Yellow and Red Cards needed in the AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yellow and Red Cards needed in the AFL

The whole Barry Hall incident is a classic example of the need for yellow and red cards - Bazza would've been red carded for the game!

I feel sorry for West Coast, in that Hall the thug is allowed to play on after what he did.

FFS Dimwit wake up to yourself and move into the real world and introduce at the very least a sin bin!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
esaint66
SS Life Member

Re: Yellow and Red Cards needed in the AFL

saintspremiers wrote:The whole Barry Hall incident is a classic example of the need for yellow and red cards - Bazza would've been red carded for the game!

I feel sorry for West Coast, in that Hall the thug is allowed to play on after what he did.

FFS Dimwit wake up to yourself and move into the real world and introduce at the very least a sin bin!

I agree and disagree with you - I dont like the fact that he gets to play the game out , but you cant just change football like that and introduce something like cards to discipline players 150 years after the game was invented - too late and people will perceive it as soft (and it kind of is)

They use the card system in junior football.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

no need

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:no need
why?

What a stupid reply.

Please give some reasons......

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

because we don't need to bring in more rule changes just for the hell of it

how bout if the ump makes a mistake (as they do) and red cards someone who totally doesn't deserve it? costs a team a game, what then?

the current system is fine, leave it be!

SainterX
Club Player

One would think that the red card could be a good idea. I mean if you knock someone out, and they cannot play the rest of the game then you should not get to either.
I would think it would work something like

Barry Hall knocks out Brent Staker

Red Card

Bazza can no longer play the rest of the game if Staker is out for the game also.

Knocking someone out gives your side an advantage.

I mean just ask Alastair Lynch how much he cared about being suspended for hitting Wakelin in the 04 grand final given it was his last game anyway.

If Wakelin had been knocked out and could no longer play then Lynch would be off also.

It's unfortunate that someone could put someone out of a game in a grand final, and recieve no punishment if they plan to retire anyway.

esaint66
SS Life Member

I dont think we need to stress about barry having taking part in the rest of tonights game.
He KO'ed himself hahah :lol:

SainterX
Club Player

Ain't that a shame :P

esaint66
SS Life Member

SainterX wrote:Ain't that a shame :P

Oh know poor barry :cry: :roll: :lol:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

red cards for crying out loud let the pansy soccer gimps keep their silly cards and the rugby thugs can keep their sin bins this is a REAL sport a contact sport people get hurt people do unfair things thats life honestly the may as well adapt the netball non contact element if they bring out yellow and red cards .... what would you say if bakes got a red card for the farmer hit ?? farmer didnt come back on did he ? who would police it the umps ... we would see blokes get away with killing blokes and others sent of for looking in the direction of some players ...FFS leave the game be !!!! 150 years i survived without pussy cards .. serioulsy the worst idea ive ever heard ...... expect it to be trialed next years NAB cup :oops: :roll:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:red cards for crying out loud let the pansy soccer gimps keep their silly cards and the rugby thugs can keep their sin bins this is a REAL sport a contact sport people get hurt people do unfair things thats life honestly the may as well adapt the netball non contact element if they bring out yellow and red cards .... what would you say if bakes got a red card for the farmer hit ?? farmer didnt come back on did he ? who would police it the umps ... we would see blokes get away with killing blokes and others sent of for looking in the direction of some players ...FFS leave the game be !!!! 150 years i survived without pussy cards .. serioulsy the worst idea ive ever heard ...... expect it to be trialed next years NAB cup :oops: :roll:
Well said. Cards are crap.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

amen

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. Maybe call them green and blue cards for the sake of not angering the anti-soccer brigade.

There is absolutely nothing stopping a player, under instruction or not, from taking a key player out of commission before the opening bounce of a crucial game.

Imagine making a grand final and then having Riewoldt knocked unconscious early in the game. No rule exists which would detract from that happening. I'd happily spend the first five weeks of the following season on the sidelines shining my premiership medallion.

