Riewoldt hurt but Baker is raring to go (from The Age)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

vantheman
Club Player

Riewoldt hurt but Baker is raring to go (from The Age)

Riewoldt hurt but Baker is raring to go

Lyall Johnson | April 23, 2008

AFTER serving a seven-match ban, partially carried over from round 20 last season, St Kilda tagger Steven Baker will almost certainly take the field against Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium.

Baker was banned for serious rough conduct after his deliberate bump on Fremantle's Jeff Farmer left him with a broken nose, lacerated upper lip and concussion.

But while Baker is a virtual certainty, the St Kilda match committee is still to decide on whether key forward Fraser Gehrig will play this weekend. Coach Ross Lyon suggested that while Gehrig would be playing football, "it's where he plays — he'll be playing interstate somewhere, it's whether it's Tasmania or Adelaide".

And yesterday, skipper Nick Riewoldt left the training track early, clutching his right buttock after seemingly feeling tightness in the muscle. The key forward came back to training 15 minutes later but completed only a number of light run-throughs and sidesteps before again leaving the ground for treatment.

A club spokesman played down the injury scare, saying Riewoldt was fine.

Baker's return will be a big boost for the Saints, the former club best-and-fairest and uncompromising tagger a much-respected member of the side.

"He's ready to play, I'm keen to play him. He's a best-and-fairest winner. We lost a backman in (Sam) Gilbert. Again, it's got to go to match committee, I haven't got the sole say but I have got a fair bit of input, so I'm pretty keen to see him play," Lyon said.

"He's a very fit player, he's mentally tough and he's been training all summer. He played all the NAB Cup virtually. His fitness isn't an issue. We respect him and value him. I think he just looks forward and ticks off the sessions and the weeks as they go. You pay the price and you move on. Everyone fundamentally loves playing football. It's his passion and he's clearly missed that."

Gehrig's chance of returning has been boosted by the hamstring injury to Steven King and the fact that Michael Gardiner is still not ready to return from his calf strain. Their absence leaves the Saints light-on for talls despite Lyon's optimism.

"No doubt (King's injury) gives him (Gehrig) an opportunity, but we have match committee (today) with the other coaches … and we'll discuss the balance of the team and where Fraser sits within that," he said. "Young Jarryd Allen kicked six goals at Bendigo on the weekend and took 12 marks … six contested marks, so he'll come into consideration as well.

"They (Brendon Lade and Dean Brogan) are two formidable ruckmen, no doubt about that. But Justin Koschitzke rucks, we've got (Michael) Rix, young Ben McEvoy played really well in the seconds, our first-round draft pick, and Jason Blake can ruck. We don't think there's a shortage of ruckmen here."

markinUSA
SS Life Member

If Roo is in doubt... if there is a shred of doubt... then it's not worth risking him. He's too valuable. The whole shape of the team depends how he gets through the week.

Without M. Gardiner and King, then Kosi will have to ruck a lot more.

And without Kosi in the forward line, and with Roo not 100% (even if he is selected), I'd bring back the G-Train.

I'll tell you a few reasons why:

1. Probably the most important reason for me - I like the man! He's a character... and we need more of them!

(Hey, I'm being honest - I'm a fan!)

2. I would just want to have a big fella as a back up... so we're not too short.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i say give mcevoy a shot

so MG is out, will schneids be playing?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:i say give mcevoy a shot

so MG is out, will schneids be playing?
so why just give mcevoy a shot...surely he has to earn it???

why give the opposition an extra man advantage if he isnt ready for afl yet?

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
starsign
Club Player

so why just give mcevoy a shot...surely he has to earn it???

why give the opposition an extra man advantage if he isnt ready for afl yet?

and for what its worth , although it was a while ago and the games obviously changed, Big Carl played his first game in the opening round of the season agaist Melbourne young enough to play in the TAC
He was recruited at the end of the previous season following the saints annual U17 lightening premiership at the old Junction Oval
He went straight into the Seniors As mentioned 1st game next season...and was BOG while the rest of us they signed up went on and played in the Saints 3rds / U19's that year Moran was one that eventually made it through to the seniors in later years

I'm a bit in two minds about throwing him up against the PA combo , but then what the hell, theres a lot more rules in place to protect young ruckmen these days , and the ageing Barassi would have loved to have nailed Ditto especially after the blond bombshell ran past , ruffled his hair and told him he was too old!
theres a famous shot from the game taken at a boundary thrown with Big Carl riding on Barassis shoulders

anyway forgive an old sainter for reminiscing just thought I'd take a trip back merory lane!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

brilliant....no rucks and now a sniff that the CHF might be rested due to tightness.
yep...its looking better and better. :cry:

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt hurt but Baker is raring to go (from The Age)

vantheman wrote:And yesterday, skipper Nick Riewoldt left the training track early, clutching his right buttock after seemingly feeling tightness in the muscle
Let the rumours commence!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt hurt but Baker is raring to go (from The Age)

Otiman wrote:
vantheman wrote:And yesterday, skipper Nick Riewoldt left the training track early, clutching his right buttock after seemingly feeling tightness in the muscle
Let the rumours commence!
not his shoulder again :p

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

concern re injury to Riewoldt
mentioned by one of the training watchers

saint4life