Fraser Gehrig - Our Ace up the Sleeve

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Fraser Gehrig - Our Ace up the Sleeve

The Big G, what an enigma.

Alot of people are calling for his head. 'Time to go', they say.

I disagree.

We have a guy who has kicked over 500 goals in his career, won numerous games off his own boot, kicked 10 more than once and most importantly, still gets the best backman each week.

Bizarrely, he got Lake and then Scarlett the week after. That should have been a massive win for us, before the ball was even bounced. When Roo is getting the No. 2 defender, we need to exploit that.

Now therein lies the issue. We're simply not using the Big G properly. Either the directions from the box are wrong, or Gehrig isn't carrying them out.

As I said earlier, when Scarlett went to Gehrig, that was a win for us. Yet when the final siren went, Gehrig did nothing and Scarlett had 27 touches!!

We were smashed in the box and on the field by that result.

Does our game plan suit Gehrig? Does he understand it? Does he ignore it? Or is he doing exactly what he's asked to?

We have such an opportunity whilst he's in our side - if we nuse him properly. He gets the best defender, we need to exploit this. If he doesn't get the best defender, then we need to exploit this even further.

He really is the Ace in our deck in my view. If our opponent disrespects him, he can kick a bag. If they do respect him, it frees up other forwards.

We really need to get smart about it.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Wed 16 Apr 2008 11:12am, edited 1 time in total.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig should have wandered out of the play and taken Scarlett with him - because you can't leave Gehrig unnattended.

Kramer hasn't eaten a decent sandwich in 13 years; it's been about that long sing Gehrig defeated a good defender. I don't think we should drop him, but I don't really think Lyon knows how to properly use him.

In fact, I don't think Lyon quite knows how to use many of our players. A serious concern, IMO.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 16 Apr 2008 3:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Maybe they need to refuse to kick it too Fraser when he's playing on quality. Use him as a decoy. When he's on the garbage sides,then kick it to him. Having said all this,possibly most our list would have to be used as decoy's when we play quality :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig's role on Scarlett was deplorable.

For a defender to get 27 touches is a disgrace.

For us to let that happen from the box, is terrible.

Gehrig doesn't have to beat guys in terms of kicking bags himself these days. Although when on a second or third stringer, he will.

He needs to take good defenders out of the game.

plumtire
Club Player

Fraser Gehrig our ace up the sleeve

No good blaming Gehrig :x The whole team is SOFT AS! :!:

Red
Club Player

They used him as a decoy on the weekend and his opponent was one of the

best on the ground. This is the same old Fraser. He will kick goals against

the bottom 4 teams and be held to a couple of possessions against the rest.

You need to give someone else a go.

krabb
Club Player

Why is he our ace up the sleeve?

He's too predictable...everyone's worked him out.

Time to try something new..

Any chance of any of our midfielders streaming in to kick a few goals?

Nah...not this year. :roll:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:They used him as a decoy on the weekend and his opponent was one of the best on the ground.
No he wasn't. He was used as a full forward.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i agree with the op. fraser is far from finished and it is an indictment on the rest of the team (especially our midfield) that we have not been able (thus far) to exploit having three of the best power forwards in the competition available to us.

just think of what the western bulldogs would be able to do with just one of our big 3. they'd be talked up as genuine premiership material.

NeXuss
Club Player

Gehrig has been a champion for us....no doubt. Unfortunately he has played on for 1 season to many. The only role I can see for him is if and when either Kosi or Roo get injured then he should play. If they are both up and running there is no room for Gehrig.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

troll

bob__71
Club Player

Not much point using someone as a decoy unless you are willing to go through them sometimes....otherwise the opposition work it out pretty quickly....problem gehrig had was that scarlett knew that his other backs would win the ball once it was in dispute...so he could afford to run off and create an extra number at the ball for geelong.

We dont need gehrig to be a decoy....we need him to be attacking the ball...this is where overly smart namby pamby game plans fall apart.

Which brings me to another bug bear I have....If you have more coaches allit mean is you have more people who think they have to have an idea to justify their existence. I personally liked the model of having one person in charge and the others being assistants....I think Ross was a very good assistant....doesnt seem like much of a leader though

spert
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig was once a top player -he is now past it. I watched him up close at the Dome against Scarlett, and he was too easily brushed aside and Scarlett had much quicker recovery when the ball was loose.

NeXuss
Club Player

spert wrote:Gehrig was once a top player -he is now past it. I watched him up close at the Dome against Scarlett, and he was too easily brushed aside and Scarlett had much quicker recovery when the ball was loose.
Exactly my point spert. As I said, at best, he is a replacement when either Kosi or Roo are injured. There is no room for the 3 of them in our best 22.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

maybe theres no room for a genuine attacking forward in our gameplan.... :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
spert
Saintsational Legend

There's room for any attacking forward in our gameplan, but they need to win in contested situations in the forward line, and although Roo does pretty well, the other forwards just don't get enough of their hands on it -thats why we struggle to kick good scores.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Gehrig should have wandered out of the play and taken Scarlett with him - because you can't leave Gehrig unnattended.

Kramer hasn't eaten a decent sandwich in 13 years; it's been about that long sing Gehrig defeated a good defender. I don't think we should drop him, but I don't really think Lyon knows how to properly use him.

In fact, I don't think Lyon quite knows how to use many of our players. A serious concern, IMO.
This is the post I agree with more than any other I have seen this year.

The Peanut
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Gehrig should have wandered out of the play and taken Scarlett with him - because you can't leave Gehrig unnattended.

Kramer hasn't eaten a decent sandwich in 14 years; it's been about that long sing Gehrig defeated a good defender. I don't think we should drop him, but I don't really think Lyon knows how to properly use him.

Although I don't like to 'give it' to the coach as I am not privy to all the facts but I must admit that this post makes sense. I really hope I am proved wrong ... and soon.

StSteven
Club Player

Gehrig can go out of the play as much as he likes but if the opposition gets the ball, as did Scarlet, then he is useless. Scarlet destroys FF's by beating them and running loose himself. reads the play much better than Fraser.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

let's not take anything away from scarlett. he's seldomn beaten and one of the best defenders in the past 20 years

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:In fact, I don't think Lyon quite knows how to use many of our players. A serious concern, IMO.
Perhaps it's fallout from the total overhaul of the football department. Should have kept at least one assistant coach there. Bring back Terry Daniher, I reckon.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Gehrig can go out of the play as much as he likes but if the opposition gets the ball, as did Scarlet, then he is useless. Scarlet destroys FF's by beating them and running loose himself. reads the play much better than Fraser.
That's my point.

The moment Scarlett went to Gehrig, he should have immediately become a defender.

We need to be smarter with how we use him.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Now all he really is, is a decoy forward

midas_touch
Club Player

Since Scarlett has consistently beaten Gehrig in the past, I'll let this slide. But I wont hesistate to wanting him demoted if he puts in another stinker this week.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fraser Gehrig - Our Ace up the Sleeve

rodgerfox wrote:

He really is the Ace in our deck in my view.

1/ If our opponent disrespects him, he can kick a bag.

2/ If they do respect him, it frees up other forwards.

Unfortunately they are not the only two scenarios that can also occur.

There is also

3/ If GTrain does not respect a quality fullback he kicks few goals and they get enormous rebound into their offence.

4/ If we play 3 tall forwads GTrain struggles to find free space to run into, as do the other 2 talls which makes the defenders lot, a much easier one.

Finally an Ace in a deck can be good, but it depensds which game of cards you are playing. In seven's an ace is a liability.

It is 4/ that I am particularly concerned about.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....