Hypothetical: You give a motivational speech to the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Hypothetical: You give a motivational speech to the Saints

This is a hypothetical, imaginary situation. PLEASE don't take it as a chance to be negative or derogatory towards our team. Imagine you are in the rooms pre-game and you get to say something to the team. Be the motivator. What would you say?

------

Here's my attempt ... I’d love to hear yours!
------

Last week means nothing. Today is a whole new game, and it's an opportunity to change the way people think about us. To take on the Premiers and show ourselves and everybody else that we are serious contenders. Everything we do today... whether it's running, kicking, handpassing, tackling, chasing, or anything else... we’ve got to be fully switched on. When we think about our options, when we’re creative, when we play as a team and support our mates, when we click - there’s no one that can beat us. We’ve got to be on fire to win today. We’ve got to do a lot better in the clearances. We can do that, we will be more effective in the ruck and our midfielders will lift. That means all of you must create opportunities, run in packs all day, tackle in numbers, and put your bodies on the line. We need to be unpredictable, play on quickly, break the lines, and stop their run. We need to be attacking, not defensive, in the midfield. Each one of us, individually, can lift. Look at everybody else in the room, look them in the eye, and tell yourself that when you come off the field, you will be able to say, ‘I did my bit. I didn’t let you down’. These are the blokes who matter today, your team-mates. It doesn’t matter what anybody says in the paper, or on TV. What matters is what happens on the field, and the only blokes who will help you are your team-mates. Today we play a team game, 100% of the time. Let’s play to our strengths – when we are on fire, we’ve got an attack that no one can defend against, we’ve got defenders who can break a game open, and we’ve got a midfield that’s gonna run all day and never give in. But we need to be on fire to win. You don’t get games handed to you on a flate. We need a 4 quarter effort. We win when we’re on fire. So we need to fire up. Fire up boys!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

As a coach, wouldn't you hate for all that effort to result in an 100 point slogging.

....Can you actually influence people to be switched on? Hard to say.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:....Can you actually influence people to be switched on?
One motivational speech does not necessarily fit all, but some people are quite susceptible to such speeches. If it gives say 10% boost in "being switched on" to 30% of the players, that's a marked improvement across the board.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i'd tailor mine specifically for this game. he's an attempt that i've cannibalised from another post i made.

remember 2004 when we beat this mob in the wizard cup and then smashed them in round 1 on our way to winning our first 10.

.... and their coach came out and said he thought his young players were better than you.

well now they have a premiership and you guys don't.

that really pisses me off and i don't think you like it either.

i'd be expecting it to burn in your guts ... riewoldt, koschitzke, ball, dal santo, joey ... all you guys who have gone on to become the core of this team.

they are no more talented than you.

they've just had the crucial breaks at the right time. they got on a roll last year and have had luck with injuries that we could only dream of.

you are the ones with a point to prove. we are the hunters. they are the hunted.

in round 1 we beat sydney at their own game. today i want to see you guys give geelong a touch up at their own game.

c'mon boys let's show the entire football world that we are contenders; not pretenders.

let's set the 2008 season alight!

... and milney, pull your socks up
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 10 Apr 2008 4:34am, edited 3 times in total.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Good one BigCarl!

Richter
SS Life Member

Right you bunch of soft c**** - that's right - I call you that because as the old saying goes, "you're only as good as your last game." Time to show me and those fans who have come and watched this team through thick and thin what you're made of.

In 120 mins how do you want me to be addressing you? As mice? Or men?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
esaint66
SS Life Member

Alright listen in ... you boys werent the best last week in fact after quarter toime you went to f*****g sleep. This mob today are the benchmark of the compitition. You embarresed yourselfs and the people like me in the stands. Without us there would be no clubd so lets turn it on. You were bagged in the media this week do u want to give those C**ts another shot to bag you. This is it .... stand up and fight. be proud be loud. contenders. or lay down go to sleep. have no passion shutup. pretenders.

Its up to you boys ..... get out there and get the whole world taliking with a 4 effort today.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

I'd use this one from youtube - it's a little bit colourful though. But it is footy related.

FOUL LANGUAGE WARNING - DON'T CLICK IF FOUL LANGUAGE OFFENDS!

!!!!!WARNING - OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE!!!!!

Mods/forumites - IMO this is suitable under " All material posted must be suitable for those aged from 15 year" but if people take offense or think it appropriate I'm happy to remove the link.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i've seen that one before. a minor classic. makes you want to run through a brick wall for the guy
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 09 Apr 2008 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote: In 120 mins how do you want me to be addressing you? As mice? Or men?
Love this part :D

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Don't think. DO!!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Don't think. DO!!
john kennedy

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Excuse me, I think I said it before this John Kennedy character.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
esaint66
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:
Richter wrote: In 120 mins how do you want me to be addressing you? As mice? Or men?
Love this part :D

I know it is really ... stirring ( pretty poor choice of words i know but it's all i had :lol: )

esaint66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:Don't think. DO!!
john kennedy

That speech was probably one of the most inspirational things i have ever heard. :D :wink:

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:I'd use this one from youtube - it's a little bit colourful though. But it is footy related.

Mods/forumites - IMO this is suitable under " All material posted must be suitable for those aged from 15 year" but if people take offense or think it appropriate I'm happy to remove the link.
Ahhhh .... the f@#kin Shepherds f@#kin Bush f@#kin Raiders - West London Wildcats second team in the British Australian Rules footy League

Biggest bunch of bogans you are ever likely to meet and seemingly obsessed with putting things up their bottoms :lol:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

if you guys don't show any balls out there, filandia will be doing the inspection to see if you have any...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!