This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gooner
Club Player

Hello people, long term browser first time poster.
I cannot believe how we are all turning into Richmond and eating our own after round 4. Sure we have been poor the last few weeks but I feel it's our accuracy in front of goal that's been our major undoing. Kick a good amount of the gettable goals and we would have been well in with a shout in both our losses. 51.51 (and a fair few out on the full from inside 50) for the season is just not good enough.
During the Cats game I can't remember one time we marked inside 50 that I was sure we would slot it home.On the upside I'm sure it is a confidence thing and once we kick straighter we will be putting the pressure on the scoreboard that wins games. Look at our inside 50s for the season FFS.
Round 4 is way too early to even look at the ladder, let alone call for the kids!

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
GrumpyOne

Re: 51.51

gooner wrote:Hello people, long term browser first time poster.
I cannot believe how we are all turning into Richmond and eating our own after round 4. Sure we have been poor the last few weeks but I feel it's our accuracy in front of goal that's been our major undoing. Kick a good amount of the gettable goals and we would have been well in with a shout in both our losses. 51.51 (and a fair few out on the full from inside 50) for the season is just not good enough.
During the Cats game I can't remember one time we marked inside 50 that I was sure we would slot it home.On the upside I'm sure it is a confidence thing and once we kick straighter we will be putting the pressure on the scoreboard that wins games. Look at our inside 50s for the season FFS.
Round 4 is way too early to even look at the ladder, let alone call for the kids!
As a newbie you are making sense mate. Lack of accuracy is the reason we lost, but not just in front of goals. Failure to accurately pass by foot to another player was also our problem. Geelong were deadly accurate by foot and we were woeful.

Can be worked on. All is not lost. Early in the season. Have patience everybody..... we will improve as the season progresses.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

If you kick 20.0 every game instead of 10.10 of course you will win.

You have to accept a certain level of inaccuracy from yourselves and also from the opposition. The issue is that there's nothing we supporters can say about that other than "we can't kick straight", but we can analyse forward structures, matchups and selections til the cows come home.

GrumpyOne

Otiman wrote:If you kick 20.0 every game instead of 10.10 of course you will win.

You have to accept a certain level of inaccuracy from yourselves and also from the opposition. The issue is that there's nothing we supporters can say about that other than "we can't kick straight", but we can analyse forward structures, matchups and selections til the cows come home.
Not necessarily accuracy in front of goal. How many passes from our backline found geelong players? A hell of a lot more tha passes from geelongs backline found saints players thats for sure.

gooner
Club Player

Agreed but the point I'm trying to make is that we are actually getting into scoring positions thus we are not as far away as people are thinking. I'd be a hell of alot more worried if we weren't creating chances. Greater accuracy at goal also aleviates pressure all around the ground. Yes Geelong are a tremendous side but one of the reasons they are so good is that they are supremely confidant in their abilites and those of their team mates. They do not fear failiure. At the moment every one of us can feel that fear around the ground whenever Kosi or Roo line up on an angle.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
fingers
Saintsational Legend

Good post. I definitely don't want to be anything like richmond supporters. Let's stop the crap now. There is lots for us to improve on and the Cats won't get any better.

saintbart
Club Player

In front of goal you only need to look at the 1st qtr against the cats. 4.0 to 4.7. The cats kept that accuracy going in the 2nd quarter (I think they kicked another two before their first behind).

It wasnt so long ago when we made a habbit of kicking straight. One game a couple of years ago I think we kicked 10 or 11 goals before we kicked our first point (against the eagles at the dome I think or could have been the blues).

My point is, as someone may have already said, that it IS confidence. Roo seems to be a bit more confident in front of goal this year compared to last. But the whole team needs confidence in front of goal. The worst thing we can start doing is start to handball excessively - This is a classic sign that players are too scared to be the next one to make a mistake and would rather take a safe option in handballing to someone else rather that be the next one to make that mistake.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

gooner wrote:Hello people, long term browser first time poster.
Ah yes, the token first time poster concerned how everyone at Saintsational is 'turning' on each other after a loss.

Im not looking at the ladder, but I'll tell you what is fact. St Kilda are a lot closer to 1 and 3 than they are to 3 and 1. That lucky win against Sydney is the difference from holding our nerve, to total disarray for the beginning of the season.

my les foote
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Ah yes, the token first time poster concerned how everyone at Saintsational is 'turning' on each other after a loss.

Im not looking at the ladder, but I'll tell you what is fact. St Kilda are a lot closer to 1 and 3 than they are to 3 and 1. That lucky win against Sydney is the difference from holding our nerve, to total disarray for the beginning of the season.
You really are a glass half empty kind of guy. We beat the Swans and it should have been by a lot more. The Swans have since gone on to demolish Port and West Coast and win comfortably against Brisbane in Brisbane. The two teams we lost against are both unbeaten. Even Carlton looked OK on today's performance.

And welcome Gooner, love your work, hate your name but the Saints are more important than any North London rivalry.

Win it for HIM!