Maybe Roo should king hit someone outside a pub

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

my les foote
Club Player

Maybe Roo should king hit someone outside a pub

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/b ... 51531.html

Brett Voss' brother was a sensational player and an inspirational leader but I find it difficult to listen to his moralising and talking about class.
THE personal insult a St Kilda player directed to Essendon's Andrew Lovett last Friday night clearly crossed the line of sportsmanship, according to triple premiership captain Michael Voss.

Voss said yesterday that it was a "cop-out" to blame match broadcaster Channel Seven for airing the sledge — "You bash your f------ missus, mate" — after it was picked up in an umpire's microphone during a dust-up involving several players just before three-quarter-time.

The insult, Voss said, should simply never have been uttered.

While Lovett indicated in a conversation with a senior Essendon official on Saturday that he did not want to lodge a complaint, the head of the AFL Players Association, Brendon Gale, said the comment was "at the outermost extremity" of gamesmanship.

Voss went further, saying he would be embarrassed if he was the St Kilda player.

"I think there's definitely a line, and in many ways, it's just called class.

"I, as much as anyone, was into the mental gamesmanship that you play but … it was more based around their performance. I don't ever recall actually bringing off-the-field stuff onto the field and I would be dead-set embarrassed if I did," the former Brisbane Lions captain said.

"There's a way to do that, to get under peoples' skin, and there's another way not to do it. There's an unwritten code, if you want to call it that. There's nothing in black and white that describes that currently, other than whether you want to play the game in true sportsmen fashion and in a classy way, or whether you want to go about it a different way.

"Anything along those lines, of such a personal nature like that, I find is breaching that barrier."....

Win it for HIM!
karnak
Club Player

seems like there are a lot of wife beaters out there trying to ban this sort of sledging.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

forgive me for not having much sympathy for anyone who beats up on a woman.

lovett is fair game i would have thought and i can't understand why voss and caro are leaping to his defence.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Voss is a flog
Didnt mind his brother being crashed into when we played the Lions, in fact helped out.
What happens on the field stays on the field, what a hypocrite. :roll:

Before Im 85
Lennon
Club Player

That this guy can go on about what is "classy" on-field... or talk about some unwritten code of conduct!!

Michael Voss, you have deadset made a fool of yourself.

bozza1980
Club Player

It is amazing how quickly former players can forget their past exploits.

Voss trying to slam sledging, next we'll have Madonna slamming pre maritial sex!!!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/v ... 49226.html

I'm not sure where Greg's tongue is planted -0 firmly in his check or straight up?
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 22 Apr 2008 4:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Keep Going Vossy.
This is the guy the AFL wants to coach the new Gold Coast team?
Who would the AFL hope would be the player to headline that team?
ROO of course.
Yep, keep going Vossy - I'm sure Roo would love to play for you!

And, who was the captain of the Brions who publicly applauded his teammates for 'attacking' the seriously injured Riewoldt that night in Brisbane?
WHat was it? Oh that's right - anything on the field is o.k. Like sledging and belting your brother.

And I've looked everywhere but I still ahven't been able to find the article he wrote criticising his own teammate Alastair Lynch for trying to 'king-hit' Darryl Wakelin in the GF?
Oh, that's right. Anything that happens on the field is o.k.

I would love to know what RL did to upset Brett Voss so much?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

regardless of the team involved this is really blown out of proportion

it isnt racist...its just stating fact...

kudos to roo for getting involved and pissing people off and getting a reaction...i was skeptical at his captaincy appointment but last weeks game proved he is more than capable...and its great to see we have a true leading captain

keep it up roo and continue to let the non-racist insults fly...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Lennon
Club Player

I'm really not sure what Greg Baum is trying to get at.

starsign
Club Player

"But at the same time, I think you've still got to take ownership of your behaviour. If it becomes public, so be it because you've still done it and you've got to live up to it and take it on the chin and realise that in today's world, there are cameras around … you have a responsibility that your behaviour is adequate," he said
seems he's attempting to preach from the personal experience standpoint
That was beautiful camera footage of the Voss king hit used in the recent legal proceedings against him

anyway his initial premis is questionable.....
how can a mere statement of factual truth be deemed a personal insult
Journalists use this every day of the week to defend libel accusations

as i mentioned in another post
any four year old will tell you that you can never get into trouble for telling the truth

even though the truth hurts sometimes , but as the man said ....if the cap fits wear it!

Roo is more than a mere champion on the field....hes a Saint!

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Without knowing a thing about what actually happened in the leadup other than what I could see... allow me to imply via innuendo, you may infer.

I find it of interest that it's Lovett and Montagna who were scuffling at the beginning of this scrap that contains such an irrelivant (to the match) sledge.

I believe, like many, that just about anything can be said in the sporting arena provided it doesn't take on taboo subjects like racism, sexism or the level of vulgarity of the Selwood/Hedland incident. Whether it should is another matter entirely, for once the line in the sand is crossed, your entire life becomes fair game... so if you're going to cast the first stone, you'd better be without sin.

To go there with Lovett certainly would leave Montagna open.

Some media personalities are dissapointed the AFL is not doing more... I for one suspect that the sledge in question was not the only one uttered, and the players involved aren't really interested ina trip to the principals office. I suspect there's more than one player wouldn't emerge lily white.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Some media personalities are dissapointed the AFL is not doing more..
of course they are, they love a "big" or different news story to get through the footy slump days of Tuesday and Wednesday!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Lennon wrote:I'm really not sure what Greg Baum is trying to get at.
Greg Baum lost his way about 2-3 years back.

Sad, because up until then, he was a wonderfully insightful columnist.

Now, if he's not bagging the A-League, Melbourne Victory or their supporters, he's just re-writing Caro's columns with a supposedly fan-friendly bent.
Last edited by evertonfc on Tue 22 Apr 2008 1:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

funny if i recall correctly didnt joey and milne cop a fair ammount on the feild for their unfortunate incedent in 2004 ? i would wage my house M Voss would of used personal attacks as sledging on the feild ... as for lovett if you dont want to be called a wife beater ..... DONT BEAT YOUR WIFE !!!!! you reckon Fev has grounds to compalin for the media making fun of his lack of bladder control ? or maybe Roo should complain everytime he gets called sooky sooky lala after the bris crying saga ??

must be a slow news week for this crap to see the light of day

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:Keep Going Vossy.

Played him in the 2's and made him face reality that he must retire... Clearly he is jaded because of this...

Brett Voss came out on the weekend and agreed with his brother that the saints had some 'selfish' players...

To my reckoning, the only player who was selfish last year was Brett himself, as he didnt do the honerable thing and retire when it was clearly evident the game was past him..

He kept trying to scab out as many games as he could, for his own reputation, even though he was pathetic all last year and was a hindrence to the team...

Obviously has no mirrors in his house..

As for M. Voss... I cannot understand why he is held in such high esteem in the media, and touted as a master coach in waiting... I iwsh he got the Carlton job, as this guy has no idea whatsoever... He is the next Tim Watson IMO..

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:

Played him in the 2's and made him face reality that he must retire... Clearly he is jaded because of this...

Brett Voss came out on the weekend and agreed with his brother that the saints had some 'selfish' players...

To my reckoning, the only player who was selfish last year was Brett himself, as he didnt do the honerable thing and retire when it was clearly evident the game was past him..
Didn't see the writing on the wall in '07 after playing a measly 23 Games at AFL level in '06? Shame on him. How dare he actually play at VFL level when dropped and continue to attempt to compete for a spot in the side.

I think it's a credit to him that after that season, he recognised the end and quietly retired, rather than publicly pushing for a trade or chasing a new home in the PSD for one more. Not a big deal by any means, but he read the writing on the wall and retired accordingly.

As far as I'm aware, he's never been anything but a class act for St. Kilda, and given the response of the Saints to the article, it doesn't seem that either he or Brett Voss were out of line with the article, or airing laundry that the Saints weren't comfortable with last week.

What Brett has to do with the editorial on the sledge I don't know. Michael's certainly earned the right to his opinion on the subject.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Richter
SS Life Member

I posted last week that I thought the MV's article was waffle. Do a few people perhaps agree now trhat Michael Voss is really only interested in number one. I mean seriously - this is just utter crap. As if Michael Voss was the paragon of virtue.

The guy clearly has an issue with St Kilda - who knows why?

Very sad that Brett got involved in any of this - after having been a loyal servant of the club, he should know better.

Greg Baum - an embarassing article from a usually eloquent journalist.

Like some others on here I try not to get caught up to much in a persecution complex - you know, the AFL, media etc. hate St Kilda. But when nonsense like this gets blown up it's hard to see it any other way.

There are clearly elements within the football establishment and media who have an anti-St Kilda bias. Best thing that we as a club can do is onfield - SHOVE IT UP 'EM BOYS.
Last edited by Richter on Tue 22 Apr 2008 1:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Sobraz wrote:

What Brett has to do with the editorial on the sledge I don't know. Michael's certainly earned the right to his opinion on the subject.
I find it curious that Michael Voss who hasn't written 2 articles about any club manages to write 2 about the Saints in the space of 4 days.

There can be no question IMHO that his 'editorial' last week was fuelled by info given to him by Brett. The fact that Brett 'popped up' on radio to make the '12 players are selfish' comments leads me to think that he had 'an axe to grind'.
No-one should ever undersetimate the selfless acts he performed for us on the field. I just wonder if he left the Club with bitter feelings?
Maybe he and his brother will become a 'double act' Coach/Assistant at the new Gold Coast club?

I look forward to him taking 'disciplinary action' against any of his players who choose to do what he did, rather than what he said.

Again IMHO it is a very hupocritical article given his playing history.
I will never forget that day at TD when he 'battered' his brother from pillar to post (off the ball).
Obviously under teh M.Voss Rule that is acceptable unlike having a go at a person who 'beat' his wife/girlfriend/partner who is in a fracas with one of your teammates?

BakesFan
SS Life Member

It's such a shame 'White Line Fever' is no longer on air. I'd be calling in to tear strips of Vossy's comments. Talk about double standards!! :x :x

Vale, Clinton Grybas. You are sadly missed.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:It's such a shame 'White Line Fever' is no longer on air. I'd be calling in to tear strips of Vossy's comments. Talk about double standards!! :x :x

Vale, Clinton Grybas. You are sadly missed.
R.I.P clinton!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I cannot believe that people even care what Voss has written. He is entilted to his opinion and hearing Brendan Gale today he even said Rooy was close to over stepping the line and IMO he was very close as well. I think people can sledge all they like but getting personnal even if it is true maybe close to overstepping the boundries.

The question I would put is if it happened to one of our players eg Michael gardiner would we be happy.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The question I would put is if it happened to one of our players eg Michael gardiner would we be happy.
everyone has a skeleton or two in the closet and it's just something you have to learn to live with ... including the sledges.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The question I would put is if it happened to one of our players eg Michael gardiner would we be happy.
everyone has a skeleton or two in the closet and it's just something you have to learn to live with ... including the sledges.
I think you will find that 99% of sledges are not personal. Most players respect each other and lets face it they could be playing with each other the next year. I think you will find Rooy wishes he had said something else to sledge.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think you will find Rooy wishes he had said something else to sledge.
i'm sure he does, but i have limited sympathy for a bloke who beats up on his missus