Any AISLE 32-ers on this forum?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Newman
Club Player

Any AISLE 32-ers on this forum?

Everytime I wave my 'Another Saints Go Marching Win' banner (see avatar) at end of game - one bloke comes to front and abuses me silly saying 'he can't see'.

What really is there to see when the siren rings? Another old woman also yells to put the banner down. I just like to sing and celebrate when we have a win. If people around me want to jump up and go crazy and spin in the air - I don't care - we've won!!! Just wondering if anyone up the back of Aisle 32 objects. I try and hold it high and I put it down when if players run over to the fence but as I said - it's not much fun getting abused by Saints fans - and that's when we win!!

esaint66
SS Life Member

Re: Any AISLE 32-ers on this forum?

Newman wrote:Everytime I wave my 'Another Saints Go Marching Win' banner (see avatar) at end of game - one bloke comes to front and abuses me silly saying 'he can't see'.

What really is there to see when the siren rings? Another old woman also yells to put the banner down. I just like to sing and celebrate when we have a win. If people around me want to jump up and go crazy and spin in the air - I don't care - we've won!!! Just wondering if anyone up the back of Aisle 32 objects. I try and hold it high and I put it down when if players run over to the fence but as I said - it's not much fun getting abused by Saints fans - and that's when we win!!

I hear you mate loud and clear. I had mine on level 3 last week and got yelled at by bombers fans but i gave it back, but i really stung when i got yelled at by our fans. Thats why i liked waverly, more spread out and banner friendly if you get what i meen. :lol:

GRAMophone
Club Player

If you've gone to the trouble to take a saints banner to the ground your fellow supporters should applaud you!!
We need to provide both audible and visual support to our team.

It's not as if supporters can't move a little to the side after the game to get a clear view if they're stressed!

Keep up the good work.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

If the banner was blocking my view...I would definitely be one of those people to put the banner down. In an instant...I don't care what is written on it.

And to reverse your argument....where you ask whats their to see as soon as the siren ends..

..If there is nothing to see, who are you showing and banner to, and why?

Sam23
SS Life Member

Even if it said

"Mini is a gun"?

Goddard.
Newman
Club Player

Spinner, with respect, one could also say why doesn't the Cheer Squad just pack up and go home when the siren goes. I'm sure the TV cameras appreciate banners, flags and fans at a game and at the conclusion. It's just my way of celebrating a win. I only raise it when we win and it stays up for the theme song ... but Spinner it does appear that some fans like yourself and as St Edward experienced - don't appreciate this sort of fan celebration - which is fair enough. Each to his own.

Personally, I'd love to hear some group chanting and singing on Level 1 that the Saints fans provide on the Moorabbin wing. I just love that passion.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Aisle 31 here - carry on ;)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Newman wrote:Spinner, with respect, one could also say why doesn't the Cheer Squad just pack up and go home when the siren goes. I'm sure the TV cameras appreciate banners, flags and fans at a game and at the conclusion. It's just my way of celebrating a win. I only raise it when we win and it stays up for the theme song ... but Spinner it does appear that some fans like yourself and as St Edward experienced - don't appreciate this sort of fan celebration - which is fair enough. Each to his own.

Personally, I'd love to hear some group chanting and singing on Level 1 that the Saints fans provide on the Moorabbin wing. I just love that passion.
Why is it so difficult to understand people like to actually see the game, the players, the ground.

Would really enjoy my 'celebration' if I sat exactly one seat in front of you and held my banner up after every goal, and at the end of the match.

Seriously.

Who gets joy out of holding a banner up anyways....You can't read it. All it is, is a selfish celebration in which to draw attention to ones self. IE Cameras, other fans, players.

Now, this is only if I was behind you, which i'm not, hence my over debating over it.

Now on a different note. At the last Geelong game (two weeks ago) my younger brother proceeded to stand up as the play neared the boundary line and became quite intense just before going over.

Setting the scene. We are in the Social club Level One area. Three middle aged blokes behind, myself with my brother to the right and my parent to the left.

The bloke behind me leaps over and yanks my brother top down, yelling sit down. My younger brother wasn't even at full stretch yet.

I can tell you know, the incident caught me by surprise. By the time it had sunk in, only a few long glaring stares were realistic enough. But i tell you what, If that guy (or anyone else) even thinks about touching, especially my youngest brother again, I would clock him into next week. Yeh, Blah blah Internet hero and all that....But thats what id do.

Say what you want. St Kilda supporter or not. But don't dare touch, push or pull someone. Especially a kid under 15.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Any AISLE 32-ers on this forum?

Newman wrote:Everytime I wave my 'Another Saints Go Marching Win' banner (see avatar) at end of game - one bloke comes to front and abuses me silly saying 'he can't see'.

Newman...I am not in 32....but if you want an honest answer...here goes...

From your pic...your banner is not small...indeed it is huge.

If I was sitting behind you...I could not just crane my neck like I might when a kid waves a flag. You would be blocking...and possibly obliterating my view.

What is there to see when the siren goes????

Well that all depends on the moment....if it is disappointing loss it may be Harvey on his haunches...

If it is a glorious win then I will be belting out the club song and eagerly watching the going on of the players on the field......they may be hugging, chairing someone off........or I may be just seeking to enjoy that moment of victory with them.....more so if the win is by less than a goal.

Now if we won by a point...and you blocked my view with your large banner....then I would most likely be communicating that to you....and rather annoyed that you had blocked my view at such a time.

When the siren goes....is the penultimate time of the match.

You have had two people indicate to you that you are blocking their view. Indeed you are just not just blocking their view, but are robbing them of their moment to celebrate.

