The Team…as I would do it…and why

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:
Spinner wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:hey spinner

you still have not replied as to why max is not in your team
Yep, unintentionally left him out.

Replace L Fisher with him....Although that makes up a bit too tall down back.

...Ill work on it.
Too tall down back? Geelong, who have the best defense in comp have Scarlett, Harley, Egan (when not injured) and Milburn in their backline. Don't see that as much of a problem.
That was in reference to this starting 6 scenario....

FB: L Fisher, F Gehrig, S Gilbert
HB: M Maguire, S Fisher, X Clarke

1eyedNever
Club Player

My Team

This Is what I'd like to see.
B: Maguire, Hudghton, Geary
HB:Dal Santo , Riewoldt, S. Fisher
C: Montagna, Hayes, Gilbert
HF: C. Gardiner, Koschitzke, Schneider
F: ,Milne , M. Gardiner , Ferguson
R: King, Goddard , Baker
Int: , Harvey,/,Armitage,. X ,Ball
Emg Gram , ,Dempster/ Gehrig , Jones, Fiora

Armo. Gilbert and Geary to always stay to give them much needed game time as we do not develop enough youth player s*** players and aslo rans

Ferguson to get 4 games to make or Break it

King can be rotate off the bench to rest and M Gardiner or Kosi and Roo if needed to Ruck

SKFC has now been confirmed as the AFLs BITCH
spert
Saintsational Legend

Here's my go at a balanced team from our ranks -a few shock selections, but I think the current setup is a bit uneven across all positions

B: Ball SFisher Kozi
HB: LFisher Roo Geary
C: Montagna Hayes Armitage
HF: Goddard Gilbert Gram
FF: NDS Goose Gwilt
Foll: King McQualter Jones
Int: Max, Harvs, Charlie G, MGards
Emerg: Milne, Fiora, Birss
Retired: Gehrig

Why
The back line needs more flexibility and height (Roo Kozi), plus positive ball handlers and close tacklers (Ball LFisher) Geary to be developed, and SFisher already a class backman
Midfielders OK, but time to develop Armo, for some more dash
Forwards -tricky, but I feel Gilbert is a potential forward, and Goddard is all class and a great kick, Gram has good run which is what we lack in the forward line, Gwilt needs to be developed as a forward/ ruck rover and NDS is lazy but skillful, and may kick regular goals up close on skill alone..
On the ball, Jones is aggressive and a top worker, and McQ needs to take Harvs role.
Harvs and Max on the bench to rotate off and on around the ground, same for the others.
GTrain -sorry mate , you time has gone.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Really like sRr's team. The forward line would work so much better like that. Gehrig is still capable of kicking bags of goals if he gets good delivery, but he is just exploited too easily by opposition defenders.

hAyES
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
hAyES wrote:
Spinner wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:hey spinner

you still have not replied as to why max is not in your team
Yep, unintentionally left him out.

Replace L Fisher with him....Although that makes up a bit too tall down back.

...Ill work on it.
Too tall down back? Geelong, who have the best defense in comp have Scarlett, Harley, Egan (when not injured) and Milburn in their backline. Don't see that as much of a problem.
That was in reference to this starting 6 scenario....

FB: L Fisher, F Gehrig, S Gilbert
HB: M Maguire, S Fisher, X Clarke
Oh. That's different then. :lol:

I don't see why people want to see Charlie Gardiner in the team. IMO it makes our forward line too tall and it's not like he's an incredibly skilled player. He'll take a mark every now and then if it doesn't bounce off his chest. That's it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:
[I don't see why people want to see Charlie Gardiner in the team. IMO it makes our forward line too tall and it's not like he's an incredibly skilled player. He'll take a mark every now and then if it doesn't bounce off his chest. That's it.
Because I want him to play a mini-Roo role im taking over all the leading way up the ground that Roo has often done.

Indeed I would extend it by having him run from HF to HB...in effect he is almost another mid with his task being to run and present and provide a link man option.

Alternatively Gilbert may also be used in this role.

With Gardiner I was impressed with his worrate and running ability in the pre-season.

And 191 is the new small :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
awesome_days
Club Player

B: LFisher Hughton Maguire
HB: SFisher Koschitzke XClarke
C: Schneider Baker Gram
HF: Gilbert Goddard CGardiner
F: Dal Santo Reiwoldt Ball
R: MGardiner Hayes Montagna

I: Harvey King Armitage Ferguson

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote:i find it funny some of the absolutely ridiculous positions some posters place players in

i don't know if they think it makes them look clever or intelligent by throwing up some completely whacky idea and then trying to justify it on paper, but in reality it would never work/happen
Feel free to provide some examples. That way the 'certain' posters that have put player in 'absolutely ridiculous positions' can actually have a reply to this type of pot shot.