Call me nasty but if I were coaching in a grand final, I would definitely take advantage of it.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

thats all part of football as it is, thats what makes it so great, so lets stop changing it

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Agreed. Maybe call them green and blue cards for the sake of not angering the anti-soccer brigade.

There is absolutely nothing stopping a player, under instruction or not, from taking a key player out of commission before the opening bounce of a crucial game.

Imagine making a grand final and then having Riewoldt knocked unconscious early in the game. No rule exists which would detract from that happening. I'd happily spend the first five weeks of the following season on the sidelines shining my premiership medallion.

Call me nasty but if I were coaching in a grand final, I would definitely take advantage of it.
But it never really happens. What would be worse a guy sent off for hitting someone or a guy sent off and he didnt actually do it. Surely its the second one.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, fair play. You'd also have players diving all over the place in a bid to get another player sent off.

It would have to involve a video umpire which I would definitely not be a fan of.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Nope. In Australian Football you don't get sent off the field by officials unless you're bleeding everywhere. That shouldn't change.

And imagine that Hall gives a dirty punch (that would warrant a red card) to his opponent 150m off the ball at the start of the game while no one is looking and then goes on to kick 8 goals and win the game for Sydney. Could the opposition then take legal action to have the result changed if they have video evidence that Hall should have been sent off?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Nope. In Australian Football you don't get sent off the field by officials unless you're bleeding everywhere. That shouldn't change.

And imagine that Hall gives a dirty punch (that would warrant a red card) to his opponent 150m off the ball at the start of the game while no one is looking and then goes on to kick 8 goals and win the game for Sydney. Could the opposition then take legal action to have the result changed if they have video evidence that Hall should have been sent off?
So what happens if a player does something the umpire thinks is wrong but is proven not to be abd he is sent off or should it only be when it is 100% correct like Lindy Chamberlian.

SainterX
Club Player

I would say that red cards would only be given if the player does something that rubs an opposing player out for the rest of the game.

Though I tend to agree with the rest now that say this is not needed in our game.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Umpires can't get it right when the penalty is only a free kick, what hope would they have with players taking dives to get an opponent sent off.

Remember Gehrig was reported for striking the lying, cheating, scumbag, skunk, Wanganeen down in Tassie.
Wankerneen took a dive and the umpire, out of position, reported Gehrig. The TV showed quite clearly no contact had even been made.
Gehrig would have been red carded.

Rot in a sewer Wankerneen, you are disgrace to the aboriginal race.

PS I don't like Gavin Wanganeen

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:Agreed. Maybe call them green and blue cards for the sake of not angering the anti-soccer brigade.

then its up to the team to protect the player serioulsy it happens soo rarely it doesnt need a rule

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
ace
Saintsational Legend

1997 Footscray versus Hawthorn
Nick Holland (Hawthorn) giving Chris Grant (Footscray) a football lesson.
Holland (Hawthorn) only man in position to mark.
Grant (Footscray) makes front on, fake attempt to spoil, knocks Holland out cold, right in front of the umpires - no report.
With Holland out for the rest of the match Grant goes on to be best on ground.
Grant does not get a red card, instead Grant gets 3 Brownlow votes.
Grant is convicted on video report, but his 3 Brownlow votes are still read out on the night - 3 votes, Footscray, Chris Grant
Footscray claim Grant was robbed of the Brownlow.
The only way to stop this, is after the game - take away some premiership points and when a player is ineligible for the Brownlow his votes are read out as "3 votes ineligible player."
Last edited by ace on Tue 15 Apr 2008 12:44am, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="st_Trav_ofWA"][quote="OLB"]

Grand Final - Mark Yates (Geelong) runs through Dermott Brereton (Hawthorn), off the ball, at the first bounce.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

NEVER
Take X Clarke on Saturday, the Umpires cant discern if it is the ground or collision that caused the concusssion.
If they bring red cards in, I will be high in the southern stand with a sniper rifle, the flouro colours will make a nice target.

Seeya