Barry Hall gets 7

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

No wonder some people have high post counts,this thread went round and round and then went nowhere.......

I need a lie down after reading 5 pages of drivel.....

:P

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Sainterman
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:No wonder some people have high post counts,this thread went round and round and then went nowhere.......

Ready for bed after reading that thread! Really, perhaps some PM's might have done the trick!

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:
bobmurray wrote:No wonder some people have high post counts,this thread went round and round and then went nowhere.......

Ready for bed after reading that thread! Really, perhaps some PM's might have done the trick!

Me too - just waiting for the busker story to be revealed on saintsational. Now that thread really needed lettucehead to break the tension.

As a critique of the thread, I felt the first hundred posts did well to channel Winmar and Baker's punishments, thought there could have been a little more O'Dea/Greening reference and a greater claim to victimisation. Excellent use of circular reasoning and straw men all round. The use of the slippery slope argument was explored in other threads but didn't really kick in with this one. major gripe - lack of detailed criticism of previous coach and administration. Kudos to those posters who steadfastly refuse to actually read what they are quoting. Another strong team effort.

7.5/10. (6/10 without lettucehead).

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Reckon what should happen is that the next time one of our blokes goes down with a 3-4 week injury, they should grace the field and whack someone to the value of 3-4 weeks.

That way, they may influence the game in the Saints favor whilst they are going to miss the next few weeks regardless.

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
osama milne laden
Club Player

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/a ... 92808.html

>>>But in six years at Sydney, he had not previously been suspended.

easy mistake for a journalist like greg baum to make, overlooking a 5 week suspension for eye gouging in 2002 ...

seems hall took the rest of the media for a ride too

>>>Wrong number?
April 16, 2008
BRENT Staker was surprised when he heard Barry Hall's media conference. Surprised when Hall mentioned he had left a message for Staker to apologise. It was news to Staker.
His mind might still have been foggy and his jaw aching but he was certain he would remember if the bloke who had put him in that condition had left a message on his phone saying sorry. He double checked — there was no message.
He asked others if they had messages from him and were told no they had not, either. He presumed that perhaps Barry had been given a wrong number.

'What do we eat? -Mussles
How do we eat 'em? - Alive'
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

So the lessons from this week’s tribunal:

You can be accused of allegedly accidentally standing in someone’s way and have that person apparently run into the back of you (even though there’s no film footage of the incident) and get seven weeks for it.

Ok.

BUT that sort of alleged spurious offence is the equivalent of knowingly smashing someone in the jaw with a closed fist and knocking them senseless.

Ummmm. Ok ...

But wait. There's more...

You can line someone up in their blindspot, nowhere near the ball, neither player interested in the contest, smash them semi-conscious, and watch them get wheeled off on a stretcher in a neck brace with impunity.

Sure. Why not?

You can trip, too. That’s fine. As long as it’s a reflex action. And let’s face it. When is it not?

Oh. And one man’s punch is, well, not another man’s punch. Best I can come up with is that a left hooks is bad, an upper cut is not.

Confused?

Just a little...

How can they get it so wrong ALL the time.

Consistency is not a lot ask for.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Personally I reckon its too light, a season long ban would have been more approiate for what he did. Considering it has been reported that his wrist wont heal for 10-12 weeks anyway.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:
As a critique of the thread, I felt the first hundred posts did well to channel Winmar and Baker's punishments, thought there could have been a little more O'Dea/Greening reference and a greater claim to victimisation. Excellent use of circular reasoning and straw men all round. The use of the slippery slope argument was explored in other threads but didn't really kick in with this one. major gripe - lack of detailed criticism of previous coach and administration. Kudos to those posters who steadfastly refuse to actually read what they are quoting. Another strong team effort.

7.5/10. (6/10 without lettucehead).
lol Cowboy. Excellent summary. Personally, I'm disappointed that the thread's been dominated by post-Muirism, a philosophy that also excludes Ditterichian elbow theory.

SainterX
Club Player

The big question

If Hall had hit Steven Baker that way would he have gotten any more leniency? ;)

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:Personally I reckon its too light, a season long ban would have been more approiate for what he did. Considering it has been reported that his wrist wont heal for 10-12 weeks anyway.

BANG BANG
agree with Hurricane. Should have been 10 at least and 12 would have been appropriate.

Duggie
Club Player

Will we ever see the X-Ray of Hall's wrist, or the plaster cast???
Boy am I suspicious !!! :lol:

A Saint Forever!
congorozides
Club Player

joke
had to be worth 10.

Was he on 0 points prior? he got 25% off for guilty plea but surely he gets something for previous record?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:joke
had to be worth 10.

Was he on 0 points prior? he got 25% off for guilty plea but surely he gets something for previous record?
If he got 25% off then he did get 10 weeks.

You can argue whether he should have got a 25% discount or not.

It would appear that no-one actually knows if he got the 25% discount or not (according to various broadcasters on the radio).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
congorozides wrote:joke
had to be worth 10.

If he got 25% off then he did get 10 weeks.

You can argue whether he should have got a 25% discount or not.

It would appear that no-one actually knows if he got the 25% discount or not (according to various broadcasters on the radio).
That is one thing I do disagree on that he may have got 25% off. No one should get that when it is 100% obvious they did it. Same for Maxwell. 100% obvious.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

It's nonsense to bring in issues of advisement, representation etc. and claim that you can't compare cases. The whole system should be about ensuring that individuals are treated equally regardless of creed, race, colour or club.

That means that similar actions warrant similar punishments. Simple. That should be the basis of any MRP and tribunal system.

The MRP and tribunal, as they are currently organised, do not function with any sense of justice or fairness. They just operate under a flawed and contrived process, one that punishes minor offences too harshly and is seemingly incapable of providing appropriate levels of punishment for serious ones.

If one person gets picked up for an attempted jumper punch they all should be picked up for attempted jumper punches.

The system has a responsibility to be fair. And it isn't.

The system has a responsibility to treat actions occasioning serious injuries seriously. And it doesn't.

The system shouldn't use arbitrary nonsensical "discounts" for good behaviour when it's apparent that it is incapable of adjudicating on what is acceptable and what is not.

With no offence intended, it beggars belief that anyone can defend this process. It simply doesn't work. Serious incidents don't get referred, and the tribunal seem unable to operate with any consistency - possibly because of the process they have been given to operate under.