Clash Strips - What happened to them?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

So the precedent has been set?

Does this mean that WE won't be required to wear that white thing in the return match? !!

ace
Saintsational Legend

I seem to remember this discussed a long time back.
Seemed the problem was Essendon had to play in black with a red sash because it had been voted into their constitution or something.
Only the members could change it.
It is easy for the club to get the members to vote against an AFL initiative.
The AFL should say that is fine.
That is a $250,000 fine.
Then the club may persuade the S--- & Dung members to be less arrogant.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:I seem to remember this discussed a long time back.
Seemed the problem was Essendon had to play in black with a red sash because it had been voted into their constitution or something.
Only the members could change it.
It is easy for the club to get the members to vote against an AFL initiative.
The AFL should say that is fine.
That is a $250,000 fine.
Then the club may persuade the S--- & Dung members to be less arrogant.
The AFL already have the power to direct any/all clubs to wear uniforms/strips as directed by the AFL. As I have already stated, the AFL don't have the b@lls to stand up to Essendon or Collingwood !!

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:the AFL don't have the b@lls to stand up to Essendon or Collingwood !!
... the 2 most powerful and respected teams.... ;)

What's being missed here is... The AFL... is a body empowered by the individual clubs. The AFL really has no right to tell any club what to wear. The AFL is about fixtures and media income and that's where it should end.

The AFL is an ASS.

HELLO... the AFL are inflating our currency with 2 new teams/shops... the extra merchandise will come from the existing teams. And our Saints board says... NOTHING!!!

The AFL genie needs putting back in it's box, before the whole game is ruined and no-one attends.

Essendon and Collingwood - I stand and salute you both.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:
Eastern wrote:the AFL don't have the b@lls to stand up to Essendon or Collingwood !!

What's being missed here is... The AFL... is a body empowered by the individual clubs. The AFL really has no right to tell any club what to wear. The AFL is about fixtures and media income and that's where it should end.

The AFL is an ASS.

HELLO... the AFL are inflating our currency with 2 new teams/shops... the extra merchandise will come from the existing teams. And our Saints board says... NOTHING!!!

The AFL genie needs putting back in it's box, before the whole game is ruined and no-one attends.

You are right. The way it is going no one will attend or watch on TV. But how come there are record crowds and in the paper today record numbers waching footy shows on TV.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
aussierules0k wrote:

The AFL is an ASS.

You are right. The way it is going no one will attend or watch on TV. But how come there are record crowds and in the paper today record numbers waching footy shows on TV.
population growth? :P

interestingly they didn't get the bombers to wear the red shorts. Thought that would be one sensible option, instead of them wearing white shorts.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Now... this will sound rather trollish... it's not meant to.

Over the life of the VFL/AFL the Bumbers and Filth have won shyte loads of flags and played in heaps of finals. They have a long, long tradition of winning in their famous jumpers. Unfortunately, our tradition is one of wine women and song... so I suppose it's not unreasonable that Saints fans aren't so worried about tradition. Traditional nobodies in the eyes of the AFL - therefore we can be pushed around by the AFL. The yellow peril jumper was a disgrace. There's no way we would ever have agreed to wear that in the last 100 years, but come 2000, we have no choice or voice.

Population Increase V Football Club Members.

The Melb population has tripled - yet the crowd figures are much the same if not less than the old home and away games at smaller grounds.
In the 60's kids were kicking footies everywhere in the streets and parks. Footy was the ONLY topic at work or school. Every car had a club sticker. 50 years later, no kids to be seen and footy hardly ever gets a mention at work.

And if you think I'm gonna be interested in watching a Saints V ClubFromThinAir you've got to be joking.

Question... IF the AFL demanded we change our logo for some reason... would we? Being Saints fans - many here would say yes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Now... this will sound rather trollish... it's not meant to.

Over the life of the VFL/AFL the Bumbers and Filth have won shyte loads of flags and played in heaps of finals. They have a long, long tradition of winning in their famous jumpers. Unfortunately, our tradition is one of wine women and song... so I suppose it's not unreasonable that Saints fans aren't so worried about tradition. Traditional nobodies in the eyes of the AFL - therefore we can be pushed around by the AFL. The yellow peril jumper was a disgrace. There's no way we would ever have agreed to wear that in the last 100 years, but come 2000, we have no choice or voice.

The Melb population has tripled - yet the crowd figures are much the same if not less than the old home and away games at smaller grounds.
In the 60's kids were kicking footies everywhere in the streets and parks. Footy was the ONLY topic at work or school. Every car had a club sticker. 50 years later, no kids to be seen and footy hardly ever gets a mention at work.

And if you think I'm gonna be interested in watching a Saints V ClubFromThinAir you've got to be joking.

Question... IF the AFL demanded we change our logo for some reason... would we? Being Saints fans - many here would say yes.
Yes but how do you explain the increases over the last 8-10 years. Population hasnt grown much then and all the ground are the same size. If anything we are playing games in smaller venues like Carrara and York Park.

