no risks = no hope

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

no risks = no hope

from what i can see if we do happen to scrape into the finals we'll go straight out unless we show some daring at the selection table and with the game plan and structure.

give riewoldt a run on the wing this week against richmond. put blake on richo and give roo the other wing.

m. gardiner and mcevoy to ruck.

kosi to chf (for the entire match). dal santo to hff (for the entire match). give armitage the other flank.

gehrig to ff and allen and milne in the pockets.

i've heard all the arguments about "forward pressure" etc, but to me a forward's primary function is to get it and kick a goal ... and we know gehrig and milne can do that.

the other thing i'd like to see is our forwards actually playing in the forward line, rather than traipsing all over telstra dome/aami stadium worrying about what their opponent is doing.

i've had enough of the flooding bullsh*t and people trying to elevate football into some sort of a tactical science.

it is a simple game. you get it and kick a goal or move it quickly to a teammate in a better position than you. if they've got it then get it back. tackle and harass.

to me we're still too focussed on what our opponents are doing and this negative and defensive mindset is permeating the entire club.

we looked like we went into yesterday's match trying to limit the damage rather than trying to win a game of football.

for heaven's sake, try a few things before the season disappears into a sea of mediocrity. take some risks.

i'll ask you again, what do we have to lose? it's not as if a top two spot is at stake.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: no risks = no hope

in fact TAKING RISKS is one thing i'd like to see implemented across the board.

it is the one area that is missing from our make-up and the lack of such behaviour has become a hallmark of RL's teams

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:we looked like we went into yesterday's match trying to limit the damage rather than trying to win a game of football.

for heaven's sake, try a few things before the season disappears into a sea of mediocrity. take some risks.

i'll ask you again, what do we have to lose? it's not as if a top two spot is at stake.
i agree.
i would rather them take chances and back themselves in and take it on and lose by 8 goal than do what they did last night and lose by 20 odd points.

make some changes too....roo up the ground ive always liked.
and yeah, f@#k it play the kid in the ruck for one game against the tigers.
give him an early chance in his career.....u reckon he would of done any worse than what some ruckman dished up last night??
i doubt it.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Great post

Id also like to see how Maguire goes in the ruck too
Last edited by saintsrus on Sun 27 Apr 2008 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Before Im 85
mischa
Club Player

Just change it. :evil: Copy Geelong, WB, Hawthorn. We have as much firepower (or did) as those teams.

"Thanks korters. If Richmond kick more goals they'll win"-R.Scumbag (nee Walls)

The All Spin Zone-Saintsational.com
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:Great post

Id also like to see how Maguire goes in the ruck too
he's done it okay before ... granted it was pre-broken leg and a few years back but i'm all for lateral thought of this type.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

How do you think Goose would go as a forward? Clearly struggeling to keep in the side with his current form. He has a good build to be a power forward,can kick a ball a long way.

Dunno,he might be no good down there,but could be worth a crack?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:How do you think Goose would go as a forward? Clearly struggeling to keep in the side with his current form. He has a good build to be a power forward,can kick a ball a long way. Dunno,he might be no good down there,but could be worth a crack?

at his peak he looked well capable of it. in fact he seemed capable of anything.

he uses his body well in marking contests and has good hands and i often thought during our "glory days" of 2004-2005 he could have been interchangeable with riewoldt at chf if we were struggling.

he looks a different player now. no confidence. scared to take chances (perhaps for fear of being dropped or dragged) and seems obsessed with what his opponent is doing rather than making the play himself.

not the worst suggestion and could be the sort of thing that could jolt him back into some sort of form. guess you could try kosi chb, goose chf.

just try something is what i'm saying. seize the initiative rather than having our a#ses handed to us on a platter every week.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:from what i can see if we do happen to scrape into the finals we'll go straight out unless we show some daring at the selection table and with the game plan and structure.

give riewoldt a run on the wing this week against richmond. put blake on richo and give roo the other wing.

kosi to chf (for the entire match). dal santo to hff (for the entire match). give armitage the other flank.

i've heard all the arguments about "forward pressure" etc, but to me a forward's primary function is to get it and kick a goal ... and we know gehrig and milne can do that.

the other thing i'd like to see is our forwards actually playing in the forward line, rather than traipsing all over telstra dome/aami stadium worrying about what their opponent is doing.

i've had enough of the flooding bullsh*t and people trying to elevate football into some sort of a tactical science.

it is a simple game. you get it and kick a goal or move it quickly to a teammate in a better position than you. if they've got it then get it back. tackle and harass.

to me we're still too focussed on what our opponents are doing and this negative and defensive mindset is permeating the entire club.

we looked like we went into yesterday's match trying to limit the damage rather than trying to win a game of football.

