherwise you'll get it coming straight back at you.
Last edited by Richter on Sun 04 May 2008 1:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

The Sainter wrote:Baker did not have a great season last year. If he's not match fit play him down at Casey till he gets it. His man had 27 possessions to his 6 last night.
if he can't play close then try someone else. My beef is that he should have come back through Casey first.
Too good for that crap comp?

What does it prove?

Another opportunity awaits!