Good Effort Boys

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

the last 2 weeks he's kicked 3 goals, i think thats a good start

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:so you wouldn't be happy if he averaged 3 goals a week playing forward/ruck?
yes I would. If he was consistent. But he's not. Never has been. Doesn't dominate or threaten to. 3 goals the last two weeks, 0 against Carlton and 2 against the Swans. Have no confidence in him delivering consistently.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Yes a good start.

Am a huge fan of Kosi and suggested people get on him early for the Coleman - when he was paying $81 - but I didn't get on him at that time ... :oops:

Would love to see him consistently play in winning teams too.

Three goals a game (two in the first ten minutes when we were on fire last week before our worst turnaround since that damned Hawks game) and three today (two in the first half and one when the game was over) is a good start, I agree.

So that's got his last two games covered, when we've been beaten by a collective 80 points.

Go Kosi, I still have money on you for the Coleman.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Iceman234 wrote:I haven't read the whole thread so don't know what direction it's taken.

But I find it beyond bizarre we are now accepting today as a good effort.

Geelong's a gun team blah blah blah.

Any week we dont play them I agree totally.

I'm struggling to come to terms with the fact that we, as Saints supporters, thing it's a good effort that we have been beaten by Geelong by 2 goals more than they beat Melbourne AT THEIR HOME GROUND and we say it's a good effort.

Okay time for me to drop back to 2000/2001 and go along to games with a crowd of 11,000 and accept major defeats as part of being a Saints supporter.

We were beaten by 7 goals (lucky for one after the siren when the game was over) by a team that struggled at times on their home ground against the 2008 wooden spooner.
Its scary isn't it...to think that there are people who see this as a real 'good' effort against the supposed best team in the league! It was only a year and a half ago people were saying it was time to stop accepting these mediocre performances but fast forward to 2008 and its ok to congratulate a team who again failed to show any heart or intensity and lack that special ability that is to play for one another.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:[
Its scary isn't it...to think that there are people who see this as a real 'good' effort against the supposed best team in the league! It was only a year and a half ago people were saying it was time to stop accepting these mediocre performances but fast forward to 2008 and its ok to congratulate a team who again failed to show any heart or intensity and lack that special ability that is to play for one another.
Agree 100%. Applauding insipid medriocrity and spinelessness. Weak as p*ss effort IMO and shows how far we are off the pace in spirit and execution.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote: Its scary isn't it...to think that there are people who see this as a real 'good' effort against the supposed best team in the league! It was only a year and a half ago people were saying it was time to stop accepting these mediocre performances but fast forward to 2008 and its ok to congratulate a team who again failed to show any heart or intensity and lack that special ability that is to play for one another.
But many of these people have posted on umpteen occasions that they believed the whole solution to no longer accepting mediocrity consisted of getting rid of GT and bringing in "supercoach Ross Lyon" with a Swans-style game plan.

They can now see plainly that the end result of these moves has been simply that we have gone from good performances alternating with some disappointingly mediocre ones to a form of consistent uber-mediocrity.

So you can't really blame them for applauding when the team manages to lift its efforts to produce something akin to one of its good old-fashioned GT era sort of mediocre performance: akin to what we produced when we lost to the Swans in the 2005 PF or to West Coast in 2006. It's still a cut above the way we played against the Doggies last week or the Kangas, Blues and Doggies last year! So they might as well applaud....

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: But many of these people have posted on umpteen occasions that they believed the whole solution to no longer accepting mediocrity consisted of getting rid of GT and bringing in "supercoach Ross Lyon" with a Swans-style game plan.

They can now see plainly that the end result of these moves has been simply that we have gone from good performances alternating with some disappointingly mediocre ones to a form of consistent uber-mediocrity.

So you can't really blame them for applauding when the team manages to lift its efforts to produce something akin to one of its good old-fashioned GT era sort of mediocre performance: akin to what we produced when we lost to the Swans in the 2005 PF or to West Coast in 2006. It's still a cut above the way we played against the Doggies last week or the Kangas, Blues and Doggies last year! So they might as well applaud....

The move is an excellent one, last year's draft is finally setting the club back on course.

Lyon knows the types of players needed and we've started drafting them but there are no quick fixes to clean up the awful mess left behind by years of incompetence by Thomas and Rendell.

They set the club back five years with their buffoonery and extroadinarily bad list mismanagement.

So we should be incredibly thankful that they were replaced.

As for Lyon bringing a swan's game style :roll: , you sit in on team meetings do you?

If we didn't have so many slow and unskilled players turning the ball over, the game plan would look like it did in the first quarter of the last two weeks, for the entire four quarters.

That game plan is NOT and does NOT have anything to do with Sydney.

Not game plan, not motivation > getting warmer? > thought not

What does dissapoint me with Lyon thus far is team selection.

On this I am mightly peeved.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
But many of these people have posted on umpteen occasions that they believed the whole solution to no longer accepting mediocrity consisted of getting rid of GT and bringing in "supercoach Ross Lyon" with a Swans-style game plan.

