Its Official Round 5 ins and outs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

pevril is a good out for us

he is a nothing player but somehow has his way with dal every time we play..

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:although whilst king is off we might see kosi ruck with charlie move to chf
i hope not. i think kosi's a far more effective key forward than c. gardiner, mainly because he can kick.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:although whilst king is off we might see kosi ruck with charlie move to chf
i hope not. i think kosi's a far more effective key forward than c. gardiner, mainly because he can kick.
I would doubt if Kosi played in the ruck for any long period, that would leave only 1 high marking forward.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Saintschampions08
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Are you guys serious?

Fair dinkum - not to make him a scapegoat, but when you're not AFL standard, you're not AFL standard.

What Ross Lyon sees in him is beyond me. I totally agreed with Garry Lyon's assessement of Blake after his spoiling attempt on Hawkins:

"I've never seen a player purposely try to avoid a spoil - not a contest, a spoil - but I have now."

I'm not sure you can carry slow, crap footballers in a team that's shooting for a finals berth in this day and age.

He can't ruck at all. All he may be able to do, god help us, is tag Hille.

The other swaps? I don't mind them.
Exactly.

You can try as hard as you want, you can battle it out, you can be the hardest worker in the world; but if you don't have skills, then you should be playing local league.

It's so obvious that players like Blake, are such a dead weight in our side at the moment.

The champion teams, and good teams, don't carry players like that.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:guess that makes blake second ruck.
Would think Kosi would take a bit of ruckwork as well. Gilbert has had a couple of good games as a key forward if we need some extra height and we would probably be fine with Gardiner at CHF and Roo FF for a few stints.
big deal...king should slaughter both hille and nocock in the center and if blake can break even well good...
Hille is at least King's equal in the ruck contests and is more damaging around the ground. Laycock has also proved that he is a good developing backup ruckman. King should be able to hold his own, but he isn't going to slaughter the Essendon rucks by any means.
You can try as hard as you want, you can battle it out, you can be the hardest worker in the world; but if you don't have skills, then you should be playing local league.

It's so obvious that players like Blake, are such a dead weight in our side at the moment
Agree. I wouldn't have any of Blake, Dempster or Jones in the side. (Gardiner gets in because he leads well and is a solid mark and Leigh Fisher is a smart player who's skills are underrated).

Bowey Boy
Club Player

EMG: Shane Birss, Michael Rix, James Gwilt

.....and in my opinion should only ever be used in such a case !!!!

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
rexy
SS Life Member

Think Jones keeps his spot this week purely based on speed, Essendon are very quick, he may be used across HF to try and run with one of their back flankers.

I hope Blake is played as a second ruck as I beleive this will be the spot he does the least damage to our chances, I fear though that lyon will try and play him on Watson, McVeigh or Dyson.

Baker due back next week I think, big inclusion especially if MG is also ready to go again.

Maybe this year?
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Birss is IMO a first 22 player. He's tough, in and under, can run as well (albeit not particularly quickly) and is a decent mark and goal-kicker too. His form in the NAB Cup was quite good.

I agree on Rix and Gwilt; backup options only.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Dustin Fletcher is going to have a field day down back continually playing the third man up.....

with both M Gardiner and Gehrig out, we're one big man short

we should win this game regardless, but very disappointing changes

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:Dustin Fletcher is going to have a field day down back continually playing the third man up.....

agreed and with Welsh back in the side (who can play down back or forward) it's a bad time to be short IMO..

He kicked 5 goals two weeks ago for Bendigo but missed last week with a strain
Last edited by St Fidelius on Thu 17 Apr 2008 8:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Bowey Boy
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:Dustin Fletcher is going to have a field day down back continually playing the third man up.....

I sure hope we win cos I remember so many thumpings they have given us over the years!!

PS

Er...Dud...if Richmond win again you may need to change your avatar to another more appropriate image.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Bowie Boy wrote:
Er...Dud...if Richmond win again you may need to change your avatar to another more appropriate image.
yeah i know, at the moment, i'm leaning towards a guy whose names starts with 'R', and ends in 'oss Lyon'.......

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:guess that makes blake second ruck.
big deal...king should slaughter both hille and nocock in the center and if blake can break even well good...

although whilst king is off we might see kosi ruck with charlie move to chf and leave roo all alone in the square...he could be in for a big night...too quick for mal...too good for ryder...and dustin fletcher would never enter a contest and would prefer to trip players...
I lol'd

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Dropping Gehrig is a farce.

Absolutely pathetic decision. When will RL get it out of his head that tall skillful players not only play forward.

And he wants to fit three tall timbres into our forward 50.....Going by the results today, they don;t even fit into the team.

Makes you laugh that a player like Gehrig is dropped, while a player like Blake is still running around.

The Sainter
Club Player

Are coaches fools? Guerra with the Hawks and Fletcher with the Dons keep racking up large numbers of possessions each week on their back lines playing as loose players who never pick up an opponent yet are the ones consistently opening up opportunities for their teams. In Fletcher's case this week our coach must put someone on him like perhaps Gardiner and tell our players to attack through him. once he kicks a few goals on his own it will make Fletcher accountable, something he has not been for the last 3 years.
Also keep Dal on the forward line throughout the whole match, forget the stupidity of playing him on our back line.
Good selection changes this week. Players who keep refusing to go in hard to attack the ball will never win us a flag. take note Dal, you must have been close to joining the other two. Jones and Gilbert are not star players at the moment but at least you know they will always have a red hot go. If we play attacking football throughout the match against the Dons we will beat them.
GO SAINTS! :D :D :D :D :D :D

ace
Saintsational Legend

Some coaches are fools.
I remember one coach who kept playing Guerra on a half forward flank all the time.
He was not a success on the half forward flank so obviously can't play.
He goes to Hawthorn they try him on the backline.
He proves he can play, it was his previous caoch who was a fool.

Ferguson always made to play in defence, only ever gets a game when all our tall defenders are injured.
Gets asked to play tall even though he is small.
He fails, so obviously can't play.

Will someone tell the idiot coaches to try him somewhere else before they sack him at the end of this year.

Total of all the IQs in the St Kilda coaching box = 0
Last edited by ace on Fri 18 Apr 2008 2:09am, edited 1 time in total.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:He goes to Hawthorn they try him on the backline.
In fairness, we had our share of running/rebounding half backs, there was no way Guerra was going to get a game there.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Guerra was never given a chance to replace Aussie Jones in defence.