That could be the slowest and tallest side in the history of footy. No hope of that happening. Explain how all the talls can fit in the forward line.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:That could be the slowest and tallest side in the history of footy. No hope of that happening. Explain how all the talls can fit in the forward line.
explain to me how well our forward line functioned last night. did we have many multiple goal-kickers or was it more kick-it-to-roo?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:That could be the slowest and tallest side in the history of footy. No hope of that happening. Explain how all the talls can fit in the forward line.
explain to me how well our forward line functioned last night. did we have many multiple goal-kickers?
So you think a forward line of Kosi, G Milne, Allen, Rooy and C gardiner would do better. Last night wasnt about the forward line it was and is always the way we play under RL about slow use of the ball and running back into defence. By the time we get it up forward they all manned up and outnumbered.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:So you think a forward line of Kosi, G Milne, Allen, Rooy and C gardiner would do better.
that wasn't what i said or anything like it.

the biggest move i'd make is to get riewoldt out of the forward line for a while and get him running around on the wing.

he'd probably drag about three defenders with him which will open up our forward line.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:So you think a forward line of Kosi, G Milne, Allen, Rooy and C gardiner would do better.
that wasn't what i said or anything like it.

the most important move i'd make is to get riewoldt out of the forward line for a while.
Yes move our leading goalkicker and get Allen in there. It is the midfield that is the problem not the forward line.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see how McGuire goes at Casey,even if they have a bye....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yes move our leading goalkicker and get Allen in there. It is the midfield that is the problem not the forward line.
if it's the midfield that's the problem then it can only benefit from riewoldt being more involved further up the ground.

btw, i'd have gehrig in before allen but i'd like to see both.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I'd like to see how McGuire goes at Casey,even if they have a bye....
:D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So lets get this straight.....

Roo is meant to attract the ball like a magnet.....

The fans biggest critiscism seems to be that the Saints don't go down the middle corridor often enough.....

So your solution is to put our biggest ball attractant on the wing??????

If the lure of Roo at FF will not make them more direct....then playing him on the wing certainly will not.

We also take a team without enough run...and make it slower?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Taking risks is more likely to get you laid.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:So lets get this straight..... Roo is meant to attract the ball like a magnet..... The fans biggest critiscism seems to be that the Saints don't go down the middle corridor often enough..... So your solution is to put our biggest ball attractant on the wing?????? If the lure of Roo at FF will not make them more direct....then playing him on the wing certainly will not. We also take a team without enough run...and make it slower?
how can it possibly be worse than what we witnessed last night? and what do we have to lose by taking some chances?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:Taking risks is more likely to get you laid.
can you guarantee that?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

well he aint going to get doubled and triple teamed if he plays up the ground or on the ball or on a wing is he?
when was the last time u saw a winger tagged by more than one opponent?

way i see it, if he is getting double teamed (at a minimum) then obviously the opposition is reading exactly where the clearance out the middle or the run from our backs is going to end up, and who's hands the intended kick is meant for.

but then again when u p*ss around with the footy across the back flanks like we have been doing lately pretty much the oppositions whole team has a chance to get on him.

i think with a diff game style and more of that run and attack from the back will see nick get more of the one on one contests and more leading marks at CHF.
with some of the decisions and inclusions we have seen from the coaching dept whats it going to hurt if he plays up the ground a bit???? :twisted:

six of one half a dozen of another :?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Carl,

If we continue with this bulls***, Id much rather not make the 8. Even making the 8 and bombing out will cover to some degree the crimes RL is committing against the St.Kilda FC.

He wants accountability? Wake up Ross, or you will get your accountability flying straight back at you in spades.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:well he aint going to get doubled and triple teamed if he plays up the ground or on the ball or on a wing is he? when was the last time u saw a winger tagged by more than one opponent?
interesting to note that richo is playing a similar role for richmond and is really enjoying being freed from the constraints of playing forward.

he kicked 4.1 today from a wing and was one of the best on ground, albeit in a losing team.

kalsaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:from what i can see if we do happen to scrape into the finals we'll go straight out unless we show some daring at the selection table and with the game plan and structure.

That could be the slowest and tallest side in the history of footy. No hope of that happening. Explain how all the talls can fit in the forward line.
I sort of agree with both of you.

I reckon we need to remove some of those talls from the forward area. Gehrig to FF but if this is not working put him at CHB (give him a job).

Goose needs a run or 2 or 3, in the two's until he regains form. Some on this forum were saying he wasnt playing that well in at Casey so why should he replace a possible enthusiatic young gun who is unpredictable?

Disagree about not worrying about opponents. Forward pressure is paramount or the opposition scores too freely. Our opoosition is generall faster than us. In 2004 this worked a treat and we atill had a fluent game style.

I am not too frightened to try to choke teams like Hawthorn as long as we do take the risk to move the ball forward quickly. This requires 2 tall forwards, one solids leading forward and a clear corridor. This will occur with forward pressure and disciplined team effort. Hawthorn dont play well under this game style.

Generally we do need to take some risks as the game style we currently show each week is predictale.

Put Maxie on Richo if he plays forward or switch Roos onto him if he goes to a wing. Roo mopped him up a couple of years ago doing this. I see Richo playing CHF if Max plays. Will need a taller player like Kosi/Gehrig if this occurs.

Focus should not be on Richo though. I needs to be on the midfield effort.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Rig should definitely come back in against Richmond. He should play from the goalsquare and be told not to leave the 50m arc. He is of no use anywhere else. Kosi can play CHF and 2nd ruck with Riewoldt roaming the forward line upto the wings.