48 hours later and reality

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

48 hours later and reality

Some thoughts after 48 hours of reading absolute knee jerk reactions on this site, some posted by me btw.

1. Geelong are an absolutely brilliant team at the top of their form. To beat them a side will need everything to fall their way on that day. We must all remember our expectations. It seems many people expect too much and then when their expectations are detroyed want a scapegoat to blame, rather than reassess what they actually thought might happen.

2 We should have kicked better in the first quarter (obviously), which was compunded by the cats not missing, 2 of their first quarter goals were really difficult shots. Maybe a quarter time score of 8.3 to 2.2 might have helped, bad kicking, but great play to put us in the position.

3 We played effectively 20-21 men for most of the last 3 quarters, difficult against any team, let alone the cats.

4. There is still a question mark on Fraser (yes we all love him) but ...

5. At the start of the last quarter we had momentum and if Nicks shot on the run goes through we were almost back in the game, there was a definite momentum shift when it missed.

6. This is not the end of the season, we have got a good squad, we have played 3 of the top teams. We are suddenly playing guys who have not played much footy in the past year. This will take a while to settle the team.

fqf

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Not the end of the season.

But we probably won't make finals.

We have very few talented players. Bottom 4 list in the competition.

Players can't kick a football properly.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

brown-coat wrote:Not the end of the season.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

GrumpyOne

brown-coat wrote:Not the end of the season.

Not brown-coat, turn-coat.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

You wait and see johnpeterbudgefan club.

We have our 2 greatest bogey sides next, Essendon and Port.

Lost those 2 and the players completely lose confidence and hope in the gameplay and stop trying. Combine that with our crappy list of dud players who can't kick properly and it's highway to the bottom 4.

Trust me, i witnessed the Watson era.

NeXuss
Club Player

brown-coat wrote:You wait and see johnpeterbudgefan club.

We have our 2 greatest bogey sides next, Essendon and Port.

Lost those 2 and the players completely lose confidence and hope in the gameplay and stop trying. Combine that with our crappy list of dud players who can't kick properly and it's highway to the bottom 4.

Trust me, i witnessed the Watson era.
I agree with you brown-coat. I'm not saying we will definitely lose our next 2 games but if we do, we will spiral out of control for the rest of the season and definitely finish in the bottom 4.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Sick of the excuses for mediocre performances.

'If we had of kicked straight,if we had fit players,it's only round 4,we can improve'

Heard it a million times before,but we're not improving,we're going backwards. Our kicking doesn't improve-it gets worse,our players keep getting injured.
We want to be the best,we want a flag,yes we're impatient,but after 26 wooden spoons and one flag before my lifetime,we have reason to be impatient

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Brown-Coat and Nexus together - a well suited pair.
Guys, when is the world going to end?

NeXuss
Club Player

st.byron wrote:Brown-Coat and Nexus together - a well suited pair.
Guys, when is the world going to end?
What part of my reply above do you not agree with st.byron?

St.Kenny
Club Player

Its certainly not where we want to be at this stage

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Does nobody remember how the Saints started the '97 Season?? Lost the first 3 straight... CRUSHED by 90+ points in Rd3 against the Lions.
Ended up playing off in a Grand Final.

Premierships are won in September!! We've played the competition benchmark and found ourselves a little lacking.
We know our weaknesses and we'll work to address them.
I have faith that the coaching, medical, and playing groups of our club can build towards a successful finals campaign.
The season's a marathon, not a sprint.
If we can make the finals with a settled, fit list; we can give the Cats/Doggies/Whomever else a real scare. We could possibly pinch a cup.

......and GEEEZ we miss BAKES!! :wink:

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
NeXuss
Club Player

BakesFan wrote:Does nobody remember how the Saints started the '97 Season?? Lost the first 3 straight... CRUSHED by 90+ points in Rd3 against the Lions.
Ended up playing off in a Grand Final.

Premierships are won in September!! We've played the competition benchmark and found ourselves a little lacking.
We know our weaknesses and we'll work to address them.
I have faith that the coaching, medical, and playing groups of our club can build towards a successful finals campaign.
The season's a marathon, not a sprint.
If we can make the finals with a settled, fit list; we can give the Cats/Doggies/Whomever else a real scare. We could possibly pinch a cup.

......and GEEEZ we miss BAKES!! :wink:
If we lose this week against Essendon, we will not make the top 8.

spert
Saintsational Legend

It's still only early days yet, but I would leave it to RL and co. to sort out as there's some bleedin' obvious issues - firstly I think the big slow forward line will be a goner next week.

HarveysDeciple

not to rave on about umpiring, but 3 shocking decisions in the second quarter alone cost us goals.

Gehrig took a mark that wasnt paid, cats rush down and goal.

sam fisher takes a great clear contested mark. Not paid, cats goal.

3 holding the balls in a row on the wing not paid, cats goal.

im not saying we could have won this game, we probably wouldn't.

But to beat top sides things need to run your way, they ran the cats way and hence we never got those breaks.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

NeXuss wrote:What part of my reply above do you not agree with st.byron?
The part where you continue to extract oxygen from the atmosphere. :roll:

yipper
SS Life Member

St DAC wrote:

:lol: :lol: Think he lives under a rock - only comes out to troll when we've lost. Didn't see him when we were 2-0!! Mods, why is he back on here??

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
NeXuss
Club Player

yipper wrote:
St DAC wrote:

:lol: :lol: Think he lives under a rock - only comes out to troll when we've lost. Didn't see him when we were 2-0!! Mods, why is he back on here??
Where have I trolled yipper? I have only given my opinion and you don't like it so you go off sooking to the moderator.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: 48 hours later and reality

terry smith rules wrote:Some thoughts after 48 hours of reading absolute knee jerk reactions on this site, some posted by me btw.

1. Geelong are an absolutely brilliant team at the top of their form. To beat them a side will need everything to fall their way on that day. We must all remember our expectations. It seems many people expect too much and then when their expectations are detroyed want a scapegoat to blame, rather than reassess what they actually thought might happen.

2 We should have kicked better in the first quarter (obviously), which was compunded by the cats not missing, 2 of their first quarter goals were really difficult shots. Maybe a quarter time score of 8.3 to 2.2 might have helped, bad kicking, but great play to put us in the position.

3 We played effectively 20-21 men for most of the last 3 quarters, difficult against any team, let alone the cats.

4. There is still a question mark on Fraser (yes we all love him) but ...

5. At the start of the last quarter we had momentum and if Nicks shot on the run goes through we were almost back in the game, there was a definite momentum shift when it missed.

6. This is not the end of the season, we have got a good squad, we have played 3 of the top teams. We are suddenly playing guys who have not played much footy in the past year. This will take a while to settle the team.

fqf
All great points....

Our kicking was woeful and the Cats were clinical.

Our forward set up should be, and will be changed.

...Gee Geelong will take some beating this year.