Most people do not like to complain and especially in public...and so if two have complained possibly 20 would like to have.

You obviously enjoy it...but is your right to enjoyment more than the other 2...or 20????? Is it your right to celebrate...and deny them theirs??

They have paid to view the ground and not the back of you banner.

As an alternative
....why not wait a minute or two...till the seats thin...and then position yourself with your banner so you are not blocking people???
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 23 Apr 2008 11:48pm, edited 3 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

It's an interesting one, I have no problem with it but I believe there are limits, when a goal is scored you can wave it for about 15 seconds IMO, and when the siren goes you can't really hold it up for much longer than that either, when the siren goes and when a goal is scored the flags are waved and the signs go up, that is when people go nuts, you can't just hold a sign up non stop.

But good work with the sign, it looks great and your passion is appreciated...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Scottish Saint
Club Player

My reserved seat is near the back of Aisle 32 so I'd just like to assure Newman it's not me who's abusing him (you'd guess that from the accent anyway).

Milne
Club Player

it's too big dude, put it away or get a smaller banner.

Newman
Club Player

Hmmm some interesting comments. I guess the best feedback is from anyone down the back in Aisle 32. I do take people's feelings into consideration. I stand up in the aisle and raise it high so as not to cause an obstruction - and I would have thought with a bit of a tilt of your head you could still see pretty much a main view. Hey - if that Saints won by a point i the dying moments, or Rob Harvey was being chaired off the ground it would be a different matter. On the point of Spinner's brother - I'm with you. You don't push, pull or touch anyone. That's just not on.

And maybe if this one bloke didn't address me with a barrage of 4 lettter words I might take his request on board. Verbal abuse can be just as intimidating as a 'shove.' But as I stated - I'm just wondering how the view is at the end of game from Saints fans in Aisle 32.

And 'selfish celebrator' or not - may we all get to celebrate many more victories at the Dome and especially on that one day in September!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Newman wrote:
and raise it high so as not to cause an obstruction -
How would that help..unless you are in almost the last row??

The seating is on a slope.....so if you hold it high so the people in the row behind can see...you just block the people further back.

It really get back to whether you believe your right to show.....is more than others right to see... ?????

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Newman
Club Player

PS Just one more thing. For past 3 years I've been living in Brisbane - but still have 2 memberships and 2 reserved seats ... so the two people that don't enjoy my celebrating will be pleased to know that I can only make it for 3 more home games ..... but, of course, I can always leave the banner for someone else to wave!! :lol:

Lenny_Hayes7
Club Player

I reckon stuff them all mate honestly ffs there are alot worse things to be worrying about in the world!!! :roll:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

It's all about consideration of others .........BOTH WAYS !!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i once had a lady in front of me tell us to quiet down, and this is after nothing more than normal celebrating.....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

This is a really interesting read.....my first reaction was ...wave away...who cares. But I having read the posts I am shifting my view. I would be really annoyed if we had won by 2 points after a mighty comeback and your banner stopped me form seeing my players celebrate. At the same time I don't want to infringe on your right to have a banner. So I think you will have to pick your moments and be REALLY sensitive to who is behind you.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i once had a lady in front of me tell us to quiet down, and this is after nothing more than normal celebrating.....
my split personality would deff perk up i reckon....
its not the ballet.... shhhhhhesh

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I once had a HUGE flag which was handmade - particularly for a game between Brisbane and the Saints - which was about the only time I got to see the Saints play, living at Brisbane. Anyway, that game ... we got absolutely smashed... it's years ago... we lost by around 100 points.
I waved it at the first goal - and the guy screamed out "Don't wave that every time they score a goal". Well, it was aged before we scored our next. And then it was really late in the game, and someone from the crowd screams out - "Hey mate, you could sell that - St. Kilda flag, barely used".

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i once had a lady in front of me tell us to quiet down, and this is after nothing more than normal celebrating.....
I must say sitting in the social club has lead to many a old lady or grumpy old man telling me to quiet down. I am curious about what peoples views are about swearing, especially if it's just one big outburst? (yes I tend to hold everything up, try and not get upset by the umpires and then sometimes really let it go)....

Also a few other things that I find interesting, does anyone get really annoyed at opposition fans clapping our mistakes or behinds. I find that soft as. Also whats with people spending the whole match bagging certain players, I have actually asked a few supporters why they bother to come, since all they do is bitch and moan?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
matrix
Saintsational Legend

the only prob i have with swearing is doing it really badly in front of kids.....
calling someone a "usless fffing c*@t who needs glasses to make correct holding the ball decisions" in front of kids and their parents usually doesnt go down to well.....
ill get loud but i actually try and refrain from swearing.....it aint easy tho

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Newman,keep holding up your banner FFS! If it's blocking 6% of some 'wowsers' vision of a game that's already finished,tell them to get stuffed. The club needs more supporters like you with passion and add a sense of colour to a once loud army. These days half of them are precious spoilt little roof dwellers who wouldn't know atmosphere if it bit them on the ass! Seriously the last 3-4 years the noise at our games from our supporters is pathetic. The animal cage culture is now long gone,and the level two corporate box- sushi eating culture has taken over.

That game the other week against the dogs was an embarrassment,the dogs made 20 times more noise! The dogs FFS! One of the smallest noiseless crowds there is. We were once the angry mob down at Moorabbin to now the one's who acccept bad umpiring without a cry,what happened to the angry roar!?

The game is being diluted into netball rapidly,Newman keep holding up your banner, if they don't like a bit of passion after a victory then the AFL have succeded in ruining the game

GrumpyOne

Solution for you Newman

Hold it up in front of your face.

If there is nothing to see, then you won't miss anything.

And others who want to see, can.