Isn't a win supposed to feel good?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Isn't a win supposed to feel good?

I reckon if most of the supporters feel like they lost then how do you reckon the players feel this morning.

The mind is an incredible thing. I would say the club is currently in need of a very good head shrink at the moment for some serious councelling.

It looks like we are going to lose Roo for the year, G-train is lost, Kosi might go missing on a forced holiday, X is gone for a bit, many of our best 22 are missing something, and as a club we are just lost.

Our club seemingly in an ok position on the ladder and with a better win/loss ratio at this stage of the season for while and yet we all feel crap.

Can't explain it, just plain strange.

All I can say is, hang in, hang on and try and enjoy yourself along the way...if you can.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Isn't a win supposed to feel good?

Cairnsman wrote:
It looks like we are going to lose Roo for the year, .
Is this official?
Last I heard he was going to have 'scans' this week to determine the severity of a medial ligament injury.
Depending on the severity this could result in 0 - 8 weeks off.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Mate - it is only some sad sacks on here.

Everyone I was with last night were very excited with the win.

They did exactly what Michael Voss wrote about the other week - they played for each other.

It is sometimes not the way you win, it is how. Last night we were probably out played by richmond, but found a way to win. We were three players dow in the last qr with Goose and another on the field injured, against a fully fit Richmond, who hit the lead and kicked the first goal of qtr4.

We all fully expected Richmond to run over the top of us, but we showed guts and heart to win the game.

THATS WHAT I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT.

Everyone has been screaming how we show no spirit. Well last night we did, and in buckets full.

Doesn't detract from the fact hat we can play much, much better. We have to be harder at the pill we got smashed in hard ball gets 65-28, and many playes are still down on form.

But many hung in there and stood up in qtr4. Players like Goose, who is very underdone and last night playing wounded, did some very good and courageous things in the last qtr. ood to see. Raph, the whipping boy now Blake is gone, played a very good game (others will never admit this though because of their genda), even Gram, who is terribly out of form, tried and tried and tried.

Yes I am an optimist, but I will enjoy and be heartened by a gutsy come from behind win.

I'll let the sad sacks and moaners do as they please.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Mate - it is only some sad sacks on here.

They did exactly what Michael Voss wrote about the other week - they played for each other.

It is sometimes not the way you win, it is how. Last night we were probably out played by richmond, but found a way to win. We were three players dow in the last qr with Goose and another on the field injured, against a fully fit Richmond, who hit the lead and kicked the first goal of qtr4.

We all fully expected Richmond to run over the top of us, but we showed guts and heart to win the game.

THATS WHAT I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT.

Everyone has been screaming how we show no spirit. Well last night we did, and in buckets full.

Doesn't detract from the fact hat we can play much, much better. We have to be harder at the pill we got smashed in hard ball gets 65-28, and many playes are still down on form.

But many hung in there and stood up in qtr4. Players like Goose, who is very underdone and last night playing wounded, did some very good and courageous things in the last qtr. ood to see. Raph, the whipping boy now Blake is gone, played a very good game (others will never admit this though because of their genda), even Gram, who is terribly out of form, tried and tried and tried.

Yes I am an optimist, but I will enjoy and be heartened by a gutsy come from behind win.

I'll let the sad sacks and moaners do as they please.
Thanks for that Joffa. I feel better now. Seriously :!:

I didn't get to watch the game last night as we all went out for tea on one of the rare nights we are live on free to air up here in Cairns.

Anyway when I got home and got online it just read like we won but the club was imploding.

Anyway hope Roo and Kosi are up for the Pies game because I am coming down for that match.

wolfpup
Club Player

i really enjoyed the win as i was with my richmond supporter mates.

i thought we played quite well, got back into the game with our forward line playing poorly again.

keep in mind richmond got some soft goals, particulary that strange simmonds goal from a birss free kick where birrs had his head taken off so really at the end of the day we deserved to win as far as i was concerned

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

we are currently 5th with at worst possibly 6th by end of weekend

they persisted

one reason I HAVE to go when ever I can cairnsman and or watch- never trust the reports, they give colour but not fact

and even two people sitting beside one another don't see the same thing,

in 2 weeks-
King back-
kosi - who knows but would play forward if not suspended
Jarryd allen more than ready to step up in the foreward
X put- Jarryn geary has proved himself
L fisher and J blake are dependable and ready to give it their best ( maybe not superstars BUT they will go all night and do a job)

we have Fiora with AFL experience to step back in
CJ will run although some :roll: will attack his disposal too- but he will at least move it forward at speed

what we do have-
Goddard getting better each week( despite having worse stats than Raph last night by .3%)
maguire getting more time into his legs
Ball running smoothly and kicking goals
Hayes strong and dependable
Harvey- just being Harvey
armitage getting game time and big time experience
Milney being milney
bakes will take time
Joey better than most most weeks

I'm still not sure of gardiner/ gardiner. schneider and dempster but they are getting team time.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
matrix
Saintsational Legend

basically one bloke won us the game......

yeah yeah yeah, a wins a win.....but seriously it was the tigers, howd u reckon we would have faired playing that footy against the hawks or the crows?

not to friggin well i reckon.
ohh 4 and 3
in the 8
fantastic

back to injury riddled saint kilda

:roll:

no chance this year.....not with the likes of some of the inclusions that are going to have to come in now