Currently, the way you've structured this post is so ambiguous, you're able to whack other posters thoughts without a) providing your own opinion of it, and b) remaining incognito when posters "me" question your motives.

Feel free to criticize dud, but all in all it just seems all you do is have an opinion on others posters opinions without firstly explaining why and secondly, providing some of your own thoughts as alternatives.
i think i've made my opinion clear over the last week or two

the team set-up is basically right (maybe a few minor tweaks) but the gameplan is the major problem

to be more specific regarding my previous post, i'll give you my opinion on your team

Gehrig at full back? so he's too slow and lazy to play FF, but you'll put him at full back on a 19/20 year old Tom Hawkins

Gilbert in the back pocket, complete waste of his talent, should be played across the middle or forward flank

X Clarke should be played in the centre

Ferguson in the team? i think his reputation has been built up ridiculously in this forum over the last couple of days/weeks

Goddard CHF? plays best rebounding across the backline, and wants to play in the backline. Could occasionally be rotated thru the middle depending how he goes while in there

Montagna should spend all his time in the centre or on the wing

Raph Clarke in the team, and in the forward pocket no less! he is slower than milne, lazier than milne, a worse kick for goal than milne, not as smart as milne.... oh, but he has "potential"

The forward set up should be basically as it is now, only try to have the three big guys in there together as less as possible. at the moment, Kosi should be rotated thru the ruck and forward line, and whenever he is in the forward line, Roo should be played as a roaming wingman, and when he's in the ruck, Roo should be played out of the goalsquare. Gehrig played as a permenant FF

Thats just a quick opinion. The team should work perfectly with a decent gameplan (Geelong, Hawks, Dogs, notice these are the best teams atm). Play man-on-man as much as possible, if they insist on dropping a man back in our forward line, as to not over crowd, our spare man should be placed across the centre, as this would totally negate their spare man.

also a focus on TACKLING and PRESSURING THE BALL CARRIER, which i would have thought was a no brainer
Just remember that each one of those are in "your opinion"

I believe Goddard plays his best (in relation to maximum team output) in the forward line. Remember, its not necessarily where players play their best, but in fact where players play their best for the team.

I also believe Gilbert will be one of the best backman in the league post 75, 80 games.

To suggest that the structure is perfect and just the game plan is faulty is pure nonsense. The structure contributes to a game plan. In basic terms, "where players 'play' on the ground influences the type of game plan that can be implemented.
of course its my opinion, everything i post is my opinion, same with everybody else

i didn't say the structure was perfect, just needs a few minor tweaks, and a decent gameplan, and it will work perfectly

what it doesn't need is major changes from left field, just for the sake of it

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
To the top
SS Life Member

L. Fisher Hudgden Gilbert
Gram Maguire S. Fisher
Riewoldt Goddard Hayes
X. Clarke Koschitzke C. Gardiner
Ball Gehrig Schnieder
M. Gardiner Dal Santo Montagna
Harvey R. Clarke King Armitage

R. Clarke ahead of Dempster because he can play both forward and back and gives flexibility.

I would have C. Gardiner working up the ground providing leading options and Kosi generally within striking distance of goal in the corridor, with Gehrig working from the square into the pockets (because he also kicks goals from there) leaving the corridor to Kosi and the crumbers.

I would pinch hit M. Gardiner forward, with Gehrig taking a spell on the pine particularly if Gehrig is having a problem presenting his chest to the ball.

Riewoldt has licence, including to drop forward.

As I have said before, we are not strong enough to play a small forward pocket player who averages two goals a game and does not have the tricks to disrupt the opposition with the ball.

Leg speed and ferocious tackling are the pre-requisites - because those attributes will make goals.

Armitage is in hope because we need mid-field depth.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote:i find it funny some of the absolutely ridiculous positions some posters place players in

i don't know if they think it makes them look clever or intelligent by throwing up some completely whacky idea and then trying to justify it on paper, but in reality it would never work/happen
Feel free to provide some examples. That way the 'certain' posters that have put player in 'absolutely ridiculous positions' can actually have a reply to this type of pot shot.

Currently, the way you've structured this post is so ambiguous, you're able to whack other posters thoughts without a) providing your own opinion of it, and b) remaining incognito when posters "me" question your motives.

