How Thomo would attack Geelong this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintersfan3

How Thomo would attack Geelong this week

Noticed a few people chatting about Lyon and Thomo's different coaching styles. Interesting article just published on NineMSN for Saints fans. Check it out: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/Blog.aspx?blogid=4088

spert
Saintsational Legend

GT approach--who's he..oh yeah an ex-coach from a couple of years ago. He's the bloke who couldn't get a flag when he had the team to do it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: How Thomo would attack Geelong this week

without wishing to start world war 3 on here, he has some interesting things to say. worth a read whether you love him or hate him

First and foremost I would not consider any player that is not 100% fit and ready to endure the challenge. I would wait on Maguire.

St Kilda will not meet Geelong again this year until finals so it would be good to keep something up your sleeve for next time. Gehrig needs to take Scarlett up the ground, wide and away from the last line of defence – effectively play a decoy role – but using his experience and guile to score a couple of goals and set a couple more up. It would be good if he can also provide some verbal and physical attention to divert Scarlett’s attention and focus.

Koschitzke and Riewoldt to rotate from goal square to dangerous spot 35 metres out from goal. Their synergy and ability to work cohesively together will be very important.

Milne must always be driving towards the marking contest and be front and square to defensive spoils. It is imperative he does not fly past the contest empty handed. It is equally important for him not to be deep and in a “receivingâ€

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert to take Mooney and Blake to take Hawkins seems a tad risky however I would set Sam Fisher to the least dangerous forward Gamble, Kelly etc which will enable him to provide the critical third man support required for Blake and Gilbert.

who says gilbert & blake will be playing this w.e

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
First and foremost I would not consider any player that is not 100% fit and ready to endure the challenge. I would wait on Maguire.
It is good to see that he has changed his philophosy from when he was the coach.

The Penny has probably dropped that our new conditioning approach is achieving more players on the park and that our previous policy of often playing injured players, often in big games, normally bit us on the bum badly.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
It is good to see that he has changed his philophosy from when he was the coach.

The Penny has probably dropped that our new conditioning approach is achieving more players on the park and that our previous policy of often playing injured players, often in big games, normally bit us on the bum badly.
luke penny was terrible anyway...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

part 2

Geelong have several avenues for goal however they are predominately Mooney, Hawkins, Johnson and Chapman. Leigh Fisher is ideal for Chapman. When Chapman and Ablett change both Clarke and Leigh Fisher can go with their opponents irrespective of whether its midfield or forward. Grammy should pick up Stokes who is dangerous but will be in two minds about Grams rebound and drive capability.

Raph Clarke will provide support to the defenders and Harvey will be rotated through the midfield. Charlie Gardiner could provide a breather for Gehrig, Koschitzke and Riewoldt as a lead up forward. Geary is a viable option for Stokes also.

I would insist that St Kilda players are relentlessly aggressive, in first and hard and provide unbending pressure to the Cats. A key part of the plan would be to follow through with tackles and not allow them to give one-two handballs to break the lines. Make them kick over rather than splitting through you with run and carry.

I would back them in transition to play on instantly and without fear to move the ball with breakneck speed to our key forwards whilst not allowing their defenders to set themselves. The ball movement would be definitely inside and the corridor is where we want to be travelling when we are about to release to our forward 50 area.

Finally I would look them all in the eye, tell them how fortunate they are to be in the privileged position they are in and that life is defined by challenges like this and that no matter what happens out on the field of battle we attack every contest with 100% effort from 100% of the team 100% of the time and we all will be eternally proud of the outcome.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

BC, that was brilliant, I can't remember the last time I saw St.Kilda dictate the way the game will go and this week is the perfect opportunity to turn it around, the only thing I would change is give Dal Santo more of a run in the middle then he has been getting recently, after all the flack he has been given recently he will have a point to prove...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: luke penny was terrible anyway...
Wrong. The two players from 2004/05 who made us a premiership team were Luke Penny and Aaron Hamill, a quality backman who rarely made mistakes and took saving marks and a forward who was tougher than any backman and kicked the crucial goal. Had both been fit in the crunch preliminary finals things would have been different. We are yet to find replacements for either, especially Hamill.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i actually like luke penny pitty him and hamils knees where stuffed,

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Penny when not injured was our best backman easily.

Was really disappointed when he gave it away (would still only be 26/27) imagine him in the side now with Fisher and Goddard taking the 3rd or 4th or even 5th (with goose) defenders.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The two Gardiners were in....but who was out???

L Fisher???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plumtire
Club Player

How thomo would attack geelong this week

With a couple of tanks and half a brigade!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The bit I liked the most about this article was the idea of playing BJ and Dal well forward.

Doubt we'll see anything of the sort, alas.....

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

sounds interesting

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Great article.

I didn't agree with every tactical ploy, but it was an interesting insight nontheless.

Reckon he slightly overestimated the talents of some players, but that probably stems from him knowing the players intimately and what they are capable of.

For example, I'm a little sceptical about a number of players - Raph Clarke is certainly one. I doubt he's capable of doing a job right now when he's turning the ball over so frequently.

Glad he didn't mention Blake - simply cannot afford to play this bloke against Geelong.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:Penny when not injured was our best backman easily.

Was really disappointed when he gave it away (would still only be 26/27) imagine him in the side now with Fisher and Goddard taking the 3rd or 4th or even 5th (with goose) defenders.
Penny was a massive loss.

The loss of him as a key stopping defender who was never beaten, plus the speed, line breaking and great kicking of Aussie were just crucial.

To win 14 games the year we lost two players as important as that was incredible.

Still haven't really replaced them.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

The loss of him as a key stopping defender who was never beaten, plus the speed, line breaking and great kicking of Aussie were just crucial.

To win 14 games the year we lost two players as important as that was incredible.

Gram is no Aussie Jones. Let's make that clear. Gram just pumps it high and long; Jones could whip in and out of the defensive 50m and bullet a 55m pass to the chest of Riewoldt or Gehrig.

Sam Fisher, while a very good player, is perhaps not as valuble to us as Luke Penny potentially was.

Their absence has cost us dearly, but if Goose and Max can find full fitness, added to Goddard and Chips, we can boast a strong enough defence.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:The two Gardiners were in....but who was out???

L Fisher???
He's got Fisher on Chapman. As far as I can tell, the outs would be two of Luke Ball ( :shock: ), Robert Harvey ( :roll: ) and Aaron Fiora. I don't like those outs.

As best I can, I've tried to set this out in a traditional lineup format (bolded players weren't mentioned, but he didn't mention a full Geelong team):

Gram/Stokes - Blake/Hawkins - Hudghton/S. Johnson
S. Fisher/Kelly - Gilbert/Mooney - L. Fisher/Chapman
Ball/Corey - Hayes/Bartel - Schneider/Selwood
Dal Santo/Rooke - Riewoldt/Enright - Goddard/Milburn
Milne/Wojcinski - Koschitzke/Harley - Gehrig/Scarlett
King/Blake - Montagna/Ling - X. Clarke/Ablett

M. Gardiner/West - R. Clarke/Hunt - C. Gardiner/Taylor - Geary/Gamble

For the record, I'd expect Taylor to go to Kosi and, if he plays, Mackie to go to Riewoldt. Hunt will probably go to Milne. I also wouldn't be playing C. Gardiner if we have Goddard and Dal playing up forward. I'd drop him and R. Clarke for Fiora and Harves. Do that, and I'm happy with the 22, and would be interested to see some of the matchups.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

coulda, woulda shoulda.

i thank GT for what he did during his time at st kilda, now he's just another commentator.

FWIW we were so far ahaed of geeling they put their fastest player to shut down milne 3 seasons ago.

lets see what happens.

melbourne gave Geelong a scare for 3 quarters, however heart can only take you so far and they got beaten.

St Kilda has enough talent to burn, but we were out played, out muscled, out run and out coached and out hearted if such a word exists by footscray.

Geelong have always hated st kilda, since we showed form in the 96/97/98 and then again 04/05/06 probably more than we hate them.

they have a premiership and they'll want grind our noses in the mud after a lacklustre show against melbourne.

this will be a test of st kilda's heart tbh.

win lose or draw, i want to see st kilda show more heart than against the doggies.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:coulda, woulda shoulda.

i thank GT for what he did during his time at st kilda, now he's just another commentator.
He's another commentator and supporter.

He's allowed his say, just like you. Except he gets paid to have an opinion.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:The bit I liked the most about this article was the idea of playing BJ and Dal well forward.
i like that too.

there's no agenda here i say a this without attempting a swipe at our incumbent, but gt was probably under-rated tactically and actually had a pretty good nose for what might work.

i respect his football brain.

sounds like he still loves the club, despite him suing us and all that

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

would anyone care to read Caro's plan on how she would caoch the saints this week or how bout Wallsy !!! :roll: :roll:

the only person i want to see coaching the saints is Ross Lyon any one elses game plan is just an opinion and you know what they say about opinions ... they are like a**holes everyones got one but really no one wants to hear them

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:you know what they say about opinions ... they are like a**holes everyones got one but really no one wants to hear them
if i were coach i'd like to hear everyone's opinion. gives you more ideas and potentially more options. but that's just me.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Aussie Jones ahs been well and truely replaced.

J Gram