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

better than last week matrix- a win that is and atleast at the moment we have players to come in

around this time last year ( hawks) we only had one player left on the list who could have played.- 3 almost debutants.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
matrix
Saintsational Legend

true saintbrat.

but its just so friggin frustrating.
we still havent shown what a force we all know we are yet.

now we have more injuries (again)

least milney pulled his finger out his bum and saved the day for us.
pies next week and they arent looking to flash either at the moment so we might scrape home another win with any luck.
Roos obviously gonna miss and G is just rooted and shouldnt be playing so whats this Allen like? heard good things
give the bloke a go, f**k it.....we have nothing to lose

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman,
We won last night and I feel good.
I've looked at teh ladder and I don't see an asterisk next to our '16 points' signifying that they are discounted because some fans didn't enjoy the way we won.

I haven't had a look over at 'Talking Rabble' or whatever they call themselves at the Richmond Forum, but I would be surprized if they are happy/excited/satisfied with their loss?

I'm a 'glass half full guy' and I see this as 1 less game we need to win to make the top 8.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I suppose if the win last night was put in perspective (apart from the Tigers kicking themselves out of a win) we have improved marginally. Make no mistake, the tigers are currently one of the in-form teams of the comp, we on the other hand are still trying to find our form (wherever the hell it's gone). 4 and 3...not terribly alarming at this stage of the season. I'll take a win no matter what! I thought for 2 horrible instances there last night we were going to get pipped at the post. Thank goodness the rest of my weekend can remain upbeat :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Cairnsman,
We won last night and I feel good.
I've looked at teh ladder and I don't see an asterisk next to our '16 points' signifying that they are discounted because some fans didn't enjoy the way we won.

I haven't had a look over at 'Talking Rabble' or whatever they call themselves at the Richmond Forum, but I would be surprized if they are happy/excited/satisfied with their loss?

I'm a 'glass half full guy' and I see this as 1 less game we need to win to make the top 8.
Yeah Magic this thread is definetly putting things into perspective.

It's funny I've watched the Geelong games the last few weeks and they haven't been convincing. Basically they are winning without playing good footy. I think this is supposed to be the sign of a good club.

Anyway here's my point, the saints in the past few seasons have been slow starters and really come home good towards the finals. The only difference in past seasons is that we have been crueled by injuries early in the season and have had a shabby win/loss by about the half way mark. So if we can keep the list in tack and be in a good ladder postion by the half way mark I think the team will come home strong.

The positives at this stage of season: (compared to the last few)

we have a better win/loss
injuries are to a minimal (last night wasn't good I know)
depth is a little better this year.
we have some ruckmen
we have some experineced recruits

just a foot note on the experienced recruits: M. Gardiner, Dempster and Snides. These guys haven't had many games with their new team and coach so logic sais they are a going to need a bit of time also to get into the swing of things.

super dooper
Club Player

Ill take the win and the 4 pts, but im one of those that wasnt satisfied with the result.

Despite the form richmond are in, we should have won by 5-6 goals comfortably, especially when we were 18 pts up in 3rd qrt.

In the context of our whole season the performance last night honestly didnt fill me with much confidence for the rest of the year.

Fact is, we are 4-3, have a bye and we really need to start finding some form and maybe just maybe start to play on instinct and play on and take chances.

I noticed last night when we were holding the ball in the air for the last 2 mins, the only player who took a mark and played on was harvs, the rest seemed content to play out the qrts. I dont think we have the precision for this to work for 2 mins of football at the end of the qrt. The port game showed us that as well as last night.

Richmond had 2 shots on goal in the last 2 mins, both after times when we had some "control" over the ball.

As for Kelvins Moore's mark - how many of u guys saw that in slow motion about 5 seconds in advance before he even took the mark? We were so richo consious we forgot to be goal side of a tall marking player in our defensive 50.

Richter
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Mate - it is only some sad sacks on here.

I hear what you say in the rest your post JB and it's fair enough - yes, Richmond are improving, we were a couple of players down, we found a way to win...... etc. From me that gives the blokes the big thumbs up for the final quarter to guts out the win.

But what worried me is these things.....

- 2nd time this year that we big time beaten in the middle.

- We did not look up to it in contested possession. so many times we had 2 players going for a loose ball, Tigers had 1 and it ended with a Richmond possession or ball-up. So frustrating.

- when we did win clearances the passing to the forwards was poor - kick it wildly into the right area, but not to the advantage of leading forwards - we must find a way of getting Dal and BJ on the ball more in the middle; unfortunately if we have to kick the ball over 35m, Lenny, Ball and Harvey are not exactly delivering it lace out.

Perhaps last night was the final revelation to me that this team is not destined to win a premiership. I'll carry on loving the Saints and will no doubt enjoy wins more in the future - but at te end of the game I felt flat. I just don't really believe that the team can improve sufficiently to be a force in September. I know, you're right, I'm being a sad sack :( :( :wink:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
esaint66
SS Life Member

The win felt pretty good for me last night :wink:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Someone once said to me that theres only 3 possibilities in the world of Saintsational

* St Kilda play well
* St Kilda play badly
* Umpires were rubbish

Never are we allowed to be simply outplayed by a better side.

Some of Richmonds clearance work last night would have held its own against anyone in the comp..its not automatitcally about St Kilda being rubbish.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor