Fraser Gehrig - Our Ace up the Sleeve

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StSteven
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
StSteven wrote:Gehrig can go out of the play as much as he likes but if the opposition gets the ball, as did Scarlet, then he is useless. Scarlet destroys FF's by beating them and running loose himself. reads the play much better than Fraser.
That's my point.

The moment Scarlett went to Gehrig, he should have immediately become a defender.

We need to be smarter with how we use him.
My point is that you had better tell Scarlet that because he refuses to act as a traditional defender. He beats FF's to the ball and attacks. Your point is probably best illustrated with lesser skilled defenders.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I've always thought a smaller, quicker forward is better to play on Scarlett than a lumbering big bloke - I think RL will be looking hard at forward structures this week, as we only have one forward that is contributing consistantly at the moment -Roo

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i think the backman chooses the forward, not the other way around....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
StSteven
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:i think the backman chooses the forward, not the other way around....

They used to in days gone by................not so simple any more when blocking supply and attacking from chb.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fraser Gehrig - Our Ace up the Sleeve

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

He really is the Ace in our deck in my view.

1/ If our opponent disrespects him, he can kick a bag.

2/ If they do respect him, it frees up other forwards.

Unfortunately they are not the only two scenarios that can also occur.

There is also

3/ If GTrain does not respect a quality fullback he kicks few goals and they get enormous rebound into their offence.

4/ If we play 3 tall forwads GTrain struggles to find free space to run into, as do the other 2 talls which makes the defenders lot, a much easier one.

Finally an Ace in a deck can be good, but it depensds which game of cards you are playing. In seven's an ace is a liability.

It is 4/ that I am particularly concerned about.
I wouldn't play Kosi forward.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fraser Gehrig - Our Ace up the Sleeve

rodgerfox wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

He really is the Ace in our deck in my view.

1/ If our opponent disrespects him, he can kick a bag.

2/ If they do respect him, it frees up other forwards.

Unfortunately they are not the only two scenarios that can also occur.

There is also

3/ If GTrain does not respect a quality fullback he kicks few goals and they get enormous rebound into their offence.

4/ If we play 3 tall forwads GTrain struggles to find free space to run into, as do the other 2 talls which makes the defenders lot, a much easier one.

Finally an Ace in a deck can be good, but it depensds which game of cards you are playing. In seven's an ace is a liability.

It is 4/ that I am particularly concerned about.
I wouldn't play Kosi forward.
i wouldn't play riewoldt forward.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:
The_Dud wrote:i think the backman chooses the forward, not the other way around....

They used to in days gone by................not so simple any more when blocking supply and attacking from chb.
tell me the last game where Roo, Kosi and Gehrig chose which backmen to play in them.....

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Ace up our sleeve...maybe once, unfortunately if he still is then we're playing poker & at the moment and we're holding 5, 6, 7, 8. The ace ain't much good to us, so we either need a 4 (a four quarter effort) or a 9 (nine quality hard tackling midfielders with crisp, clean, accurate disposal)

Ross has a great poker face, I'm tipping he'll bluff for one more week so I hope he lights a rocket under the big fella. Too much to ask a dual Coleman medallist to be a decoy but not too much to ask him to compete and be responsible for his man. If a player can't do those two things it ain't the coach's fault.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
StSteven wrote:Gehrig can go out of the play as much as he likes but if the opposition gets the ball, as did Scarlet, then he is useless. Scarlet destroys FF's by beating them and running loose himself. reads the play much better than Fraser.
That's my point.

The moment Scarlett went to Gehrig, he should have immediately become a defender.

My point is that you had better tell Scarlet that because he refuses to act as a traditional defender. He beats FF's to the ball and attacks. Your point is probably best illustrated with lesser skilled defenders.
I meant that Gehrig should have become a defender.

StSteven
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
StSteven wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
That's my point.

I meant that Gehrig should have become a defender.

We probably agree on everything but I have had one too many beers tonight to make a reasonable reply.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting areticle by Jake Niall in The Age today on Fraser.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/jake-n ... tml?page=2

He makes some good points; Fraser is suited to selected opponents these days.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:Interesting areticle by Jake Niall in The Age today on Fraser.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/jake-n ... tml?page=2

He makes some good points; Fraser is suited to selected opponents these days.
Friday night, Gehrig should 'tag' Fletcher.

If Gehrig gets the ball it's a bonus.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Fletcher's great strength (apart from his extended frame) is his mobility. I'd not call that Fraser's great strength ... Fletcher would love that matchup. He'd run off Fraser all day.

OTOH Fraser would get Fletcher on the lead. Fraser plays best as a leading fowrard. He needs to get back to doing that as his primary role.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

If I were Essendon...

Fletcher..Gehrig

Michael...Kosi

Ryder..Riewoldt

All have attributes that match up well with our blokes

Its ABSOLUTELY FREAKING CRITICAL tomorrow night that our mids stand up and start taking some shots at goal AND nailing a few. Essendon are another very good rebounding side and we cannot afford to have them bursting off half back time and time again like has happened the last 2 weeks.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I know the big G will play (hopefully he'll play a blinder) but personally I would play C. Gardiner, the Feltcher will have to pick him up but I think Charlie would be more suited to running with him as well as making him accountable by knocking up leads across half forward.

Come on G, fire up!!! Rag doll someone tomorrow night in the first few minutes, show some intent...make all their big defenders wary of you by thinking Bad Frase has turned up & he's not happy!!! They'll have one eye on you allowing Roo & Kosi a little bit more latitude.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well fortunately we did not play "The Ace" and instead up forward played a much better "card game" with 2 talls and not three.

Our midfield certainly benefitted from it.....and it was great to see the much greater spread in our goalkicking.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Well fortunately we did not play "The Ace" and instead up forward played a much better "card game" with 2 talls and not three.

Our midfield certainly benefitted from it.....and it was great to see the much greater spread in our goalkicking.
I actually agree!

We looked far better last night, and far more mobile and multi-dimensional.

Buckley did say though, and he may have had a point, that 'How well would have Gehrig done tonight with the intensity from the midfield?' (or something to that effect.

To be honest, I'm a bit concerned about the Big G now.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

G or Kosi...take your pick....but do not play the two of them up forward at once.

Or at least not when you have Charlie playing the way he did last night and in the NAB Cup.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:G or Kosi...take your pick....but do not play the two of them up forward at once.

Or at least not when you have Charlie playing the way he did last night and in the NAB Cup.
It would have to be Kosi.

Not as a permanent forward, but certainly pinch hitting down there. He's obviously more versatile than the G - so he'd have to get the nod.

The big test will be the next game that Gehrig plays. A poor game by him, and/or a malfunctioning forward line could make for some interesting decisions.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Our midfield certainly benefitted from it.....and it was great to see the much greater spread in our goalkicking.
the midfield benefitted from riewoldt NOT being at chf. gave them the option of going over his head rather than having to kick it to him every time.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

G should come back next week as Kosi will be required to do alot of rucking

to say we played like that last night because G wasn't is plain stupid, the whole team lifted last night, G would have torn it up....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:G should come back next week as Kosi will be required to do alot of rucking

to say we played like that last night because G wasn't is plain stupid, the whole team lifted last night, G would have torn it up....
whack him at chf and roo at ff

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Different card game now.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Different card game now.
It is a bit inst it? :lol:

The "ace" just went to joker and the clubs got a royal flush on its hands...

I did laugh at some of the logic on this thread though..."if Scarlett goes to G......then turn G into a defender"

so in thi situation we now free Scarlett up to help triple team a Riewoldt while a guy who cant tackle, chase OR pick the footy up from below his knees sits in an intense, under constant pressure defensive role.

You make me laugh Dodg.......you weird little foible....Im actually starting to like you...I picture you as a some dimwitted little quokka type creature....whos eyes light up everytime something remotely resembling an idea pops into your head...... :lol: :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Couldnt be bothered reading any of this thread but if anyone thinks G will play again apart from maybe a goodbye match they relly have problems. The guy is retired. finished. Out of here.