We wore the yellow peril because of sponsorship not the AFL.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Now... this will sound rather trollish... it's not meant to.

I agree that the yellow peril looked bad but it had been a colour we had used in the past, when we were red, yellow and black. The interesting thing is that essendon and collingwood have won flags in what they call now a NON TRADITIONAL outfit

example 1: Essendon with their red shorts (would have helped no end with the clash friday night)
example 2: Collingwood wearing a white jumper with black bars in the 70's. Then pretending this never happened and how dear anyone ask them to change from their traditional black jumper with white bars.

So common sense suggests that just changing the jumpers ever so slightly (collingwood with the 70's jumper or a red jumper with black slash) will fix the situation. It's breast beating by certain clubs.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

plugger66, mass media coverage by 2 channels. Double the exposure.

Minor changes to the basic design are not an issue. For instance, I like our current slab jumper even tho it's actually a bit different from a 60's slab. No biggie. The basic design stays the same. A wider red sash is also no biggie. Going from R,W + B to Yellow... is a biggie! Now where have either of those 2 teams ever worn jumper like that?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:plugger66, mass media coverage by 2 channels. Double the exposure.

Minor changes to the basic design are not an issue. For instance, I like our current slab jumper even tho it's actually a bit different from a 60's slab. No biggie. The basic design stays the same. A wider red sash is also no biggie. Going from R,W + B to Yellow... is a biggie! Now where have either of those 2 teams ever worn jumper like that?
But no one will watch it. Why do 3 stations now show a game no one will watch?

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 9:07am, edited 1 time in total.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

AOK,

You're a confusing bugger...

You talk about tradition and keeping the status quo but have a signature that calls for a revolution!

Which is it?

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 9:05am, edited 2 times in total.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The bottom line is that the game has moved on since these jumpers were conceived.

The following things have changed.
- Players no longer play man on man in their assigned position. This leads to more numbers at a contest.
- Sponsors logos add to the colour mix on the jumper. Collingwood and Port Adelaide have introduced red to their mix whilst the Bombers have added white.
- The game is far, far quicker than it was even 10 years ago.
- Some teams have made subtle changes to their jumpers and no cause clashes where there used to be none. Can anyone spell Collingwood?

The AFL have the power to direct clubs to have an appropriate clash strip. This must be enforced on the clubs that do not embrace this move. That means Essendon & Collingwood. For the most part, a simple reversal of their normal strip will do. Collingwood has done it and it works very well.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 9:05am, edited 1 time in total.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:I've haven't noticed socks lately. Do team have clash socks? Seriously just wondering.
Yes. Seriously, they do!

esaint66
SS Life Member

aussierules0k wrote:I've haven't noticed socks lately. Do team have clash socks? Seriously just wondering.

We used to.
We had those all black socks with the little red and white stripes up near the fold for our home games in the late 90's and early 00's, but for away games we just had the normal ones.

i remember against sydney in that game in the wet a couple of years ago we wore the black socsk because i think someone said they clashed with the swans red and white socks :shock:

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 9:05am, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

What ever happened to St Kilda's white collar.
I remember "Cowboy" Neale taking marks on TV.
You always saw the flash of the white collar in the marking contest on the old black and white TVs.

esaint66
SS Life Member

ace wrote:What ever happened to St Kilda's white collar.
I remember "Cowboy" Neale taking marks on TV.
You always saw the flash of the white collar in the marking contest on the old black and white TVs.

Yeah i didnt really pay much attention to them not having them anymore :?

The last player i can remeber with one is matty knights and hes coaching now so it must have been a while ago :?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Our '66 Premiership strip had white cuffs and white collar.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
esaint66
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Our '66 Premiership strip had white cuffs and white collar.

They had this kind of strip right up until the early 90's (maybe collerless later on, i cant remeber) when puma took over and added a black stripe to the collar and sleeves.

Grimfang
Club Player

It's damn simple.

The Home team has the RIGHT to wear their home strip.

The Away team, knowing what the home team strip is, has the RESPONSIBILITY to avoid a clash where one exists.

The fact that the "Man U" (yeah, right :lol:) of the AFL wants it all their own way shouldn't enter into it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Jill Lindsay the knob jockey at AFL house has been reported in the paper to understand that the jumper clash was not ideal and he/she whatever is working on it.....

WTF are you on Jill Lindsay, just TELL Essendon to wear a CLASH GUERNSEY!

Of course, the AFL expect in Round 22 for us to wear our WHITE strip to avoid the clash.

WELL, I reckon we should say to the AFL "F YOU!" and wear our traditional strip - and only back down and wear our WHITE away strip if we get written confirmation from the AFL that a jumper clash at Ess/St.K games will NEVER happen again.

Time Jill Lindsay finds another job, along with Monkey Boy (and the other bloke as well - but that goes without say!).

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.