Feel free to criticize dud, but all in all it just seems all you do is have an opinion on others posters opinions without firstly explaining why and secondly, providing some of your own thoughts as alternatives.

the team set-up is basically right (maybe a few minor tweaks) but the gameplan is the major problem

to be more specific regarding my previous post, i'll give you my opinion on your team

Gehrig at full back? so he's too slow and lazy to play FF, but you'll put him at full back on a 19/20 year old Tom Hawkins

Gilbert in the back pocket, complete waste of his talent, should be played across the middle or forward flank

Ferguson in the team? i think his reputation has been built up ridiculously in this forum over the last couple of days/weeks

Goddard CHF? plays best rebounding across the backline, and wants to play in the backline. Could occasionally be rotated thru the middle depending how he goes while in there

Raph Clarke in the team, and in the forward pocket no less! he is slower than milne, lazier than milne, a worse kick for goal than milne, not as smart as milne.... oh, but he has "potential"

The forward set up should be basically as it is now, only try to have the three big guys in there together as less as possible. at the moment, Kosi should be rotated thru the ruck and forward line, and whenever he is in the forward line, Roo should be played as a roaming wingman, and when he's in the ruck, Roo should be played out of the goalsquare. Gehrig played as a permenant FF

Thats just a quick opinion. The team should work perfectly with a decent gameplan (Geelong, Hawks, Dogs, notice these are the best teams atm). Play man-on-man as much as possible, if they insist on dropping a man back in our forward line, as to not over crowd, our spare man should be placed across the centre, as this would totally negate their spare man.

also a focus on TACKLING and PRESSURING THE BALL CARRIER, which i would have thought was a no brainer

I believe Goddard plays his best (in relation to maximum team output) in the forward line. Remember, its not necessarily where players play their best, but in fact where players play their best for the team.

I also believe Gilbert will be one of the best backman in the league post 75, 80 games.

To suggest that the structure is perfect and just the game plan is faulty is pure nonsense. The structure contributes to a game plan. In basic terms, "where players 'play' on the ground influences the type of game plan that can be implemented.
of course its my opinion, everything i post is my opinion, same with everybody else

i didn't say the structure was perfect, just needs a few minor tweaks, and a decent gameplan, and it will work perfectly

FWIW, I didn't change things up just fopr the hell of it.

That is how I believe St Kilda should be structured to play our best, most dominate football - If I were coach.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
Spinner wrote:

FWIW, I didn't change things up just for the hell of it.

That is how I truly believe St Kilda should be structured to play our best, most dominate football - If I were coach. Which I'm not, but as the thread title suggest, its the team, "as I would do it".

Its a team that I believe would be very hard to beat, on most levels.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Once Goddard is back and firing, I'd like to see him have a run at FF.
I reckon he'd shine and kick a bag.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Backs: Geary Hudghton Baker
Half Backs: S. Fisher Goddard Maguire
Centre: Montagna Dal Gram
Half Forwards: Gilbert Kosi C. Gardiner
Forwards: X Clarke Roo Milne
Rucks: M. Gardiner Hayes Ball
Interchange: Schneider, King, Harvey, Armitage
Emergencies: C. Jones, Fiora, L Fisher

Captain - Hayes
Vice Captain - Goddard

Schneider Harvey and Armo to rotate thru the midfield

X Clarke , Milne and Gilbert to provide Forward line pressure and be annoying little shites - Gilbert is also a taller target if needed (did alright against Geelong when forward)

C. Gardiner as a lead up forward across the whole centre line (he has the engine)

Kosi and Roo to play similar positions within the 50m arc if one leads forward towards the 50m arc the other leads back to the goal square giving two options - one short one long - these 2 need to start to work together

Gehrig is out because he wont be playing next year

Hudghton also might not be playing next year however we dont have a better option and anyway he still gives 110%

Across the CHB line and the Centre line we have 6 players who can all kick the ball long into the forward line and accurately (most of the time)

Our full back line is a bit of a worry however both Baker and Geary have decent skills which are needed to get the ball out of the back line safely

If Baker plays a mid field tagging role then drop Gilbert back there and drop Dal across half forward

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sax
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:
Spinner wrote:

You've made one thing clear, you definately are a DUD!
Why do people in this forum continually have a crack at anyone else that has an oppinion!

To the top
SS Life Member

When Riewoldt kicked a goal to put us 13 points up at the start of the second quarter, Geelong reverted to a four man forward line and had players on the square rushing into the contest after the ball was bounced.

They cut us up because they had too many players around the centre contest as soon as the ball was live - and too many options.

After the run on they got, they reverted to a 5 man forward line.

St Kilda did not respond to this tactic by Geelong - by puttiing as many of our players into centre square options as Geelong had.

St Kilda should have at least tried to turn it into a congested pack arm wrestle (because of the players rushing in after the ball was bounced).

Geelong just ran at our spare defenders, ran around them with one/two's and blazed away at goal.

Running players running at stationary targets - and the result was easy run in goals.

Trunch
Club Player

Agree with Spinner. I would like to see Fraser tried down back. Only if the match up is right. Hawkins would have been ideal. Fast in straight lines and strong. Frase did start his time at St.Kilda down back.

Remain educated on the game, stay loyal to St.Kilda
ace
Saintsational Legend

Why does everyone have 3 players on each line for their team selections.
There are no AFL rules that require you to have 3 players on the ball or on the half forward line.
You don't even have to have a half forward line if you choose.
The only position rules in footy are at a centre bounces when you are only allowed 4 in the square and one is a designated ruckman.
You can 5 if you like at all other times.
Players can have one positon at centre bounces but have to another afterwards.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Why does everyone have 3 players on each line for their team selections.
As per my explanation...I don't.

Charlie to basically run as an extra linking mid.

Kosi to ram into the backline as required.

Scneider and others to run and support the mids...ie to play asa super midfield.

In the forward line the only two that I have "holding" their postions there are Roo and Milne.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Dominating the centre corridor is the key to Geelongs success.
Geelong supporters surrounding me, were pleased with how their team forced St Kilda wide, making our players kick for goal on the angle..

After centre bounces imagine Riewoldt in the centre square as a marking target.
The centre square is not confined by a boundary line like a wing.
In the centre square you can lead up, left or right.
On a wing you can only lead up.
When the ball comes into 50 via the wing the forwards can only lead up into a space, congested by our opposition.
It is so easy for an opposition to flood half the 50 metre zone.
Riewoldt in the centre would force our midfielders to run through the centre to feed off him.
That's the direct route to goal used by Geelong.
It would also mean our forwards would be able to lead up, left and right.
It is a lot harder for an oppostion to flood the entire 50 metre zone.

It takes a bold attaking coach to play through the centre.
Sadly Lyon only knows defence.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:You've made one thing clear, you definately are a DUD!
Why do people in this forum continually have a crack at anyone else that has an oppinion!
:roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Gary Ablett and Jimmy Bartel have a game plan that provides for accountable football.
When Geelong have the ball or the ball is in dispute, go for it.
If the oppostion has the ball, man up on your man.
It is really quite simple, the opposition coach sets a hard tag on them.
The tagger goes with them regardless of who has possession. Consequently Ablett and Bartel always know where their opponent is.
He is the guy 3 metres behind them.

Maybe it is time Ross Lyon tried this game plan and gave opposition players the responsibility to follow our players around for once.
Then our players would be first to the ball and accountable.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:After centre bounces imagine Riewoldt in the centre square as a marking target.
:idea:

imagine our goal-to-goal line.

strong marking targets all the way down.

B: Max
HB: Goose
C: Riewoldt
HF: Kosi
F: Gehrig

would straighten us up a bit

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Dominating the centre corridor is the key to Geelongs success.
Geelong supporters surrounding me, were pleased with how their team forced St Kilda wide, making our players kick for goal on the angle..

After centre bounces imagine Riewoldt in the centre square as a marking target.
The centre square is not confined by a boundary line like a wing.
In the centre square you can lead up, left or right.
On a wing you can only lead up.
When the ball comes into 50 via the wing the forwards can only lead up into a space, congested by our opposition.
It is so easy for an opposition to flood half the 50 metre zone.
Riewoldt in the centre would force our midfielders to run through the centre to feed off him.
That's the direct route to goal used by Geelong.
It would also mean our forwards would be able to lead up, left and right.
It is a lot harder for an oppostion to flood the entire 50 metre zone.

It takes a bold attaking coach to play through the centre.
Sadly Lyon only knows defence.
very good post ace. you're a tactical genius.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well with GTrain and Fiora out...

and Armo and Charlie in we are a fair bit towards my prefreed team.

Baker back next week.....and jopefully Gardi with him to take on PA. :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well GTrain is now officially in the siding (LTI).

Against Lions if Roo is out put Allen at FF rotating with Kosi.....

If you is in...then it may be worth havinga look at Allen in place of Charlie...but by and large Charlie has been ok.