Milne, great effort

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

widereceiver
Club Player

Milne, great effort

OK, he stuffed up twice in the 3rd. Q, one of those was because there was no-one to go to, but I thought an excellent effort.

In ice hockey it's called fore-checking and I thought throughout he played a good team game.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
rexy
SS Life Member

Think he is playing some of the best defensive and team footy of his career, the longer he commits himself to this game the better he will get at knowing when to pass and when to shoot, when to play on and when to hold it up etc. An excellent effort by Stevie, I thought he was gone at the start of the year, Schneider had his spot and and it was only a matter of time before he was dropped. I was wrong.

Maybe this year?
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

and the fifty metre penalty was the worst decision of the night.

he was pinged for been in the exclusion zone (?) whilst he ran around the side trying to get to the mark

he was not part of the play at the time and was clearly not impacting on the player with the ball

if they are going to pay those then they have to pay it every time a player runs around the back of the player with the ball, when they are trying to trail their opponent, often they bump into the player with the ball and that is never given as 50

go milney you star

rexy
SS Life Member

was a disgrace I agree, Buckley was straight on to it whilst boof head Ox tried to say it was there.

Maybe this year?
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

its about time Milney got the recognition he deserves

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

He kicked 2 goals at crucial points as well, great game

Before Im 85
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://saints.com.au/tabid/5315/Default ... wsid=58186
"I always do it but it’s never too late to change and I’ve really got to get it out of my game," he said after the game. "A couple of times there were crucial parts where I stuffed the kick or played on when I should have held it up.

"I’ve really got to work on it and the coach was pretty angry because I should have held it up."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Most promising thing, was that he seemed to react from being dragged and the message Lyon gave him, Milne must have taken on board.

Carpe Diem
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Was just about a barometer of the Saints last night.

First half was really good with the ground ball. I believe Houli was running off him, but he was playing a team game pressure wise and I wasn't worried about who his individual opponent was because his general pressure was good.

3rd quarter, against the flow he presented well, but just couldn't quite finish the deal... A couple of bad decisions with the ball and he just about undid all the good work getting the ball.

4th quarter he settled, was getting the ball a little deeper and making better decisions. A couple of goals to help put the game out of reach of the Bombers topped what ends up as a fantastic game for Milne and the Saints.when your small forward gets 7 marks, it says he's thoroughly beaten his opponent (Reimer in the 2nd half?).

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
esaint66
SS Life Member

I heard he went to seee the club psycologist or a psycoligist in order to change his game style and all though at some times last night it would have been better to see the milne of old he played his new sort of game. Very noticeable and very well done milney. loved his goal in the last :D

gooner
Club Player

saint edward wrote:I heard he went to seee the club psycologist or a psycoligist in order to change his game style and all though at some times last night it would have been better to see the milne of old he played his new sort of game. Very noticeable and very well done milney. loved his goal in the last :D
Interestingly his two in the last were much more like the Milne of old. Whilst it's great to see him doing the team thing too many times he seems to look around for options, scared of being seen a selfish player, instead of playing by instinct. It's the attitude I feel alot of the boys have - If they stuff up following team rules then it's not really their fault. Milne's entire career has been based upon him scoring cheeky goals and I think it's about getting that balance right.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I tend to think small forwards need to be a bit "selfish" and go for goal a bit more. I was very happy with Milnes efforts in the first two qtrs and he se up his bigger forwards.

May sound contradictory, however I believe he needs to be get the balance right which is difficult under match conditions.

Overall a good game by Mr Milne.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
savatage
SS Life Member

A good game in the finish but will mean nothing if he doesn't get a kick next week. Needs to show this determination every week!

milney044
Club Player

Solid game milnedog. The encouraging thing is his ability to bounce back when he's made a few errors. A few years back, one mistake from yapper and he'd have no effect on the rest of the game. Then again he used to be benched for considerably long periods..anyway his work ethic this year has gone up a notch and he's obviously done some work on his tackling. 21 possessions and 2 goals is a very productive game for a small forward, keep it up milney.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Behind Play
Club Player

rexy wrote:was a disgrace I agree, Buckley was straight on to it whilst boof head Ox tried to say it was there.
The quicker they get ride of Gesham, the better. Couldn't play, couldn't coach and cannot advise.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

he isnt as dumb as people think he is

he is an enigma...he will continue to frustrate us big time however

damn good to see him get dragged after stuffing up and come back and play a more than meaningful part

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
spert
Saintsational Legend

A better effort from Milne, but he needs to string together team-orientated performances against the top teams then he will have taken the next step.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah the little weasel did ok.....saw him chase and tackle a fair bit, was very team orientated last night.
hopefully its not just a one off game.
he has the talent and the skill to be very very dangerous.......just something seems to keep holding him back.
desire? laziness?......dunno :?:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Did well at times, was absolutely abysmal at others.

I understand errors being made, but the type of errors he makes are just so bad that it's difficult to acknowledge his better games, of which last night was one.

The frustrating thing is that he doesn't need to play on when he's in the forward 50m.

The best things he does are no longer the elusive things; I'd trade all his flashy antics for someone who chases, harrasses, kicks two goals from set shots and sets up three more.

There was one goal...I can't remember who kicked it, but it was Milne who set it up, firing a pass right through traffic to the open player - that kind of stuff makes me think he can be a hugely valuble contributor if his decision making was improved.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saints43
Club Player

I thought he had a great game. Great.

He made things happen.

And when things went wrong - as they will when you are taking the game on - he tried again and again.

He covered a lot of ground as well. He has taken on a lot more responsibilty in the last 3-4 years. Good on him IMO.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It should be very encouraging to Saints people that Milne appears to be working very hard on improving himself and subsequently his worth to the St Kilda cause.

It is a very strong attribute of ones character to be able to receive as much critiquing as Milne does and actually accept 'it' and then work on 'it'.

We are all seeing his style change before us, even his post-goal celebrations have toned down. Historically Milne hasn't played so well against Port Adelaide at AAMI stadium and so this is a huge week for him.

Ice Wolf
Club Player

I think Lyon must have put the fear of god into him or something, great team effort from him he seemed to be scared to do anything that might have been seen a selfish to the point that at some times it was detrimental, but I'd still prefer this Milne to the selfish, high risk low reward Milne we usually get.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I like the fact that he is working to become a better player. Still does some silly things but Fri saw him kick some true "Milney" goals, apply some good forward pressure, and do the team thing with some assists and centering kicks. All good.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I've always been a big fan of Milney! Personally I think we've sapped the natural talent aspect out of him, but if that's the case he's certainly adapted well to playing the game he's expected to play! Remember how accurate he was when he was playing his old "flashy" style of game?? Absolutely deadly! I question where his accurateness has gone at times. He's still an extremely valuable player none-the-less!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:its about time Milney got the recognition he deserves
Lets not go too far....