Nathan Buckleys article in todays Paper

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Nathan Buckleys article in todays Paper

Nathan's article has to be one of the most verbose and boring pieces of writing I have read in a sports section for a while.

His attempts to write a piece that outlines why the Saints have stagnated mostly kept me wondering 'what was he really on about'. It was like he was trying to describe how water is wet.

Put it down to filler in a slow news week.

starsign
Club Player

nathan buckleys article in todays paper

Agree Cairnsman and the most painfully obvious aspect of all when comparing the relative progress of both sides over this specific period Bucks has overlooked
ie serious injuries to star players
We have not been anywhere near todays present selection position, with regard to player availability, throughout that entire period which has been in stark contast to the poofycats

my 1st post! Hi all and Gosainters!

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Re: nathan buckleys article in todays paper

starsign wrote:Agree Cairnsman and the most painfully obvious aspect of all when comparing the relative progress of both sides over this specific period Bucks has overlooked
ie serious injuries to star players
We have not been anywhere near todays present selection position, with regard to player availability, throughout that entire period which has been in stark contast to the poofycats

my 1st post! Hi all and Gosainters!
Welcome aboard starsign.....you're right he should not have bothered.
Last edited by fingers on Sat 12 Apr 2008 9:49am, edited 1 time in total.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

maybe ' before the bounce' on fox could use him as the next ' how to say nothing in 3 min' segment- they got Mark Williams of Port last night.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

now they are writing articles on language to fill football pages
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 11,00.html

Bruised and broken language of footy
By Chip Le Grand
April 12, 2008 "WE fell down in the basics, really, the three phases of the game; contest, pressure and use. It is not catastrophic. It is in isolation but in the context of the season we are two and one, and we play the benchmark team next week so that will really switch us on mentally straight away. We will analyse the mechanics of why that happened and we will train it up on the track."

If you have reached the second paragraph of this story, congratulations. You have passed the first test of modern footy-speak; an insidious, jargon-stuffed language concocted by coaches to explain - or rather obscure - the game in ever more complicated terms.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Gee, I'm no great fan of Bucks, but I thought his article was ok: none of the points he made were new, but he put them altogether in a way that made reasonable reading.

I have also found him quite entertaining and insightful as a TV commentator: a cut above the likes of Silvagni, Walls and Brereton.

BTW, yesterday's Canberra Times had a great picture on the front (which I can't find anywhere on the web) of Buckley in an Ainslie Football Club jersey (which for those who are not familiar with the ACTAFL, is - apart from a brief flirtation with Kangaroos colours a few years ago - is red, white and black a la the Sainters).

Buckley played briefly for Ainslie as a teenager when his dad was transferred down from Darwin to Canberra.

While I think Buckley is the most overrated player of all time, he still wasn't half bad on his day, and the thought of him running around in red, white and black instead of black and white is an appealling fantasy.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
To the top
SS Life Member

"To find their best form, I would like to se someone stand up as a defensive pressure forward to create and disrupt in the Aaron Davey/Cyril Rioli mould, remembering that this is a role every forward is responsible for".

Agree.

I would have Stevens in, on the basis of the bit he showed in the pre-season comp, than Milne who does not have an ability to disrupt.

And particularly supporting the big forwards we rely on (noting the significantly detrimental impact of M. Gardiner missing).

SainterX
Club Player

While I think Buckley is the most overrated player of all time, he still wasn't half bad on his day, and the thought of him running around in red, white and black instead of black and white is an appealling fantasy.

He did play in red, black and white. That day he smeared his blood on Cameron Ling because he could not break the tag :P