Umpiring last night - set the standard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Umpiring last night - set the standard

Sorry if there is already a post about this but I just wanted to say if every game is officiated the way last night's game was, the whole code would be better off. The only calls really made were ones that were there. I'd love to see the free kick stats because I think it was pretty low.

They let a lot of stuff go, hardly ever paid soft frees (although there were some glaring errors, but none had any effect on the game) and overall, it seemed to me they did a great job.

If they could be like that every week, everyone would be happy (except Collingwood supporters) Supporters are happy that no soft frees are being paid, umpries are happy that nobody is saying mean things about them, AFL are happy that the code is flourishing and more people will come to see the spectacle of the game.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

After the first 3 rounds, there has been a very distinct change in the interpretation of the holding the ball rule. The umpires deserve some big kudos for this one, its now actually sensible.

No more automatic calls when the ball is under a pack.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I thought the umps were ordinary last night. To many silly little kicks paid that werent there and while no one wants to see holding the ball paid softly...when a player gets rid of the footy illegally due to a good tackle a free must be paid.

To me at times it does appear that umps are to much "in" the game

“Yeah….nah””
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Maybe Teflon, I thought they wouldn't ever call HTB last night, but ovverall I thought they were much more consistent than they have been the last few weeks.

I would take last night's umpiring over anything else seen this year.

HTB should only be paid for a really good tackle anyway IMO.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Well it appears that A) there WAS a thread on this already

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=41890

And B) I don't have much support in my opinion of the umpiring on Firday night.

Fair dinkum this place. Its almost as bad as bogfooty sometimes.

:roll:

(NB - I stressed the almost because I don't want any "well don't post here anymore", etc. replies)
Last edited by OneEyedSainter77 on Sun 20 Apr 2008 1:09am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:And B) Nobody agrees with me
i thought the umpiring was good.

umpires are best when they are seen and not heard and pay only the obvious free kicks like friday night.

avid
Club Player

I thought the umpiring was pretty good too. I'd be happy with that standard.
The other post is mainly picking on individual decisions. The umpires are always going to make some wrong calls. I heard that 87% correct was considered a good benchmark. They've got to make their calls instantaneously. I'm completely relaxed about having some decisions go haywire, as long as 90% seem to be handled with common sense and consistency.
(When I say 'completely relaxed' I mean you still go berko, but by the end of the day you let it go, and don't write endless posts complaining of injustices and conspiracies.)
A tick to the maggots this time.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I thought that only the last decision was harsh. VG performance from the three.