Loss to Geelong, more then a loss.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Loss to Geelong, more then a loss.

I don't know why the trend around here, is that we were close, competetive and near Geelong. The idea is thathad our kicking been straight, we could have almost pinched a win.

In fact...we got thumped.

Although statistically it was even, aside from the first quarter (which we were better) we did nothing for the entire game. We had Montagna and Hayes play well in the midfield, but no one else.
Sure - Ball picked up 27 possessions, but he was no where. They were all insignificant possession that had little or no impact on the game.
Very similar to Dal's possessions. Goddard's kicking at times, was a farce.

After quarter time, we didn't win clean ball. We didn't produce any run, and Geelong ran rampant. Their were two vital moments in the match.

Firstly, when we dominated in the first quarter, Geelong hang round, they kicked 4-0...and stayed in the game.

Secondly, in the second quarter, when the game was up for grabs...Geelong lifted a notch, and destroyed us around the entire ground. Their were times, it was like watching a mediocre VFL team, play the AFL Premiers.

Gehrig showed exactly why he retired, and why he should have stayed in retirement. Their were 2 or 3 key parts of the match, when he was dragged off the ground that our forward line looked like scoring; and Scarlett was actually accountable for someone.

Every time the ball went to the ground, Geelong had 2 or 3 players ready to get it. We didn't. Everytime it was a one-on-one, Geelong got it easily. The key moment for mine, was late in the 4th Quarter, When it was Dal against Ling, Dal tackled ling...who gave a good handball off...which directly resulted in Hunt kicking a goal. This happened on many occasions.

3 Players can hold their head high and say they beat their opponent on Saturday; Riewoldt, Montagna and Hayes.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Great post saintschampions08 .Some insightful observations and a sad inditement on where the two clubs now sit after just 2 years.

Really believe that we had Geelong covered in 04-06.

As a rider will see how we look after getting some solid game time into Maguire , Goddard and Michael Gardiner when he returns.

Harves and X,S injuries were also significant on Saturday.Swap them with
Chapman and Ling and I'm certain the contest would have been a lot closer but you are essentially right.

There is a lot of work ahead to bridge the gap.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
plumtire
Club Player

Loss to Geelong more than a loss

SPOT on :!: If only the coach could be persuaded to see things this way, but he makes a stoned hippie look manic!!! no urgency, no passion, a dud :!:

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Ball picked up 27 possessions, but he was no where. They were all insignificant possession that had little or no impact on the game.
Totally disagree, Ball was magnificant on Saturday, hew was under everry pack his attack on the ball was brilliant. He had 11 contested possessions (the most in the side) and 78% disposal efficiency. Ball is not one of those who gets cheap uncontested crap possesions, sure his kicking still lacks penetration but his hands in close got us at least 3 or 4 direct centre clearances. The thing that impressed me the most was that he is starting to get some zip back in his legs, there were a couple of chase down efforts where he looked as quick as he used to be before the groin problems. Remember that he was a schoolboy sprint champion.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The midfield did very well, they pumped the ball into our forward 50 enough times to kick a winning score...good sign.
The forward line is dysfunctional with only one in-form contesting forward -Roo.
The backline is not strong enough physically..Max is suffering from wear and tear and has lost his natural ability to run and contest with leading forwards, and his efforts in spoiling were poor against Geelong. Kozi seems to have lost his natural aggression and his form is erratic.

Still early days yet, and RL will need to do a lot of work to rebuild the team as it is all over the shop. Looks like a trip to Bonnie Doon is required.

StSteven
Club Player

Great posts but lets not forget the "truth" of the past 16 times we have played Geelong, they have won 11 of them. They are almost always better than us and we have only been better 5 times. I don't know where this myth of being better than Geelong comes from.

We can recover but it will need damn hard efforts by all.

Huzzad
Club Player

The midfield was better, but lacked delivery. Sure, our scoreshots were pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. But our inside 50s were not much better. Kicked it to 2-on-1s and to no one. Compared to Geelong who nailed nearly every target. I think the commentators actually hit the nail on the head in saying one of the key reasons why our forward line was not functioning was our delivery was woeful. As for the kicking at goal, well it speaks for itself. There were many problems against Geelong, but in all fairness we could have won it. The cats made alot of mistakes and we failed to make them pay. So while there were a ton of negatives, they are all areas we can improve. We must improve. I think we have been taught some big lessons this year, and I hope the team have learned.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Richter
SS Life Member

Not sure I completely agree with some of the details you put up, but I do with the general thrust.

I went away thinking that if only we had kicked straight then we would have challenged them - reality is though that they only got out of 2nd gear a couple of times during the match.

The problems, in no particular order as I saw it.....

1/ Inaccurate delivery into the forward line. Not enough pinpont delivery, or even kicks to the advantage of a leading forward. Not surprising when you only have two decent long kicks in the side.

2/ Poor kicking for goal - both from the set shot and open play - no coolness under pressure. Our periods of pressure did not lead to significant changes on the scoreboard.

3/ Rebounds from our forward line. Yet again, when the ball hits the ground up forward we struggle to keep it in. Gehrig, in particular had a poor game - completely towelled up by Scarlett.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
St.Kenny
Club Player

Excellent initial post. Cant believe the optimism on this site after being 'walloped' and toyed with by the cats. We have a few delusional members on this site who still believe we are on the right track with a negative game plan and a second rate ruck division which is either injured or rejected from other clubs. MAybe they are right on this one. We can all just be like BArks and deny reality and believe all is going swimmingly. Lets all join Alice and head to wonderland !!!!!!!!!!!

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:Great post saintschampions08 .Some insightful observations and a sad inditement on where the two clubs now sit after just 2 years.

Really believe that we had Geelong covered in 04-06.
Agree 110% I was shaking my head in disgust with how the Cats had the wood over us on Saturday night! :evil:

I want Gehrig dropped this week!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

I think the Doggies loss was worse.

You can't go from 40 points up to losing.... that's deeply demoralizing.

It happened in the late 90's V Hawks. They clawed back from (1st Q) 1 goal to 10. Rarely do I have any inside info... but I know for a fact that that game hurt the players to such an extent they took years to recover.

Winning is all about self belief.

We MUST kick at least 3 goals a Quarter - especially in the 2nd and 3rd Q's.

This week will tell us all we need to know about the Saints prospects in 08. Let's hope we smash em.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.