Your CD has a scratch in it Babble-a-lot and it just keeps on playing the same the same the same the same the same...........

devil saint
Club Player

Very warm and fuzzy thread but reality is we still LOST! I couldn't believe that at the end of the game saints supporters were clapping the team. Yes they improved from last week but the players would not have been happy with how they played (delivery, goal kicking, general errors) so why do saints fans, especially those 50+ (sorry to be ageist but its true) continue to applaud mediocity. IMO you deserve a lot more for your loyalty!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

devil saint wrote:Very warm and fuzzy thread but reality is we still LOST! I couldn't believe that at the end of the game saints supporters were clapping the team. Yes they improved from last week but the players would not have been happy with how they played (delivery, goal kicking, general errors) so why do saints fans, especially those 50+ (sorry to be ageist but its true) continue to applaud mediocity. IMO you deserve a lot more for your loyalty!
I will applaud the boys every time they come from the field- yes I was dissapointed and yes they can improve heaps But they have given me 3 hours of entertainment- and many would say that's all footy is entertainment- I appreciate the effort.

BUT you will get much better effort if you give a little in your assessment- much easier to give up when you know noone expects anything of you- people given a little bit of hope will work to be better.
basic behaviour management- even the negatives can be given in way to imporve rather than knock down- wake up calls fine but alternative ways and options provide future.
I saw four obviously sore and struggling players who repeatedly went back onto the ground - knowing they were behind the 8 ball.
they don't lack courage they appear to lack system and adaptability

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
devil saint
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
devil saint wrote:Very warm and fuzzy thread but reality is we still LOST! I couldn't believe that at the end of the game saints supporters were clapping the team. Yes they improved from last week but the players would not have been happy with how they played (delivery, goal kicking, general errors) so why do saints fans, especially those 50+ (sorry to be ageist but its true) continue to applaud mediocity. IMO you deserve a lot more for your loyalty!
I will applaud the boys every time they come from the field- yes I was dissapointed and yes they can improve heaps But they have given me 3 hours of entertainment- and many would say that's all footy is entertainment- I appreciate the effort.

BUT you will get much better effort if you give a little in your assessment- much easier to give up when you know noone expects anything of you- people given a little bit of hope will work to be better.
basic behaviour management- even the negatives can be given in way to imporve rather than knock down- wake up calls fine but alternative ways and options provide future.
I saw four obviously sore and struggling players who repeatedly went back onto the ground - knowing they were behind the 8 ball.
I don't know anything about you saintbrat, except that you love the saints heaps and that's great (I also know that you must have a lot of spare time 'cause you're on here all the time!) Anyway, I just think that loyal saints supporters deserve a bit more and your clapping them off when they lose doesn't win premierships. Let's be honest, we've just barely won one in over 100 years!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:[

yeh Bratty, you're the most consistent Saints mad, generous spirited supporter going around. Three hours of entertainment. If that's what you're happy with, that's fine for you. I'm not. I want to win. I want our boys to be spirited and gutsy and hard at the ball and have a never say die attitude. Pride in the jumper.
I'm not seeing any of that. I'm seeing lack of cohesion, bugger-all spirit when the game's on the line, no killer instinct and a system that is not working. Not good enough. Sorry. There's a lack of passion on the field and I don't care how you dress it up, it sucks.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

devil saint wrote: I don't know anything about you saintbrat, except that you love the saints heaps and that's great (I also know that you must have a lot of spare time 'cause you're on here all the time!) Anyway, I just think that loyal saints supporters deserve a bit more and your clapping them off when they lose doesn't win premierships. Let's be honest, we've just barely won one in over 100 years!
aaaaaaaaah the perils of the internet when judgements can be so far out
yes I have become addicted and that is on record- on here all the time -if only - NO just regularly,
and guess what not clapping doesn't win them either
doing my bit- even if just going each week and paying my membership will atleast make the club viable enough to get the support systems in place and the expertise to asssit them and or others to get it right.
I'm ever the optimist- or just a plain pollyanna - but even when down by 6 goals I look for the positives- thats me
if you need to look at the negatives thats fine for you.

life's too full of negatives to let little positives get away.-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Solar
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
devil saint wrote: I don't know anything about you saintbrat, except that you love the saints heaps and that's great (I also know that you must have a lot of spare time 'cause you're on here all the time!) Anyway, I just think that loyal saints supporters deserve a bit more and your clapping them off when they lose doesn't win premierships. Let's be honest, we've just barely won one in over 100 years!
aaaaaaaaah the perils of the internet when judgements can be so far out
yes I have become addicted and that is on record- on here all the time -if only - NO just regularly,
and guess what not clapping doesn't win them either
doing my bit- even if just going each week and paying my membership will atleast make the club viable enough to get the support systems in place and the expertise to asssit them and or others to get it right.
I'm ever the optimist- or just a plain pollyanna - but even when down by 6 goals I look for the positives- thats me
if you need to look at the negatives thats fine for you .
it's a really good point, there is a fine line between expecting high standards from the boys and just out and out negative bagging. I have never really understood why some go to the game and spend their whole time bitching and moaning about certain players. During the 3 hours of play I tend to believe that constant support is what is needed. I find it hard for the players to lift when the whole crowd is deflated.

I really do love what you do on here, it's the same with people meeting up before the game, creating a sense of club in a time when the footy is becoming more and more corperate.

At the end of the day we all have our own ways we go about things as members and supporters. I can't sing the song as they run out on the ground. Only feels right that we leave that for after a win. Similar with the clapping. If I believe that the boys have given 100% and bleed for the jumper then I will clap them off. I would never leave before the final siren but I will not begrudge anyone doing that.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Your CD has a scratch in it Babble-a-lot and it just keeps on playing the same the same the same the same the same...........
Yes, fair cop. I become a bit obsessional and repetitive when we don't play well. I'll stop going on about it for a while now.

Let's hope we cane the injured Bombers next week, and begin to turn our sorry season around..... :)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift